shape
carat
color
clarity

round vs princess studs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

uclaure

Rough_Rock
I was going to purchase a pair of .34 princess cut studs on 14k white gold. But then I started thinking about how they would look on my girlfriends ear. All of the diamond studs I have seen have been round. The reason I wanted to get princess was so that they would match the ering I will be giving her in a couple of months (i posted on this subject earlier). Does anyone have any princess studs? If so, how do you like them and how would you compare them to rounds? The closer I get to getting them the more I second guess myself. Help please!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Hi Aureliano. I personally like the look of round over princess for studs. I don't like that the princess can turn slightly and not be positioned the same on both ears. I suppose if the post of the earring were positioned at the top side (rather than the center of the square), this would prevent the square from turning as much. Also, I think of earlobes as being kind of round, and I like the look of a round stone on a rounded earlobe rather than a square. Okay that sounds goofy. It's definitely a personal preference thing.
wacko.gif

DiamondLil

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I think if her ring is going to be princess cut then the earrings should match. Also, I think the princess cut looks more expensive in earrings. I have a princess 1 1/2 carat white gold ring and I can't see me wearing round diamond earrings, it just wouldn't look right(in my opinion). But that's just me.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great idea to match ring and earrings ! Some girls care about the two stone staying exactly in the same position, but some do not. No idea which 'camp' is more populous, but princess cut earrings are quite popular. No worries, I woudl say. Those would be a fault- proof gift
1.gif

AxelG

Rough_Rock
Which cut do I choose? I have just began my research and shopping and I am having the same dilema too. I have read that the princess cut is not as brilliant as a round cut. Is this true? Could someone in the know comment on the differences between the princess cut and the round cut. TIA

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
The one thing this post clearly demonstrates is how personal this choice is.
The most "brillaint" of all the cuts is round- Round Briliant.
But having the best light return characteristics might not be of concern for your Lady.

i suggest you drop some gentle hints and see if you can determine what would make her happiest.

Although I am a man ( last time I checked) I wear a Princess cut stud- and get plenty of compliments ( do you think a 5 carat stud is too big for a guy? heheh)

It really does not matter to me if the square is aligned with the floor or not- but some, such a Diamondlil might be bothered by this.

The size also makes a difference.
A pair of .34 tw will not be exrememly moticable to onlookers- but I feel sure you'll make a BIG hit with either.

Good Luck!

ClownFishFunk

Shiny_Rock
Hello. I think it is really a matter of preference. It may be nice to match the earrings and ring together - and she may think it is sweet that you thought ahead about that too - but it isn't absolutely necessary. Diamonds will match other diamonds regardless of what shape they are. Also, since both the round and princess cuts are very popular shapes its likely that she will love either choice.

Another thing I've noticed is that if you get four prong rounds the prongs can make it look somewhat squarish (atleast this is the case with my studs) so maybe that could be a nice combination, just a thought though, not sure how well

that would work.

So choose whichever you think would be best! I'm sure she'll be pleasantly surprised either way.
1.gif

uclaure

Rough_Rock
Update....The price was actually cheaper. I just talked to Steve over at diamond.com and he told me that the original price was off and naturally I thought that it was going to be more than the 908 he quoted me. But, he said it was going to be 888 because the original quote was for setting of rounds and he said that for princess it cost less.

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
Hello! That is true, princess cut diamonds are priced less than round brilliants. That is the reason that the new more brilliant square cuts (regent) are priced higher. I have a princess cut diamond engagement ring. I LOVE the square cuts. Therefore, I am more attracted to princess cut earrings. I like the fact that they do match. Good luck and she is a very lucky lady!!!! I like the fact that the earrings are leading up to the RING!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I have princess studs. My e-ring is an EC so I wanted something square to match it more closely, but I didn't want ECs. I don't think I've ever had a problem with them rotating after I put them on.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I am a square gall all the way. I LOOOOVE them! BUT, BUT...my fiance got me round diamond earrings, which honestly, blew me away. I just got another compliment on them today, as they are so WHITE and sparkly! I have two sets of small princess stone earrings and I TOTALLy abandoned them for these rounds. I also have a large CZ pair that are like 3ctw, and they are nice, but these are FAR superior in sparkle!

You don't need to match shapes. I don't, and I can't say I have ever cared to put my ring to my ears, even when I wear the princess stones (I have a radiant e-ring)

I vote rounds, as they are the best sparkle for the buck, and they are not necessary to have shape, as they just sit on the ear and glitter, and what better waste of several hundred but on a shape that does it the BEST! Either way, good luck and PLEASE post pics when you get them!!!!

uclaure

Rough_Rock
I just re-read diamondsbylauren's post and I got the impression that he/she thinks the total weight of the earings is .34. Each stud will be .34....here are the specs on the two stones
#1 #2
Princess GIA Princess GIA
.34 E VS2 .34 E VS2
3.94x3.96x2.73 3.97x3.94x2.68
Depth 68.9 Depth 68
Table 69 Table 68
Polish VG Polish VG
Symmetry VG Symmetry VG
Girdle thn-med Girdle thn-med

How "big" will these two look after they are mounted on white 14k studs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results