shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting Dilemma - Prongs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cp1986

Rough_Rock
So I have a dilemma (which seems to have been debated here) that I would appreciate some expert feedback on. I''ve settled on a cushion cut diamond for an engagement ring but am having a dilemma with the setting. I initially thought I wanted all platinum but one person in the industry told me to get a platinum setting except for the prongs as that should be in white gold. Her rationale was that platinum was more malleable so there is a bigger risk of "jarring" the stone loose. Is this the case? And would the white gold prongs go yellow even if it doesn''t touch her skin?

Any thoguhts would be much appreciated. Thanks!

RxTechRN2b

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t do that, the white gold will look different than the platinum as they wear. Platinum is strong -- in fact, I always heard the opposite. My engagement ring to my XH was yellow gold with platinum prongs, and I never had a single problem in 20 years of 24/7 wear, and it never went to the jewelers for tightening (I checked it by shaking next my ear and listening for rattling, and also touching the diamond tacle with pencil eraser to see it it moved).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

This thread gives lots of info and others experiences, so it should be helpful.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/why-do-b-m-jewelers-discourage-platinum.38716/

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/15/2008 10:58:32 AM
Author: RxTechRN2b
I wouldn''t do that, the white gold will look different than the platinum as they wear. Platinum is strong -- in fact, I always heard the opposite. My engagement ring to my XH was yellow gold with platinum prongs, and I never had a single problem in 20 years of 24/7 wear, and it never went to the jewelers for tightening (I checked it by shaking next my ear and listening for rattling, and also touching the diamond tacle with pencil eraser to see it it moved).

Ditto Terry. I''ve always heard the exact opposite. Pure gold is one of the most malleable substances on earth, but the alloys used in jewelery grade gold give it more strength. Go with all platinum if you can afford it, otherwise, all white gold to keep the prongs looking like the shank. My avatar picture is yellow gold with platinum prongs which is more secure for the diamond.

cp1986

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I was leaning towards all platinum and this confirmed my views on it. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results