shape
carat
color
clarity

Semi-bezel setting, need some guidance...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deefz

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone, this is my first post so please bear with me :)

I''d like to hear some input into a ring and diamond I''m looking to purchase in the next few months.

Questions:

I''m looking to buy a diamond for this setting, and wanted to know your thoughts:

E/F Color
1.01+ Carat''s
VVS2/VS1 Clarity

Q1: Is there any particular stats/angles/%''s I should look for in getting a diamond for this band? What would look best?

Q2: I''m leaning towards a platinum band, would/could this affect anything given the setting?

Q3: Has anyone seen this band before? It''s like the Tiffany''s Etoile, but the bezel seems to be rotated 90 degrees.

Q4: Will this ring look weird since the diamond is somewhat big? I went retail shopping just to get an idea of how it would look, and for some reason every shop had bezel engagement rings with stones no larger than 0.6ct. Also, my gf''s hands are tiny (she''s 5''2", 100lbs).. any weird side effects?

Thanks everyone!

b11365723.jpg

b11365716.jpg

ER1LL.jpg

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
Hi deefz,

Welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

Re: your questions:

1. Have u read the tutorial which is linked at the bottom of every page in this forum? It will tell you basically what to look for, and there is also the holloway cut adviser, which you can enter numbers into (u get these off sarin reports or prob some certs) and get an idea of whether the stone is a good performer or not. Your eyes are always the best guide though
1.gif

2. I like my rings made in Platinum, as it''s a more durable & probably stronger metal, and I''d like my diamonds held in a vice grip ;-) I also like that platinum will maintain its white color, wheras WG may ''yellow'' and need plating.
3. Yes I''ve actually seen a ring like this today, in my ''window-shopping'' trip.
4. I find that the rotated bezel makes the stone looks more ''oval'' shaped, but I think a setting like that may protect the stone more, as that''s the side that tends to get banged on (well, for mine anyway). Not sure what the weird side effects are that you mentioned
3.gif
but it may look like a big rock on her teeny fingers. Don''t worry tho'', diamond shrinkage sets in very quickly
31.gif

Hope others can chime in and help! Happy looking!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome
35.gif
Jade has got you off to a good start, I would just like to add regarding you are considering a VVS clarity in a bezel setting, I wonder if that might be a wasted expense as clarities below this and even many S12''s are eyeclean? Bezels do a good job of hiding inclusions, but if you really wanted to go for a higher clarity this would be hidden rather than in a solitaire setting. If you lower the clarity a bit you might prefer to spend the saved money on more size! You could also drop the colour grades a little too, you will pay a premium for an E colour, most G''s and H''s look very white indeed and especially with the setting you have in mind. Of course it is entirely your decision as to what is important but I just wanted to let you know my thoughts. Whatever diamond you buy, you need to get the best cut possible, as Jade says check out the tutorial. Platinum is always a good setting choice so no worries there, I don''t think it would look weird, even though I am not a fan of bezel settings - I prefer a prong set solitaire, in the end it is up to you and your GF what you find pleasing. Looking at this setting I would tend to think it would make the diamond look larger. Hope this helps some, if you need any more help pop back!
35.gif

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/29/2005 2:07:41 AM
Author:deefz

Q1: Is there any particular stats/angles/%''s I should look for in getting a diamond for this band? What would look best?
No. The angles and such can have a big affect on how your diamond looks but the jeweler making the ring will have no problem making this ring using any stone you like. Try to avoid extremely thin or knife edge girdles.

Q2: I''m leaning towards a platinum band, would/could this affect anything given the setting?
The usual complaint about platinum has to do with the price. If you can get past that, almost everyone prefers it to white gold. This setting will work fine in either material.

Q3: Has anyone seen this band before? It''s like the Tiffany''s Etoile, but the bezel seems to be rotated 90 degrees.
I''ve seen quite a few rings of this general style. They usually stand a little taller on the finger than the Tiffany Etoile because of the way the bezel meets the band but I find them quite lovely. It''s a very diffent look because of the ovaling affect mentioned by Jadeleaves.

Q4: Will this ring look weird since the diamond is somewhat big? I went retail shopping just to get an idea of how it would look, and for some reason every shop had bezel engagement rings with stones no larger than 0.6ct. Also, my gf''s hands are tiny (she''s 5''2'', 100lbs).. any weird side effects?
This is a matter of taste but It''s amazing how big diamonds tend to grow on you. If you''re worried about it looking too big for a petite finger, consider a thinner band and setting it a bit lower on the finger. Wierd side effects? Does intense jealousy from girlfriends count? You should also be careful that the flash from her new rock doesn''t interfere with passing aircraft.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

deefz

Rough_Rock
First off, thanks everyone for the information.

I have looked at the tutorial, and feel that I have a good fundamental understanding of diamonds as a whole. My fear lies in the fact that this semi-bezel setting might have its own nuances that some more experienced people might have insight into.

That said, the information provided by all of you is very much welcome. :)

Lorelei, you suggest a lower color and clarity.. just how much can I expect to comprimise the look with this setting in an SI2? I don''t want to go lower than an F color, but that''s just due to personal preference.

Based on this initial feedback, I think I''ll end up doing the following:

F Color
SI1 Clarity
...the biggest rock I can get.

Also, I know AGS0/H&A''s are considered great due to the cut, but in this setting, would the difference in quality be visible as well?

Thanks everyone :)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Deefz I have a three stone ring with the diamonds set in semi-bezels although mine are on the sides of the diamonds rather than top and bottom as in your picture. My center stone is 1.24 carats F SI1 and it looks terrific in this setting. I am also 5'' 2" with relatively small hands. I have found the semi-bezel to be a very secure setting that actually enhances the size of the stone slightly. I think you would certainly be safe to go down to SI clarity in this setting, but cut is still just as important as it is in a prong setting.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 11:33:18 AM
Author: deefz
First off, thanks everyone for the information.

I have looked at the tutorial, and feel that I have a good fundamental understanding of diamonds as a whole. My fear lies in the fact that this semi-bezel setting might have its own nuances that some more experienced people might have insight into.

That said, the information provided by all of you is very much welcome. :)

Lorelei, you suggest a lower color and clarity.. just how much can I expect to comprimise the look with this setting in an SI2? I don''t want to go lower than an F color, but that''s just due to personal preference.

F Color
SI1 Clarity

Also, I know AGS0/H&A''s are considered great due to the cut, but in this setting, would the difference in quality be visible as well?

Thanks everyone :)
Yes there will still be a diffrence!
If you would like to you can always post your budget and people will find stones (or try to) that fit your tastes and your budget.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 11:33:18 AM
Author: deefzMy fear lies in the fact that this semi-bezel setting might have its own nuances that some more experienced people might have insight into.

F Color
SI1 Clarity

First of all, you already have responses from some very knowledgeable experts.

Secondly, there are som wonderful eye-clean SI1''s and 2''s out there. If your goal is to get the biggest stone you can, then clarity is a great place to look for a compromise.

Have you looked at enough stones in person yet? Have you looked at an ideal cut next to a non-ideal? Are you truly color sensitive?

An ideal cut will hide a lot - not just clarity issues but it will face up whiter than a non-ideal stone. Not to mention will outperform anything her friends have!

Even in a bezel setting, cut is key. Maybe even more so. Technically, all the light enters and leaves through the table / crown. So, ideally, even in a full bezel that only covers a miniscule amount of the stone''s surface, the light performance should be the same as any prong set stone''s. In a prong set, there is the visual influence of contrast of the stone''s surroundings that creates "illumination" of the stone that your eye sees differently. In a bezel set, ALL you see is the stone.

As Matatora said, if you could let us know what your budget is, we''d be happy to help you find "the one"!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results