shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help- modifying a modern setting to suit an old cut?

What should I do with my setting?

• Fishtail

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Milgrained bezel

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other head (please include an example)

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Totally new setting (please include an example)

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Leave it as it is

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! :wavey: I need some opinions on setting options.

I have a very plain temp setting with a 2mm YG shank (slight knife edge) and the most monstrous 6 prong WG head you've ever seen. :errrr: It constantly catches on things, scratches me and my husband, and whacks into anything in whack-able radius. After a year and a half, I found myself using excuses to leave it at home, because I just hated wearing it and disliked how it looked.

I think old cuts look nicest with antique settings, but with a budget under $500, it makes more sense to tweak my current setting than spend more on a new 'temp' setting only to replace that too in a few years when we're in a position to reset it to a permanent home. Gypsy suggested I could add engraving to the shank, and swap out the head, which sounds like a great idea. (Thanks Gypsy!)

I've gotten a quote of $200 to add some beautiful hand engraving to the shank, which leaves me with a bit left over to consider head options. The shank is very thin, though, so that makes me wonder what sort of head would suit an engraved thin shank?

I was thinking either fishtail prongs (although I am not 100% keen on the squared-off stone look) or a milgrained bezel (like this) ... I used to love 6 prongs above all else but mine are so visually dominant. ;( I'm also open to suggestions including a totally new setting, provided it has a YG shank and white metal head, and is under budget including resizing- my swollen digits are a massive 9.5! :-o

I would love to hear people's suggestions, and have included a few pictures below of my current setting.

The terrifying prongs in all their ravenous glory:
highsetting.jpg

Knife edge/shank detail:
oecorangefireps.jpg
Front shot (and before it had a good clean):
pastelfacets.jpg

Handshot for perspective, with an antique silver band that I got in the mail today (I wouldn't wear these all together, it was just to show a friend the new band):
stackedwithsilverps_0.jpg

The ultra modern setting with my plain w-band, combined with the chunky facets is just so jarring, imo.

Thanks in advance for any opinions and advice! ::)

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Setting help- modifying a modern setting to suit an old

Galateia,

You can get a fishtail setting for under $200 from Amcor Designs. poppyseed on DB is the contact. I'll try to find photos later today. They may have other designs that appeal to you.

Sorry I don't have time to get all the info right now but I'm working remotely in the middle of the forest and have some work I need to get done this morning. I should be able to get more complete info later today.

liz

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

LibbyLA|1363525076|3407029 said:
Galateia,

You can get a fishtail setting for under $200 from Amcor Designs. poppyseed on DB is the contact. I'll try to find photos later today. They may have other designs that appeal to you.

Sorry I don't have time to get all the info right now but I'm working remotely in the middle of the forest and have some work I need to get done this morning. I should be able to get more complete info later today.

liz

Hi liz, thanks for the reply. :)

Please don't shoot me (because I really do appreciate you taking the time to suggest it, especially while working in the middle of a forest!), but I'm not a fan of how the prongs are shaped in that particular fishtail mount. They look sort of ... melted? The bottom two 'dots' of the fishtail are merged together so they form a single bar over the stone, you can see it here on their FB page:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/424347_226528860802415_1681005014_n.jpg

I think if I go the fishtail route, I'd like the prongs to be a bit articulated, like this one from antiqueengangementrings.com.
This is an interesting type I hadn't seen before also from antiqueengangementrings.com.
But I imagine this second type would be expensive, considering it's more elaborate. The 3 dots kind would be fine too, and I bet they're easier (and therefore cheaper) to do.

If I do fishtail prongs, do you think the points will catch on things?

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

nielseel|1363526959|3407052 said:
here is a setting i really love
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/tulip-airline-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/5336

under 500 for 14k, under 550 for 18k. I think it would look lovely and i think its a fairly good price.

Not a terrible idea to modify the old setting, but for me id start fresh, I just think id probably start fresh

This setting is beautiful! I like the taper at of the shank as it meets the head, the two-tone metal, and the double prongs are great. However, it's still a fairly modern setting and I'd want to have engraving added to the shank at least, so between that and the cost of setting the stone, that will put me way over budget. I am bookmarking it, though! ::)

Edit: I would need to get it resized as well, as they only go up to size 9. Curse you, tubby sausage fingers!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Galateia|1363547290|3407237 said:
nielseel|1363526959|3407052 said:
here is a setting i really love
http://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/tulip-airline-solitaire-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/5336

under 500 for 14k, under 550 for 18k. I think it would look lovely and i think its a fairly good price.

