shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Fees

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I can understand the need for a setting fee. Between the risk involved in setting a stone (as I read in a prior thread) and the need to pay someone in a jewelery store to do it, it is a fair thing.

My question is why do setting fees seem to be such a mystery. I know some build it into the price of settings and others don''t. Why don''t jewelers online and B&M just come out and tell you about it when you are contemplating a setting or requesting information.

I don''t like being suprised when I''m wrapping up a transaction only to find out I owe more $$$. Does anyone have any thoughts on this subject?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is always best to have all the numbers in front of you before you go ahead. Surprises at the end of a deal don't make for good feelings. Many variables have an effect on what it costs to set a diamond. The shape, the weight, the prong type are just a few. It would make for sort of a complex chart for a web based transaction, but should be very easy at the counter or over the phone when a specific diamond has already been chosen and the mounting is already decided upon...

It sounds unusual to me that you have had a problem, but maybe I misunderstand your question. Were you told one amount and then a much higher amount at the time of pick up?

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I hesitate to say to much, because I don't want to come off as unhappy with the vendor. It was just something that caught me offguard.

This is an online purchase. The vendor worked with me on finding diamonds. They also quoted me prices on the settings ahead of time. It was not until I called in my order officially (to give give financial info, etc.) that they told me about the setting fee. I felt it was something they could have addressed when I inquired about the settings for the project. Maybe this is commonplace, but I have never bought loose and had something set, so I was completely taken off guard.

Again, I don't mean this as a bash of the vendor (if anyone knows who it is), but more as a slight discomfort at the end of the transaction.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wonka,

Customers often wish to buy the diamond and mounting separately. Most dealers try to accomodate this and will price their merchandise accordingly. As you mentioned, it's entirely appropriate that the craftsman who sets the stone should be paid for thier work but they dealer who made the sale didn't know until the end if you were going to hire them or someone in your home community for that particular part of the deal. I agree that they should have probably discussed this earlier but it sounds like they actually treated you fairly. I'm sure they would have been happy to send you the ring with the stone unmounted if you had prefered, and this is not an unusual request.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Denver -

I appreciate your comments, and I do understand that it can be fairly common to purchase the mounting and diamond but not have it set. I don't feel I was treated unfairly, I just feel there would have been a more appropriate time to inform me of their setting fees than at the end of the call where I was purchasing the diamonds. Could they not have said when I requested a setting quote, "if you are planning on buying the settings through us and actually have us set it, there is a $$$ per carat charge." I don't think that is too much for them to state upfront.

For example, we went out last night to look at ering settings (as the situation I am talking about in this thread is diamond stud earrings and pendant). The jeweler was upfront almost immediately by telling us having the diamond set by them would cost an additional $50-$75. depending on the size of the diamond.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/18/2004 1:57:46 PM wonka27 wrote:

Denver -

I appreciate your comments, and I do understand that it can be fairly common to purchase the mounting and diamond but not have it set. I don't feel I was treated unfairly, I just feel there would have been a more appropriate time to inform me of their setting fees than at the end of the call where I was purchasing the diamonds. Could they not have said when I requested a setting quote, 'if you are planning on buying the settings through us and actually have us set it, there is a $$$ per carat charge.' I don't think that is too much for them to state upfront.

For example, we went out last night to look at ering settings (as the situation I am talking about in this thread is diamond stud earrings and pendant). The jeweler was upfront almost immediately by telling us having the diamond set by them would cost an additional $50-$75. depending on the size of the diamond.----------------

100% agree the vendor that didnt mention it upfront needs to get with it and change how they do things.
Point them to this thread :}

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, storm! It is rare anyone agrees with me lately
16.gif

Carmel

Shiny_Rock
Ah, come on now…you’ll probably get a big old heart shaped box of chocolates and a slobbery apology from that vendor now that you’ve created such a ruckus!!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Well count me in, I agree with you and Strm. If I'd just spent thousands of $$$ on a diamond and thousands more for a setting, then someone says it's 50 bucks extra to set the stone...
nono.gif
If it's one of the 2%-over-cost vendors I can see how that's in line with the business model, otherwise the heck with it.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I did voice my concern with the vendor about not getting that info a little more upfront. The response I received was not necessarily apologetic, not did it lead me to believe that they felt it was something they should do or consider.

In any event, the deal is done, the money isn't really an issue. I'm expecting to receive a beautiful earring and pendant set!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results