shape
carat
color
clarity

Sad my diamond doesn't sparkle

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a strong blue and it sparkles all the time, even in sunlight. I really think your diamond's cut is the problem first and foremost. I hope you are able to resolve this and purchase a better cut diamond. Good luck!

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LisaRN|1412697888|3763661 said:
I have a strong blue and it sparkles all the time, even in sunlight. I really think your diamond's cut is the problem first and foremost. I hope you are able to resolve this and purchase a better cut diamond. Good luck!
While the diamond is a steep/deep and an outlier in the GIA grading system, it is a Triple Ex. Although the proportions likely mean some light leakage, such a diamond with a crystal based VS2 clarity would be expected to have decent life. The OP's descriptions are consistent with the photo in sunlight - totally milky. Very likely the strong fluorescence is the main offender here.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
motownmama|1412682785|3763527 said:
Pardon, but why does talking to her boss take 2-3 weeks vs 2-3 days? That's eating up the return window!!!

I am guessing it is because they want to clean the diamond first and she also said they will make a brand new setting rather than work with the dodgy one. Last time we waited two weeks to get the ring and she implied that was rushed, hence contributed to the dodgy setting job. I am thinking it will be the same this time.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for the generous advice. I have taken the tactics on board and hopefully will get a good resolution.

I did tell the jeweller that my diamond makes me unhappy and sad looking at it plus the poor job of uneven setting being the cherry on top is just terrible. She then text me this in writing:

"I will need to talk with my boss for this first. We normally don't take diamond back if it is not for quality issue. Let me speak with him and get back to u tomorrow "

Speaking with JAA in Sydney it seems that the process would need to be that I work out with the jeweller to see if they can fix it first. I am still unsure if I can get a refund as they clearly have said they don't take diamonds back :(

As long as I get a diamond I am happy with in the setting I chose with that is not a bodgy job I'll be happy.

But if after all that I am still stuck with the diamond they keep insisting for me to keep then I would take the refund and will take it further to JAA and Consumer Affairs.

I feel that is fair.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
Al the advice I am getting here is something I can use with the jeweller, they keep insisting quality issu with the diamond. If I prove the strong Fluro affects the quality I may have a strong case for a refund.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
MelisendeDiamonds|1412690785|3763589 said:
Ninadc|1412645761|3763388 said:
Kenny, first of all thank you for your knowledge and advice. Really appreciate it. Second, what a great idea. I will certainly do that! I am on my way to see the jeweller now, but just in case I called the JAA, which they are a member of and they are more than happy to assist me should the jeweller prove to be difficult. Also took another photo of the ring just now in midday sunlight.youll be able to see a cool blue thin sheath like over it, which makes it look hazy and cloudy almost. Thats why on top of what you all have said, adds to the no sparkle. It looks weird almost to a point I'm starting to think its unique and would be great dinner conversation/topic but without sunlight it's just white and glassy :(

I would take this more seriously and not wait to get your refund, you should act now or you might lose your chance or options.

1) What is their return policy in writing? What is written on your receipt?
2) What method of payment did you use?
3) Are you aware the diamonds you are posting in this thread may not be available to them and if so their price will likely be higher.

I would start with going back and trying to return the ring for a full refund, if they fail to accept within 24 hours file a complaint with the JAA immediately. I wouldn't accept any stalling tactics, the "Boss" can be called or e-mailed.

Thank you for this very useful advice!!! Greatly appreciate!

1. There were no return policy on the website
2. We paid by bank transfer
3. The links are just to give them an idea of what we are after. I can appreciate that some may not be available to them but it's just a guide for requirements

The jeweller contacted me again saying she has great news and she will be in touch later. Hope it's because they are willing to get me a new diamond!!! :)

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Hey Ninadc~

Just wondering if you've got any update on sorting out the diamond with the shop?

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
mellow|1413465394|3767892 said:
Hey Ninadc~

Just wondering if you've got any update on sorting out the diamond with the shop?

Hi mellow, yes. I have been speaking with them. They agreed to change the diamond! :)
I'm still in the process of choosing a diamond. I do have a question regarding HCA tool here in pricescope. Diamonds score comparison

Example 1 - a score below 1 like 0.8 Excellent within TIC range, EX light return, EX fire, EX scintillation and VG spread.
Diamond is an F colour VS2 GIA triple EX no FL
Compared to;
Example 2 - a diamond that score 1.9 Excellent within TIC range, but only VG light return, EX fire, VG scintillation and VG spread
Diamond is D colour VS2 GIA triple EX no FL
Compared to;
Example 3 - a diamond score of 1.3 Excellent within TIC range, EX light return, EX fire, EX scintillation and VG spread
Diamond is E colour VS2 GIA triple EX no FL

Which would be the best? Diamond 2?
Is it the lower you go in score the better?
Theoretically will diamond 1 be better than diamond 3?