Not a terrible idea to modify the old setting, but for me id start fresh, I just think id probably start fresh

This setting is beautiful! I like the taper at of the shank as it meets the head, the two-tone metal, and the double prongs are great. However, it's still a fairly modern setting and I'd want to have engraving added to the shank at least, so between that and the cost of setting the stone, that will put me way over budget. I am bookmarking it, though! ::)

Edit: I would need to get it resized as well, as they only go up to size 9. Curse you, tubby sausage fingers!

haha im sure they would modify the size for you without you having to get it resized. And in that pick your fingers look anything but sausagie.

but i understand your want to engrave, id probably just ad a millgrained bezel to it

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock

galateia,

Doesn't bother me if it's not your favorite! I've seen quite a few pictures of that setting and sometimes the prongs look like swirl of ice cream, which I like, and sometimes it looks like a dot at the corner, then a straight trough, then a straight bar. I don't like the second version at all. I guess it's all in how the prongs are finished.

That company may have some of the fishtail prongs that look like three beads.

You have to find what YOU love.

liz

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

I did a mock up of what the fishtail prongs would look like on my current setting if the engraving had been added, and without engraving:

Apparently I should not have had so much salt yesterday ... I could live, camel-style, off the water in my fingers for days! :rodent:
fishtailmockup-engrave.jpg
Close-up of the "engraving":
fishtailmockup-engrave-close.jpg
And without the "engraving":
fishtailmockup-noengrave-close.jpg

What do you all think?

I plan on doing a mock-up of what it would look like with a migrained bezel, but my mouse hand is tired and my eyes are crossed. :cheeky:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love how your ring looks with fishtail prongs ... but I love fishtail prongs. You say you're not sure about the squared-off look - why? Any chance you can try some on before altering the ring?

My second choice would be the milgrain bezel - I love that look, and you just don't get any safer. But if you want something in between, maybe an eight-prong head would make a good compromise?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

I like the fishtail head with engraved shank, but you'd probably be better off to replace both the head and shank with an all-new ring in that case.

If you like that idea, but not the skyscraper prongs, Wink Jones has done several rings that are a Roseco cathedral shank of whatever width, plus a Stuller Solstice head. Google roseco cathedral solstice ring and look at the Images tab. But the larger the diamond, the taller the head has to be.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I really like this head: http://www.stuller.com/products/1897/?groupId=9099&series=1897

You would need a good bench because I think they would been to cut the shank to spread the cathedrals a little to fit the wider basket. But that doesn't seem so hard. So you can order a new shank, which could just be cheaper anyways since that thin a shank does not use much gold.

I owned the fishtail mount my Poppyseed. It is nice but the head really squares off the shape of a round and I did not like it with the 6.2mm stone I had. With a larger stone it might look OK.

Still, I prefer the scropp stuller scroll basket head I posted. You can set the stone nice and low, do claw prongs, add engraving to the shank. Would be lovely.

I do not like the Roseco combo TC mentioned: All the examples I have seen look sky high with the solstice head! I don't think you would like i t.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

I need to zip off for errands, but here is a mock up of the migrained bezel:
milgrain-engrave.jpg
and a close-up:
milgrain-engrave-close.jpg

Be back in a bit!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, I love the thought of fishtail prongs! I rarely see them.
Just wanted to chime in I have my grandmother's 3 stone with fishtail prongs and it really never catches on fabric. The setting I have is incredibly sturdy and the prongs are quite rounded and smooth....
I don't consider it a very delicate option, but I like the squaring style...

Here's a photo...my phone is not cooperating...probably too blurry to make out the prongs.

_4531.jpg

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

Circe|1363552485|3407281 said:
I love how your ring looks with fishtail prongs ... but I love fishtail prongs. You say you're not sure about the squared-off look - why? Any chance you can try some on before altering the ring?

My second choice would be the milgrain bezel - I love that look, and you just don't get any safer. But if you want something in between, maybe an eight-prong head would make a good compromise?

With honking size 9.5 digits, finding anything I can try on beforehand would be a real challenge! Plus, I live in the middle of nowhere with nary an antique-friendly jewellery store to be seen for in-person ogling. What do you think of the mock-up with the milgrained bezel?

Dreamer_D said:
I really like this head: http://www.stuller.com/products/1897/?groupId=9099&series=1897

You would need a good bench because I think they would been to cut the shank to spread the cathedrals a little to fit the wider basket. But that doesn't seem so hard. So you can order a new shank, which could just be cheaper anyways since that thin a shank does not use much gold.
Hmm, do you think it's possible to get an entirely new shank, engraving, and new head for under 500? I'm OK with getting a new shank but that would take up some of my budget.

I owned the fishtail mount my Poppyseed. It is nice but the head really squares off the shape of a round and I did not like it with the 6.2mm stone I had. With a larger stone it might look OK.
Mine is 7mm, so it will have the same squared off issue. It just looks bigger because it's set so dang high.
Still, I prefer the scropp stuller scroll basket head I posted. You can set the stone nice and low, do claw prongs, add engraving to the shank. Would be lovely.

I do not like the Roseco combo TC mentioned: All the examples I have seen look sky high with the solstice head! I don't think you would like i t.
Yeah, I really do not want a high setting at all, and in fact the jeweller (the best rated one in town) promised me when set the prongs would barely clear the swoops of the cathedral, when in fact they're more like 1/3rd of the way up! :-o

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

Harpertoo|1363554825|3407299 said:
Oh, I love the thought of fishtail prongs! I rarely see them.
Just wanted to chime in I have my grandmother's 3 stone with fishtail prongs and it really never catches on fabric. The setting I have is incredibly sturdy and the prongs are quite rounded and smooth....
I don't consider it a very delicate option, but I like the squaring style...

Here's a photo...my phone is not cooperating...probably too blurry to make out the prongs.

Good to know! I would have thought the edges would be snagging things left and right.

Cluless said:

It's 7mm, and yes I love filigree! :) The issue I would see with those dome-shaped rings is that they'll be quite high and it will be tricky to wear them with a straight wedding band.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Poppyseed and amcor can get findings from any casting house. I find her prices are really amazing. Can't hurt to ask.

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

Circe said:
Or perhaps ....
[url=http://diamondbistro.com/cate...o-Platinum-Replica-Fishtail-Setting-US-6.html[/url]

Is your stone precisely 7 mm? 'Cause if it's even a hair smaller, this might do nicely ....

Pretty much, yes. :blackeye: It's a very pretty setting, though! I would be happy to find something like that, provided it had a YG shank and was under budget of course :Up_to_something:

I went on to create a mock-up of what it would look like with those swoopy sort of fishtails, but I think I may have met the limit of my photoediting skills:
alt-fishtail-engrave.jpg
Close up:
alt-fishtail-engrave-close.jpg

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like Nielseel's suggestion of the tulip in YG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Galateia! I think a milgrain bezel would look really great with your stone!

I also love your plain gold band...could you tell me how many mm wide it is? Thanks!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

Cluless|1363605048|3407656 said:

Thank you for the suggestions 8) I hadn't thought of Etsy so I will have to poke through there! I think if I do replace the setting entirely, I will want something in a dainty style, so it will play nicely with my wedding band.
Clairitek said:
Cluless|1363605048|3407656 said:

Even though it doesn't have a fishtail head I think this is a great option and budget friendly! Setting fee at your jeweler is about $100? Less a little for scrapping the existing setting. Seems like a great option.

Your stone's faceting is awesome and I love your photoshop skills!

Aww, thanks! I use a free software called gimp that I got to put watermarks on photos I post online, and I've only used it for cropping and adjusting the colour if my little point-and-shoot camera messes up on the colour of my pictures. A few nights ago it occurred to me as I was trying to imagine the perfect 5 stone band for our upcoming 5 year anniversary (that will be another thread) that I could try to mock it up in gimp, but it was soooo hard! :knockout:

I think I am getting better with practice, but tt's frustrating how little skill I have, it takes me forever to get reasonably close to what I want it to look like, then I just give up and post the closest I got. :nono:

Laila619 said:
Hi Galateia! I think a milgrain bezel would look really great with your stone!

I also love your plain gold band...could you tell me how many mm wide it is? Thanks!

My e-ring is 2mm and my w-band is 4mm in a 9.5 :) The wedding band was the most important thing for me, and it was very important that DH's ring and mine be a perfect match. The only difference is that his is a 5mm, because he doesn't stack it with anything of course! :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results