shape
carat
color
clarity

Same Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryan87500

Rough_Rock
I just got back from the jewlery store and was looking at a oval diamond. When I did a search on pricescope I found 4 places that had the exact same measurments and everything so I would assume the same diamond. Every single # was the same, same size, same table etc...

The price was $500 more at the store. Is it possible that it is all the exact same stone?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes it is very possible its the same stone.
The diamond is owned by a wholesaler and the store you visited likely has it on memo which is sort of like a loan.
At the end of a set time period the store either has to buy it or send it back.

ryan87500

Rough_Rock
So if I placed the order from one of the internet sites, would that mean the wholesaler would have to get it from the retailer who would then send it to me?

So basically when you say you want to buy something from online you never really know if they will be able to get it?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 12:19:33 AM
Author: ryan87500
So if I placed the order from one of the internet sites, would that mean the wholesaler would have to get it from the retailer who would then send it to me?

So basically when you say you want to buy something from online you never really know if they will be able to get it?

Unless an online dealer has it in stock that can be true.
There are a few stocking online dealers.
www.goodoldgold.com
www.whiteflash.com
www.diamondexpert.com
www.winkjones.com
www.niceice.com

are a few of them.

The wholesaler can sometimes recall the diamond from memo but the vendor that has possesion of it has the first shot at buying it.
If the vendor doesnt then it will be sent back to the wholesaler then to the other dealer or to you depending on how its is arranged.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This does bring up a sticky moral issue.
The dealer spent time with you and paid shipping costs to get it in by buying it out from under him from someone else thats pretty close to stabbing someone in the back.
If they gave you good service and you want the diamond its much better in my opinion to negotiate with the original dealer and even if costs a little bit more its more honest to reward them for the work they put into it.
Its up to you and your conscience to decide where that dollar amount is the work the dealer put into it is worth.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 12:35:40 AM
Author: strmrdr
The dealer spent time with you and paid shipping costs to get it in by buying it out from under him from someone else thats pretty close to stabbing someone in the back.
If they gave you good service and you want the diamond its much better in my opinion to negotiate with the original dealer and even if costs a little bit more its more honest to reward them for the work they put into it.
Its up to you and your conscience to decide where that dollar amount is the work the dealer put into it is worth.
Agree with Storm.

See also Neil article: Why are there several dealers offering the exact same stone?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/25/2005 12:35:40 AM
Author: strmrdr
I concur with the caveat that we do not know how much more expensive the diamond is other than $500.00. If the diamond is $700.00 on line and $1200.00 off line than a case can be made.

Aside from the moral issue, a point can be made that the hands on experience, abience & value assigned to that can be of worth in excess of a premium charged for real time viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results