I'm just trying to understand the tool and learn to use it properly.

Thanks.

nukezero

Rough_Rock
Don't just base it on the HCA numbers. You may want to get ASET and IDEALscope images. Only then can you truly tell if it will sparkle and ensure the cut is good because it will have 8 arrows. Otherwise, you'll be buying another dull diamond based on some "theoretical" calculator.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ninadc|1413482710|3768043 said:
Hey Ninadc~

Hi mellow, yes. I have been speaking with them. They agreed to change the diamond! :)
I'm still in the process of choosing a diamond. I do have a question regarding HCA tool here in pricescope. Diamonds score comparison

Example 1 - a score below 1 like 0.8 Excellent within TIC range, EX light return, EX fire, EX scintillation and VG spread.
Compared to;
Example 2 - a diamond that score 1.9 Excellent within TIC range, but only VG light return, EX fire, VG scintillation and VG spread
Compared to;
Example 3 - a diamond score of 1.3 Excellent within TIC range, EX light return, EX fire, EX scintillation and VG spread

Thanks.
The HCA tool is referred to as a "rejection" tool, not a selection tool. Since all three stones have scores under 2 they are all well worth consideration. You have used the tool properly and you are done with it - the relative scores are not helpful at this point. Now you want to develop more information about other differences in the stones,and get light performance images if possible (but not all vendors provide them). If you can post the GIA report numbers you will get additional feedback comparing other aspects of quality to help you with your decision.

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
I'm still in the process of choosing a diamond. I do have a question regarding HCA tool here in pricescope.

I'm glad they are changing the diamond for you! Would you be able to see the diamond before it gets set into the setting again?

Gypsy, you mentioned the idealscope can be purchased from Holloway for $25, can a consumer buy an ASET tool too? Or is ASET an industrial tool?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some great advice from PS'ers above. Definitely take your time and use all the tools available to review this new diamond before settling for it. Personally I would call a badly cut diamond a "quality issue" not necessarily the fluorescence (which some people love!). :read:

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1413484056|3768054 said:
Hey Ninadc~

Compared to;
Compared to;

Thanks.
The HCA tool is referred to as a "rejection" tool, not a selection tool. Since all three stones have scores under 2 they are all well worth consideration. You have used the tool properly and you are done with it - the relative scores are not helpful at this point. Now you want to develop more information about other differences in the stones,and get light performance images if possible (but not all vendors provide them). If you can post the GIA report numbers you will get additional feedback comparing other aspects of quality to help you with your decision.

Thank you, I understand now. It is very hard for someone like me to tell how good a diamond would be. With the knowledge I've gathered from this site and the forums here and if I can only do it again I would be confident to shop online especially on White flash and James Allen. It's sad to think my experience picking an engagement ring didn't go well initially. The jeweller has just given me a list and I used my new found knowledge and eliminated those that didn't score well in HCA or that didn't have triple EX grade on. HCA, but, having said that it's as far as I can go with the limited knowledge I have.

These are my picks. All scored well in both HCA and with GIA I look forward to all your feedback. I greatly appreciate the help.

Diamond 1 - GIA 2176931669
Round
E
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 61.3%
Table 57.0%
Measurement 5.75-5.78x3.54
No FL
HCA total visual 1.3 EX within TIC
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Diamond 2 - GIA 1166577194
Round
E
VS2
GiA triple EX
Depth 61.0%
Table 56.0%
Measurement 5.72-5.75x3.49
No FL
HCA total visual 0.7 EX within TIC
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Diamond 3 - GIA 1189115021
Round
F
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 60.9%
Table 57.0%
Measurement 5.76-5.78x3.51
No FL
HCA total visual 1.1 EX within TIC
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Diamond 4 - GIA 5186118758
Round
F
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 61.3%
Table 57.0%
Measurement 5.71-5.73x3.51
No FL
HCA total visual 1.6 EX within TIC
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ninadc|1413533098|3768411 said:
Hey Ninadc~

Compared to;
Compared to;

Thanks.

Thank you, I understand now. It is very hard for someone like me to tell how good a diamond would be. With the knowledge I've gathered from this site and the forums here and if I can only do it again I would be confident to shop online especially on White flash and James Allen. It's sad to think my experience picking an engagement ring didn't go well initially. The jeweller has just given me a list and I used my new found knowledge and eliminated those that didn't score well in HCA or that didn't have triple EX grade on. HCA, but, having said that it's as far as I can go with the limited knowledge I have.

These are my picks. All scored well in both HCA and with GIA I look forward to all your feedback. I greatly appreciate the help.

