shape
carat
color
clarity

Saw this yesterday - images for review

BoxerDad

Rough_Rock
The images are from a PS vendor. I saw this in person but I really don't know if this is the one. The price is right, the size is nice, but something looks off and my mom who sent me to this sight thought I should run it by the experts here.
My mom is going to go see it with me on Monday since the image might be the problem. What are your thoughts?

Any better options? This is more difficult than I thought.

1.24 I, SI1 HCA 1.8

D = 60.3
T = 60
CA = 33.5
PA = 41.0

MED - SLT THK

FL - NO

I will try to attach images.

idealscope_of_1.jpg1_17.jpg

I found other diamonds on the PS search option but they're not in house and over my budget a bit.

If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it. The vendor will hold this until Monday for me.
I'm trying to get this done quickly and I dont want to make a mistake by rushing.

A search this morning brought up this option which could be a better choice but more money.

1.18 G SI1 HCA 1.6 $7700
6.75 x 6.79 x 4.20
GIA 2161138523 5/14
D = 62.1
T = 56
CA = 35.0
PA = 40.8
Star L = 55
Lower Half = 80
No Fl
thin to med girdle

1.20 H SI1 HCA 1.2 ex,ex,ex,ex $7600

6.90 x 6.88 x 4.13
D = 60.0
T = 59.0
CA = 33.5
PA = 40.8

FL - Faint
Girdle - Med

I wonder if my budget needs to be tweaked? Would adding another grand secure something I'll be happier with?
BD

BoxerDad

Rough_Rock
Opinions please - images for review

Bump - Anything stand out from the images above?

BD

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I prefer the second one as it falls more into the classic Tolk specs, whereas the other two are more60/60 stones. I love fire (colored flashes) and the 60/60 stones tend to lean more toward brilliance than fire balance. A true Tolk would have more balance of both. But that's just me. Nice 60/60 stones face up large for their weight and are bright.

ETA also, if the G/Si1 is in your budget and eye clean, those are some nice specs!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also do not care for the first stone. I pretty much limit the table size to 58 max. The second one has potential depending on the images and if it is eyeclean, and the third one would be okay to compare.

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
BoxerDad said:
Any better options? This is more difficult than I thought.

I think you can get more diamond at a better price.

Here are some options to consider. You'd need idealscopes on all, but they should be pretty nice.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-329414

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-h-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-320027

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.24-carat-i-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-350882

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-288516

SI2 should not worry you if they are reviewed by a gemologist (which happens when you get idealscopes). This site currently has the best inventory at the best price.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so not an expert when it comes to diamonds. But is it just me or does the center of the diamond seem a bit off to the right?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin|1406484932|3721556 said:
I am so not an expert when it comes to diamonds. But is it just me or does the center of the diamond seem a bit off to the right?

I noticed that too... maybe it's the angle?? :confused:

BoxerDad

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for responding!

I'm not going to rule it out until I go with my mom to see it in person.

I'll check out the James Allen and let you know my thoughts.

BD

BoxerDad

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to post that I saw the first diamond below (1.24 I SI)

I didn't like it. I did see it was off while viewing through the loop and Idealscope. It wasn't the best SI1 either.

I proceeded to visit other vendors on 47th.

I noticed a hesitation when I went to copy the GIA cert numbers. I think if you're going to shop in this environment you can be successful if you are very careful. Some vendors were happy to get the actual cert others peeved.

I picked a few and went home with copies of the certs. These diamonds looked great in the store and even outside in natural daylight.
I ran the data into HCA and they only received good in some light categories.

Example A:

Vendor swore this was an Ideal cut stone

GIA XXX
HCA 4.0 g,g,g,vg

T-58, D-61.6, CA-35.5, PA 41.0

Example B:
AGS0

HCA 1.8 vg,ex,vg,vg

T= 55.3
D= 62.2
CA=35.4
PA=40.7

I learned something else. AGS isn't as strict on color. Almost all GIA diamonds I saw were XXX but didn't score like that on the HCA and every jeweler thinks that's all you need in your selection. They tout it like it's a no brainer and make you feel ridiculous for not blindly purchasing by that fact alone . They don't like informed consumers. But, I agree that you can go overboard with being too picky.

I found one diamond that scores well, looked good but it didn't have the scintillation of a firecracker that I want to see in the stone I pick. It was probably because it was normal lighting. I'm going back to see it again next week.

In the meantime I am visiting in person one more vendor. Wish me luck.
Thanks,
BD

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
That's funny about some of them getting nervous when you wrote down certification numbers!

Agreed that example "A" is a steep/deep stone and worth a pass. It's a good feeling to go into a store knowing you're an informed and educated potential customer.

Regarding your comment about "learning AGS wasn't as strict on color," would you be able to share what led you to that thought? It's been a subject brought up several times here recently, with opinions sometimes sharply divided. :read:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results