shape
carat
color
clarity

Selling my GOG diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
This forum is not for selling.

I believe GOG will buy the diamond back for 75% of your purchase price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry about your predicament. It looks like a lovely PC though.

Edited for bad spelling. Is it correct now?

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
If you knew that really makes it wrong then.

People pay for advertising here. Why should you advertise for free.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Forum rules prohibit items for sale by members. That said, you may try to sell the diamond on Ebay or advertise for sale in the paper. I'm thinking that the best you may get for the diamond is around 75% of your purchase price anyway so you may be better off selling back to GOG and avoid the hassle.

Another thought is to hold on to the diamond for a while and then trade up on a different stone once the right lady truly does come along. Because of the rapidly rising price of diamonds that may be your best option.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Ahh, give him a break Wonka
1.gif

I would definitely go back to GOG. I think you'll come out ahead v. selling to another vendor or messing with ebay. ALso, he may be flexible if you ask for a credit...so that when the RIGHT gal comes along, you can apply the $...Sorry to hear about it...looks like a very nice stone.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/16/2004 11:16:13 AM moremoremore wrote:

Ahh, give him a break Wonka
1.gif

--

I agree. The guy is not in the trade - just in an unfortunate situation.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
In order to not create conflict, everyone should be treated the same and follow the same rules. Just my opinion!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
There has been tradition that one could post a diamond from a failed engagement. After all, the poor guy wouldn't have purchased *anything* from the vendors if he had not come to this forum.

For the record, in my tenure here, I have seen quite a bit of this. Sad indeed. Sometimes controversial. But, I don't think inappropriate.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know (maybe Leonid can answer) why we don't have a "for sale or trade" folder like they do on that "other" forum. It would be nice I think. Then again, maybe it could lead to problems...

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Then I will too bring my failed engagement diamonds to the forum to sell. Now I know the tradition. I apologize.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Obviously, I feel for you, Aaronka99.

Actually, although I've occassioned the Proposal Ideas and Stories area of Pricescope a little, I've been a little taken aback by the 'tude of the many cocky sons of bitches in Rocky Talky who boldly write about the diamond they're planning to give to their honey in a period of weeks to months. Pretty public reportage, given what one might expect to be the unknown outcome of an important upcoming question (aka the proposal)

Obviously, we all have our own story, including level of confidence, specific situation, and way to lead up to the big moment, and that other area of this database is designed for that. Still, I can't help observing this here. For MY girl, the first E-ring I gave her was the second one I bought... My first purchase at Savitt Jewelers in CT went returned by me within the 30 days I had to return it, as either I wasn't ready, or the moment just didn't seem right. The second one I bought from the same place a bit later was the first one she got, from me anyway. But...it was a process.

Once again, Aaronka99, best of wishes...

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/16/2004 11:34:26 AM wonka27 wrote:

Then I will too bring my failed engagement diamonds to the forum to sell. Now I know the tradition. I apologize.----------------

Then maybe you should. I promise I won't cop a tude like you.

Geez, I don't think that some guy who's having to deal w/ a break up needs a slap on the wrist. But, that's just me. I feel for the guy. Ultimately, it is not I who make the rules.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
I agree - this forum is not for “buy & sell” messages. Not because I try to protect advertisers but to protect community from degradation into a classified board.

Rarely members post personal for sale messages but this is rather exception from the rules. Let’s do not abuse it.

reena

Ideal_Rock
i agree with f&i (as usual it seems).

give the poor guy a break, he may have known that the "point" of this forum is generally for information and not selling, but i don't get the impression that he knew there is actually a rule against it.

sorry to hear about your situation aaron.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Reena (and others concerned)-

This gentleman did know the rule...

----------------
On 8/16/2004 10:44:48 AM aaronka99 wrote:

I know this forum isn't for selling but i know there are so many people here who like nice diamonds. I thought i would ask here first before going back to GOG ----------------

I am sympathetic to his situation. I too have sold diamonds (earrings) after a breakup, so I know the pain involved. There is an emotional loss along with a desire to rid yourself of a symbolic gift...not too mention a want to recover financially.

It seems though that the minute someone mentions selling something around here they are quickly put in their place. I don't appreciate the ridicule of a fairly common practice on this forum. I also think it is dangerous to engage in what can be considered discriminatory selection of who can and can't sell on the forum.

That said, if I came off as having a "tude" (as per f&i) I do apologize. I was in a training session this morning and posting rather quickly. I couldn't take the time to explain myself or try to be more "sensitive".

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
wonka27,
A pm about a thread to leonid is much more effective than playing mini-mod.
A lesson that took me a while to get thru my head but it finaly did.
Just friendly advice and no insult intended and I hope none taken.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/16/2004 2:27:55 PM wonka27 wrote:

Reena (and others concerned)-

This gentleman did know the rule...

----------------
On 8/16/2004 10:44:48 AM aaronka99 wrote:

I know this forum isn't for selling but i know there are so many people here who like nice diamonds. I thought i would ask here first before going back to GOG ----------------

----------------

I'm not sure I agree. It's possible for one who has spent any time on Pricescope to be generally aware that this forum's primary function isn't for selling diamonds, but that doesn't mean he knew there was any *rule* against it.

You said "this forum isn't for selling". He replied, "I know it's not for selling, but...."

This gentleman utilized PS to find his diamond in the first place. If you frequent a website for any length of time, you come to get a sense of what it's about. As such, he likely recognized from the nature of the posts that the "main purpose" here wasn't to sell diamonds.

That general understanding is somewhat different from knowing there is a *rule prohibiting selling*. I'm not convinced he knew that in advance of this post.

I'd also respectfully point out, Wonka, that there is no language in the forum policies that expressly prohibits the sale of an individual diamond per se. #8 of the forum policies says that the forum is for consumer education and assistance, not advertisement. It then outlines rules *for members of the trade*.....which this gentlement clearly is not.

reena

Ideal_Rock
exactly.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I was only reacting the way I have seen others react in other posts. I did this in the spirit of the forum.

I'll just back off and leave it to those who know best to decide. It seems to me that this leaves much discrepancy as to what one may or may not do around here. My opinion and I'm entitled to it. I will remember when I want to unload something to post it here for others to consider. I hope all others do as well, as aljdewey has pointed out selling is not against the rules.

Thank you for the advice storm. It is taken well and is not offensive at all.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/16/2004 3:50:57 PM Deadhorse wrote:

Rather I should say stop beating Wonka. Sheez, give the guy some slack.----------------

Gee, I don't think anyone's beating Wonka at all.

I didn't bash Wonka. I only commented that there may be a difference between "knowing" that a forum isn't sales-oriented and "knowing" that there's a rule expressly prohibiting selling (which isn't clearly defined.)

In fact, I concur soundly with Wonka's contention that any rules which may exist should be fairly and consistently applied across the board so as not to unintentionally discriminate against some or favor others.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 8/16/2004 3:37:25 PM wonka27 wrote:

It seems to me that this leaves much discrepancy as to what one may or may not do around here. My opinion and I'm entitled to it. I will remember when I want to unload something to post it here for others to consider. I hope all others do as well, as aljdewey has pointed out selling is not against the rules.

----------------

You were indeed promoting the true spirit of this forum, Wonka....you weren't off the mark on that. I just think this guy didn't know any better.

I honestly don't think the response should be "well, heck, let's just ALL sell our stuff on PS." Perhaps a more measured response--one that stays true to the intent of PS--would be to modify the forum policies to include language for non-tradespeople.

Such language could outline that PS does not want to serve as a classified board and prefers that folks not utilize this place as an outlet for resale of unwanted items.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results