Round
E
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 61.3%
Table 57.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Round
E
VS2
GiA triple EX
Depth 61.0%
Table 56.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Round
F
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 60.9%
Table 57.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Round
F
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 61.3%
Table 57.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG
They are all nice options. I'm assuming you won't be able to look at more than one and choose. Since they are dossier reports they do not contain a stone plot so it is hard to say much about the clarity features. As VS2 they are all likely to be eye clean and all icy white. There are no clarity features that would be particularly problematic in terms of light scattering. Feathers are typically white, the diamond with the crystal could possible by black, but again in this size a VS2 is very likely to be completely eye-clean. 1189115021 has a tiny bit more spread. The others might give a little more fire under certain lighting conditions. If I had to choose one sight unseen it would probably be the E color 1166577194.
Hope that helps. Be sure to let us know what you decide and how you like the stone.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer|1413557338|3768553 said:
Ninadc|1413533098|3768411 said:
Hey Ninadc~

Compared to;
Compared to;

Thanks.

Round
E
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 61.3%
Table 57.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Round
E
VS2
GiA triple EX
Depth 61.0%
Table 56.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Round
F
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 60.9%
Table 57.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG

Round
F
VS2
GIA triple EX
Depth 61.3%
Table 57.0%
No FL
Grade EX/EX/EX/VG
They are all nice options. I'm assuming you won't be able to look at more than one and choose. Since they are dossier reports they do not contain a stone plot so it is hard to say much about the clarity features. As VS2 they are all likely to be eye clean and all icy white. There are no clarity features that would be particularly problematic in terms of light scattering. Feathers are typically white, the diamond with the crystal could possible by black, but again in this size a VS2 is very likely to be completely eye-clean. 1189115021 has a tiny bit more spread. The others might give a little more fire under certain lighting conditions. If I had to choose one sight unseen it would probably be the E color 1166577194.
Hope that helps. Be sure to let us know what you decide and how you like the stone.

Thank you for your advice. You are right, I get to choose one only to have a look at which is usually in the jewellers office. I have emailed the jeweller the one you have suggested. It was also the one my gut instinct was telling me to go for. I now have that peace of heart and mind that this time it will be a good diamond, one that sparkles. Thank you again for all your informative posts and advice. I will let you know how it goes.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ninadc|1413581750|3768779 said:
I googled the GIA cert number and found this link to it in INDIA
http://www.ebay.in/itm/0-70-ct-E-VS2-GIA-Round-Solitaire-Diamond-Engagement-Gold-Ring-1166577194-/111476269722
Does this mean the actual diamond has been used already in a setting?
If so, does this mean that the diamond itself could have been slightly altered?
Could I be possibly getting a second hand diamond?
This really is alarming.
I haven't seen this before, but it is probably not something to be alarmed about. It is probably a marketing arm of the manufacturer and the diamond probably has not actually been set yet. Surat is the cutting center in India. In any case, it is always a good idea to take a stone that you purchase and have it inspected and verified by a qualified third party gemologist.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
One tweak to Texas Leaguer's comments.

INDEPENDENT third party gemologist.

Don't take it to another jeweler. They'll just talk it down and try to make you paranoid so you return it and buy from them.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to give an update.

I got my diamond finally and ring. The diamond sparkles like crazy. I a very happy with it. I ended up going down a colour to an E rather than the D I originally wanted.

Things I've learned that I wanted to share to those like me and finds this post.

- the diamond colour DEF are all similar in normal people's ice.my E is as icy nd White as a D
- my second diamond, is higher in price although down a colour grade than the first one which looked good on paper but badly cut
- so always go for cut first
- use the HCA tool here at priscescope as ELIMINATION tool rather than CHOOSE tool
- do research on fluorocense and imperfections. As part of the 4 c's
- be confident to shop online on sites like whiteflash bluenile James Allen jogia reputable online sites because it's sometimes like in my experience better than going to a jeweller who customise or finds you a diamond. You can do it yourself and get advise from forums like pricescope
- most important big is not always good! My diamond looks big on my finger and people comment how big it looks but it is the cut and design of the ring that pulls everything together. My diamond is a conservative .70 carat

Thank you to everyone here at pricescope for your wisdom and great advice. I couldn't have done this without your help.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
Texas Leaguer. Big thanks to you. I went with your advice and am very happy. Again the diamond looks amazing! Wish you can see the sparkles!!

Gypsy. Thank you for your guidance! Couldn't have done this without you pointing me in the right direction :)

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I'm so glad your story had a happy ending. I would love to see some pictures.

SirGuy

Shiny_Rock
Agreed, I'm glad to hear your selection went well. Looking forward to seeing photos! :wavey:

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Glad this story has a happy ending. Please show us your new ring.

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
Glad all worked out and you were able to get a diamond w/ sparkle.

Ninadc

Rough_Rock
This pic doesn't do it justice..

_24441.jpg

16ocean

Brilliant_Rock
:appl:
It -is- lovely! Wear it in good health.
:)

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
The ring is beautiful! I'm glad everything worked out for you :appl: