shape
carat
color
clarity

Set my 2.47 F IF Asscher - design ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
here you go
11.gif

PadsForStarry.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really really like the colored traps for a woman''s ring.

Blue, green or orange, I think they really look great with an asscher in the middle.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Love the first ring you posted as it''s my all time favourite Leon Mege design! Go with all diamonds cause you don''t sound too sure about coloured sides- diamonds go with everything.
2.gif

Have you told us what shape stone you''ll have for your engagement ring? If the end product is as beautiful as your humongous pink sapphire with moon sides or this new project then I can''t wait to see pictures once you have it!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
starry, could you give stats on your ering? I love all the stuff posted, esp. the Escobar ring, but am curious what will be going on on the LEFT hand...before I can comment about the right!!!

What a beauty, I love the asschers (I have an emerald cut which is semi similar, in terms of being linear and step cut)...it will be stunning no matter what!

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscher center with diamond traps on the sides is too delicious to pass up! (btw, you are a talented sketch artist!!) It''s a combo that is classic yet VERY uncommon in the real world. I''ve personally never seen that combination in person...Widget''s LM beauty was the closest I''ve seen but she doesn''t count as real world since she''s PS.
2.gif
9.gif
I do like the idea of colored side stones since it''s a RHR, but I think colored stones are ONLY right for you if you''re a "colored stone person," know what I mean? I''m not that drawn to colored stones for myself, tho I do appreciate their beauty.

Wow, that Joe Escobar is STUNNING. But, I think the asscher''s linear shape and windmill lines are totally lost in that curvy square halo. Personally, I think that asschers are best showcased in simple, sleek settings where they''re allowed to be "naked." The split shank design is pretty too, and would be great for a RHR. But I still say that trap sides are the most flattering, *cleanest* accompaniment to an asscher. Either way, your stone is a knockout and whatever you will do with it is gonna be kicken!!!
9.gif

diamondsRforever

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 12:50:34 AM
Author: KristyDarling
(btw, you are a talented sketch artist!!)

Definitely Agree.

I think all of the settings shown are all beautiful so you really can''t go wrong whichever setting you choose. but my preference out of all the choices would be the Daniel K split crown replica by Adwar!!!
18.gif

Just my opinion
26.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
You all are so great! Thanks so much for taking the time to internalize, post extra ideas, and give me your honest opinions! I owe you all a few answers, particularly about my e-ring.

My fiance-to-be is extremely sweet, sensitive, and thoughtful. He is well-aware of my diamond/gemstone fetish and takes it in stride. Thank goodness! It is very important to me to not have a right-hand ring that upstages my e-ring. He is secure about his decisions, but I don't want him to see something bigger on my right hand. The idea of hurting his feelings tears my heart out. Hence, I actually like the fact that asschers face-up smaller! I want something nice, but quietly elegant on my right hand.

I'm not sure of the final e-stone but it will be a RB, set in a simple solitaire, with a twist. Simple though - clean lines. Ok, so knowing this, now what do you all think? Any other setting thoughts for that "quiet elegance"? I've seen some references to a 1922 Cartier setting?

Additionally,

PS Admin (since I don't know your real identity yet!): You're funny, green lipstick! That picture with the pad's is great! Two identical matching pads in the right size traps would be a tough one to pin down, but spectacular! I'm still not sure about the color commitment though. I REALLY appreciate the ideas though! Your photoshop skills are awesome. Thanks!

Diamondseeker: I slept on it. That halo is gorgeous, but it makes the stone look huge. In most cases this is probably the way to go, but I want to be sensitive and not upstage the e-ring-to-be. I think I will have to save this one for another project! Thanks for this image - it's beautiful.

LisaC: Thanks for the compliments on the pink sapphire! It was a long wait, but well worth it. I am really thrilled with this ring, especially after learning the stone was NOT heat-treated. Bonus!

KristyDarling: I feel more comfortable with 3-stones after seeing yours - it's soooo well done! I agree that simpler is better, particularly in this case. Glad you liked the sketches too - thanks! I want to practice the 3/4 side angle - it's tough to do though, but sooo important.

diamondfan: Thanks! I love Emerald Cuts too. I'm trying NOT to look at them!

Kenny: Thanks for your input. Can't wait to see your asscher's final setting. Did you decide?

diamondsRforever: Thanks! That Adwar may be a good deal. The catalog's dimensions though were max 7 mm. I'm just over this, so does that mean I HAVE TO go custom? I'm torn between Whiteflash and Leon Mege. LM stuff is really nice. Is WF as good?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, I''m still undecided, but asquareguy''s titanium tenstion-set asscher is really really fine!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
starry, I didn''t suggest this earlier, as you seemed to be leaning another way. Seriously, an Asscher in this setting is my DREAM ring. It is absolutely "quiet elegance".

The Cartier setting...

asshercut1001.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 11:57:43 AM
Author: Ellen
starry, I didn''t suggest this earlier, as you seemed to be leaning another way. Seriously, an Asscher in this setting is my DREAM ring. It is absolutely ''quiet elegance''.

The Cartier setting...

Thanks for this Ellen. I definitely want to keep an open mind and am very interested in other setting ideas. This looks like a really nice one, and it has the double claw prongs. Have you seen it from any other angles?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 12:05:05 PM
Author: starryeyed

Thanks for this Ellen. I definitely want to keep an open mind and am very interested in other setting ideas. This looks like a really nice one, and it has the double claw prongs. Have you seen it from any other angles?
Here''s a version with a lot of different angles. (click view more pictures)

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Cartier-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Reproduction-1286.html

Her''s another, only a couple views, but you get the gist, and could make changes where you wanted them on whatever you choose probably.

http://www.betterthandiamond.com/diamonds/jewelry/rings/cartier.ring.php

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE pave, split prong. My second choice would be the three stone WITH colored gemstones. I think they would really make your stone pop!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/10/2007 12:17:30 PM
Author: Ellen

Here's a version with a lot of different angles. (click view more pictures)

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/-Engagement-Rings-5/Cartier-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-Reproduction-1286.html

Her's another, only a couple views, but you get the gist, and could make changes where you wanted them on whatever you choose probably.

http://www.betterthandiamond.com/diamonds/jewelry/rings/cartier.ring.php

Thanks for the links Ellen! Those two designs are actually pretty different right? One has a basket-style head, the other is like a modified tiffany head. One has a channel-set look to the shank, the other almost looks like a series of individual bezels with prongs at the top. Hmmm....

This is to go with your 5-carat, right?
31.gif
I would probably prefer the smoother shank with channel-set pave/melee (not sure of the difference between these) and a basket-style head. Hmmm....

Thanks for the thoughts Tacori!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Saw the Cartier setting in Hawaii last summer , and it was so beautiful it scared me. Hands were shaking when trying it on...maybe the 7 carat (or was it 10) size had something to do with it......but I think your stone set like this would be 2die4......

cheers--Sharon

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I like the setting canuk gal posted (the one with the emerald), and the Cartier one too!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sharon, I bet it was the size that had you trembling! Sounds like a dreamy thing you tried on - do you remember what type of head it had?

diamondsRforever, thanks for the link.

:) Me too! Selecting a setting is really hard.

I guess my priorities are:

1. Comfort.
2. Quite elegance.
3. Not upstage the e-ring-to-be.
4. Versatility.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, so your e-ring hasn't been created yet? MAJOR KUDOS to your man for being so sweet about giving you a HONKIN' F IF asscher for your right hand even before you're married! What planet did he come from?? (some girls have all the luck!) Can he please give a seminar called "how to treat a woman right, with diamonds"?? lol. He'd make a killing since every PS wife/fiancee would be lining up to register!

If this is just your RHR, then I absolutely cannot wait to see your future e-ring!!!

Waiting in suspense........
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starry, have you chosen your e ring yet? Or are you doing this ring first and then doing it?

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
KristyDarling and diamondfan, sorry to be unclear - this is actually a little present to myself! I''m not sure which stone my guy finally picked for the e-ring-to-be. It''s currently being set and I can''t wait.

Aside from lifetime commitments, I have been obsessing about asschers for a while and when I saw this one I couldn''t resist. The timing is odd, but I didn''t want to miss the opportunity, so I have kept this little bauble a secret. I don''t want it to interfere with the e-ring. Regardless of who bought this diamond, he is a very wonderful guy!
30.gif
I''ll probably share this purchase with him after we go on tour with the e-ring (you know - relatives, friends, etc).

So maybe now you can see why I want to be sensitive and not have something super-blingy on my right hand - it''s a gift to me from me. So now what do you think about the setting?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6860.jpg

here is one from the Facet Collection. Understated and elegant. Again, traps on the side.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
14016.jpg

With same shape side stones.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
starryeyed, just wanted to say that your asscher looks amazing!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
Can't wait to see what you set it in!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/10/2007 11:15:21 PM
Sharon, I bet it was the size that had you trembling! Sounds like a dreamy thing you tried on - do you remember what type of head it had?

diamondsRforever, thanks for the link.

:) Me too! Selecting a setting is really hard.

I guess my priorities are:

1. Comfort.
2. Quite elegance.
3. Not upstage the e-ring-to-be.
4. Versatility.
HI:

Starryeyed, no sorry, I cannot recall what type of head it had. I was blinded by the beauty of everything in the Cartier store, that I cannot recall those details!
1.gif

Also, I wonder if some tapered baugettes would look simple and elegant. With your Asscher, that would be a rendition of the classic Harry Winston style.

BTW, you appear to have a lovely collection of jewels already--you must share pictures
3.gif

cheers--Sharon

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, I knew this was for you from you (always good!) but wanted to know what he was getting. Do you have even a general sense of style shape etc? This could definitely influence what you do with the asscher, at least it would influence me...I love the trap or half moons, def a step cut side stone, and I LOVE the halo''d look...

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Starryeyed, you ARE an amazing sketch artist!! I love both, but I prefer the split shank. It''s odd, because I used to think that split shank is trendy and I wouldn''t like it down the road. But now I think it''s going to become a classic design that will be popular for centuries. I think your split shank design will highlight the center stone beautifully. I think three stone rings are gorgeous, but definitely be careful about the proportions in trying to keep it delicate looking and not having the sides overpower the center. I think it''s helpful to create some kind of demarcation btw sides and center, whether with metal, constrasting shapes, or colored stones so that the center will be the star.

I''m attaching my favorite (Leon Mege) asscher setting, which I''ve seen in other threads. This one makes me want to ditch my cushion, it''s so gorgeous! Sorry, I couldn''t resist.

lm_asscher_r221-10Ww.jpg

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Sharon: Thanks for the Facets images. I love these guys! Wish I knew what happened to David. I'll give this some thought. I know how you felt trying on that ring in Cartier - you must have been swooning! I thought about tapered baguettes, like maybe even using the old setting from the estate pear ring I bought, but then I noticed one of the baguettes is chipped - oh well. My collection is ok - nowhere near some of the pieces I've seen on this site! Wow!

KimN: Thanks for the compliments! I was concerned at first because it looked like the stone might be dark under the table, but the only time this is true is in blinding sunlight at my back. I'm very pleased with how this looks in person.

diamondfan: All I know is the suspense is killing me! It won't be 3 carats or anything because we both value quality more than size. The setting will be a simple solitaire because we both think simpler is better. That's all I know....killing me! I'm pretty sure the asscher will face-up smaller than whatever I'm given, but if I have a plain platinum solitaire on my left hand, the RH should be pretty simple too, right? maybe I should just leave it in the temporary!

Bargaincrazy: Thanks for the encouragement! Since that is your fav, did you see that exact ring on Pearlman's "Great Deals": Leon Mege/Daniel K 1.90 G VS2 EX/EX Asscher Ring $20K I wish I were a size 6.5! Are you? The ring's been there since before the holidays, so maybe a bargain can be had.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 6:40:52 PM
Author: Pricescope
Starry, how do you feel about colored stones? I was thinking as this 3-stone is loved by you and many others BUT you would like the Asscher shape to be celebrated (anyway that''s the vibe from this thread to me), sides of color (i personally would make them green) serve this purpose imo.
LOVE this idea.....because I often find that when folks post asscher/trap rings, I notice the exact thing Irina is mentioning...that the asscher shape is lost to my eye in the middle of all the lines/steps, etc.

It just seems a shame to get such a great center stone and then make it blend in to a work instead of standing out.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 3:55:46 PM
Author: aljdewey
Date: 1/9/2007 6:40:52 PM
Author: Pricescope
Starry, how do you feel about colored stones? I was thinking as this 3-stone is loved by you and many others BUT you would like the Asscher shape to be celebrated (anyway that''s the vibe from this thread to me), sides of color (i personally would make them green) serve this purpose imo.

LOVE this idea.....because I often find that when folks post asscher/trap rings, I notice the exact thing Irina is mentioning...that the asscher shape is lost to my eye in the middle of all the lines/steps, etc.

It just seems a shame to get such a great center stone and then make it blend in to a work instead of standing out.
Thanks for the thought Dewey, but even more thanks for the PS admin''s name - "Irina". Identity revealed! Now I know who to thank - THANKS IRINA!
35.gif

This is part of my thought process on the 3-stone setting and one of the reasons why I hesitate. Widget''s ring is probably the exception - WOW! I''ve also tried to think about colored stones and I just can''t make the color commitment, even though it makes sense. Maybe down the road I may reset it with colored stones, but for now, I''ve decided to pass. No offense intended because I really appreciate the suggestion!

I worry about the split shank because what if I need to re-size it? The pave is tough. Like what if I ever get back to my high school figure (!) or if I go the other way and my fanny takes over my body!

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 3:46:18 PM
Bargaincrazy: Thanks for the encouragement! Since that is your fav, did you see that exact ring on Pearlman''s ''Great Deals'': Leon Mege/Daniel K 1.90 G VS2 EX/EX Asscher Ring $20K I wish I were a size 6.5! Are you? The ring''s been there since before the holidays, so maybe a bargain can be had.

Ooooh...how lovely! I''m a size 4.75, but it looks like there''s a little strip of plain platinum for resizing. In my dreams. My husband is under the impression he doesn''t have to buy me jewelry for the rest of his life, because that''s what I told him :) You lucky girl...using your own finances to buy an extra special asscher treat. Can''t believe you will have two gorgeous rings on your hands maybe even before you are married. You stinker!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results