shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chicky

Rough_Rock
Consider me either lucky or cursed. My soon to be fiance recently gave me 100% control over selecting stone and setting for my ring. The stone was never a prob; I went with a 1.17 round Superbcert (F, I1). The setting, however, has been a nightmare. First I selected the vatche x prong pave setting then before they began work I changed it to the comfort fit x prong with channel set sides. My ring was finished this week; went to see it, was NOT impressed with the Vatche setting at all. It just looked very delicate and flimy once it was built; there was really nothing to it. So back to square one and we lost 20% on the setting now because it was custom built. My BF is a gem, he wasn''t too upset with the loss because he wants me to be happy. Picking out the setting is hands down, the TOUGHEST part! Early on I liked the plat settings with pear shaped sides but then after trying several on, I just think they always wind up looking like a three stone ring (ala debeers) and not an engagement ring. Yesterday I (finally) selected a setting that I think is ''the one'' and I say that because I got all choked up when trying it on ect. The sales rep even had an round 1.18 F color to place in the setting so I see how the sides match up. Granted it wasn''t a superbcert F but I nonetheless the look was classic. It''s a platinum setting TCW .70 which consists of two rounds .25 each and two tapered baguettes that are .10 each. It''s being sized now and then I can give it over to superbcert so they can set their own diamond as they are the experts. My only concern is now after learning so much about platinum, etc, I am paranoid about buying in a regular storefront environment. The setting was stamped plat 950.....is there anything I should be concerned about here or can I finally sit back and relax?

Thanks for your help and for reading my long winded tale!

chicky

Rough_Rock
I just want to add that the setting is $1250; does that seem alarmingly inexpensive? The quality of the sides was g/h color which looked nice against the F stone the sales rep dropped in.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results