shape
carat
color
clarity

Round or Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I can't seem to decide! I know noone can make the decision for me but is there anyone out there who was in the same dilemma and chose one over the other? If yes, what make you jump ship?
I've always loved princess cuts but lately I'm double guessing myself. Are princess cuts more popular now/more of a fad? Are there "advantages" to having one over the other?
Can you tell I'm in over my head?
27.gif
3.gif
Not too long ago I was posting about Cushion over princess...god help me!
40.gif

Thanks all!
36.gif

ringabling

Brilliant_Rock
I didn''t choose between the 2 so much in this regard. When we got engaged I chose a Princess, as I got a little older it wans''t me anymore and I upgraded recently to a bigger stone in a RB cut.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
gosh they are such different looks. Between the 2, I''d vote round just b/c I''m not a huge princess cut fan. Rounds face up bigger too which being a size gal I''d have a hard time passing that up.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Angel - You know I vote
18.gif
round
30.gif
SO ...

In an effort to help YOU decided what YOU would prefer ... my question to you is how do you answer the following:

What do you like about rounds?

What do you like about princess cuts?

I know you mentioned that you''ve always just liked princess cuts but what is it exactly about them that "speaks" to you and what is is exactly about "rounds" that has you distracted from your previous train of thought?

Hopefully thinking about this and listing out your answers will better enable us to be able to hone in on your "real" preference and help you decide or maybe it will just serve to confuse you further ... either way ... it''s fun.
25.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Ringabling - Your stone is beautiful. See that''s what I''m afraid of. I like the princess now but down the line I''m afraid I won''t. But hey, then I get to have a beautiful upgrade like you!
31.gif
Tastes always change I guess...especially mine!

MrsSalvo - I like you am a size gal. That''s what''s leaning me towards the round.

Spark - What do I like about rounds?
-They look bigger and face up whiter

What do I like about Princess?
-The square shape and I think I like their "sparkle" more
But, I''m scared Princess is a fad and I''ll grow tired of it more quicky then I would a traditional or always elegant round.

It''s such a stupid thread I know but I''m just torn. I feel like my heart is saying princess but my head is saying round. I sound crazy..I know!
38.gif

Thanks all!

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Its a hard one!!!!!
11.gif

I was in a similar place recently, but even worse, I couldnt choose between almost any of the shapes!!!!!!!

In the end, it comes down to sorting out a few issues (as well as coming to terms that you cant adopt all the babies out there!).

Some issues include working backwards and choosing a ring style first.....that can help narrow it down.

Work out what you can get for your budget in either shape. I feel that you can get a bigger looking princess because its cheaper per carat, although some say that a round will face up bigger. My experience was that you get more fancy for the dollar than round in terms of finger realestate.

FWIW, I ended up with a princess which I got set in a cut corner halo which gives it a softer (rounder) look than square halo.
I will also mention that the sparkles are very tiny and glittery as opposed to big flashes that you get on a round. It hasnt stopped women almost melting when they see it, including sales women in very upmarket stores like cartier??? (My secret is that it is ave cut and low quality.....so I get surprised at the who har about it!).

I really think that most of the time people react to the setting not the actual diamond per say.

Perhaps if you find your dream setting the diamond shape will be obvious. I actu8ally found my setting here on PS and had it copied without even trying it on!!! Crazy.....but turned out great!
36.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Sharon - I''ve found two settings that I really like/leaning towards and both are made for RB''s but I was told we could order for Princess. I think that''s part of the problem I''m having. I can''t SEE my setting with a princess because they are all set with rounds! I guess I have to imagine it more...

I agree that sometimes the setting does gather more attention. Congrats on your princess!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
A 1 carat princess has a diameter of about 5.5 mm. A half carat round has a diameter of about 5.2 mm. Because the princess is squared, you get a bit more finger coverage in the 5.5-ish range (the corners aren''t cut off), but you''ll get a much bigger RB for the same carat size (a 1 carat RB is about 6.4 mm).

I don''t agree that a princess is more sparkly. The problem is that there are a TON of mediocre RBs sold out there. A truly ideal cut RB is stunning, much more attractive than a princess to my eye. Princesses can be more easily damaged, because the corners are very thin and can chip.

I think princesses are "trendy," and a bit young. I think it is a cut you can grow out of. If you''re into a fancy shape, I''d rather do a cushion or an asscher over a princess. If you''re interested in trading up, there will always be a market for an ideal cut RB. There''s been centuries of research into what makes a beautiful RB, and there are generally accepted guidelines for proportions, so you can more easily shop for a true ideal and more easily compare prices. AGS just recently developed a grading system for light performance in a princess. If you''re looking at grading labs other than AGS, it''s hard to judge the cut quality of a princess on the numbers.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock

fansynancy

Shiny_Rock
I had the same dilemma, only mine was round vs cushion. In the end, I went with the ACA RB because it is a classic. I will always love it. It is not a fad and it faces up bigger. Most importantly, the fire, brilliance and sparke of ACA are unsurpassed. It is far more interesting and beautiful to wear day in and day out because of the way the stone catches the light. The cushion just didn''t have it. For the money I was spending, I wanted a forever ring. I knew that I would enjoy it for lifetime and that someday my daughter would, too.

Nancy

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried both on IRL? You might like the way one looks on your hand over the other.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Hi Angel,
When I was first engaged I got a princess. I am now in the process of upgrading this stone to a round. My tastes have really changed in just a year and three months! Rounds are so classic and lovely, and I love that they face up bigger! Take your time deciding--and definitely get a stone with a good upgrade policy, because you may want to do that. I change my mind ALL the time!
Coati
1.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 9:27:01 PM
Author: Angel7
Spark - What do I like about rounds?
-They look bigger and face up whiter

What do I like about Princess?
-The square shape and I think I like their ''sparkle'' more
But, I''m scared Princess is a fad and I''ll grow tired of it more quicky then I would a traditional or always elegant round.
Hmmm - Not sure what to say. I certainly don''t think that you are crazy (then again that''s not a great endorsement given that I too can be a whackjob at times)
37.gif

As far as I am concerned, this is tough stuff b/c it is pretty much all emotional. Logic can be applied but it doesn''t really tend to stick that well.

Okay, this may be a lame attempt to help you out but that is my intention so please bear with me ...

So you say you like rounds b/c they face up "bigger and whiter" and princesses b/c of "the square shape and their sparkle"
This being said ...
What is more important to you then?
What do you seek most in a diamond? Size or Shape?

I ask this b/c any well cut round or princess will sparkle, right? What do you visualize if you think about your perfect ring and diamond? Does your daydream vision show a round or square shape?
Does the thought of a sizeable sparkly diamond with good finger coverage make you flutter more than the thought of a square diamond, in particular?

I think rounds are traditional and princesses are more modern, which is one of the reasons that I initially wanted to stay away from rounds. I found them boring .... until I started looking at diamonds in person and comparing the rounds to the princesses. There was no comparison. I loved the sparkle and size of the rounds and the princesses, in the size I was looked at, just seemed more "busy" or scrunched up inside ..sort of like gift basket wrap plastic when it is all crinkled up. I guess I just preferred the lovely flashes of sparkle from the round over the more sort of condensed sparkle of the princess.
Don''t get me wrong ... princesses are lovely and I enjoy seeing nice ones, they just weren''t the shape that suited me best or that I wanted to see on my finger.

I am fairly certain that when you make your trip to the jeweler this weekend, you will be able to figure it out all by yourself and you will not need any help making your decision.
28.gif

Hey ... is there any way to move up your diamond viewing date for maybe sometime during the week after work, for example?
31.gif

By the way, I hope this helps and is not just blathering gobeldy goop.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rounds are probably more popular because they are classic and timeless. I do think princess cuts and other fancy shapes will go in and out of favor over time.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Nancy - I think that''s my biggest fear. I don''t want a stone that is fad. I love that you are already thinking of the ring as a family heirloom!
36.gif

Tacori - I''ve tried on rounds plenty of times (it seems that''s all they put in the settings at the store) and yes, liked the look on my hand. Have I tried on an ering with a princess? I can honestly say no. Only in the sense that they "placed" the stone in an empty setting and the prongs were too big or it just didn''t "fit" correctly so of course it didn''t look good. Hmm...maybe I will make it a point to find any Princess ring and try it on to see. Thanks!

Coati - My tastes change all the time too. It''s kinda scary!
3.gif
This isn''t like my purse obsession where I change it up every week..this is a big purchase/commitment..maybe that''s where my trepidation comes into play! I''m glad you are upgrading to match your tastes. Upgrade policy is excellent advice. Thanks! Can''t wait to see your new RB!
36.gif

Thanks again everyone!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
As far as trying on an ideal RB in person - I know that ShaneCo (or at least some of the stores) have AGS and GIA graded stones. I''d go into one and ask if you can see an AGS Ideal cut stone (and get a look at the grading report to see that it''s AGS0 for light performance). Other b&ms may also have them. You need to know what to ask for. My ACA totally blew me away, and it was an upgrade. I''d had a diamond for years, but still have fun taking my new diamond out to see if it "likes" the lighting. In my master bath, it''s fiery, and there are all of these colors flashing from the center and edge faceting of the stone. Wal-Mart''s lighting is very flattering to my stone, it''s bright and flashy but there''s often colored fire as well. The parking garage at work and the elevator - tons of fire. You get the idea. You''ll know once you''ve seen an ideal-cut RB, it is mesmerizing, and has different personalities in different environments. I went out this weekend, and my stone was reflecting all the blue from the sky, it looked like it was fluorescent, but it''s not. I also note that I''ve never really seen fire in a princess stone, and I don''t know if that''s because they underperform in the fire department, or I just haven''t spent enough time around them to see.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Spark - I was just reading another post where people said your center stone matches your furniture..ok my kitchen table and dining room table..square/rectangular. All my furniture is set up like a box, I always put things on angles/corners..hmm...Freud what are you telling me!
9.gif
I do like more modern looking things...does that apply to erings though? I don't think the setting I like is very modern..do you?

Ok moving on..what's more important size or shape? I'm not sure I'll come back to you. Of course I want to say size but then I say shape.
I thought/am thinking just like you. Rounds are traditional, boring..everyone has them....so I think that's why I leaned towards princess cuts. I totally get your plastic wrap analogy..I can see it.

Ok I'm going to really conentrate and commit at the jeweler this weekend. FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS!!!
No, I can't move it up.She has to order the diamonds and they have to come in! I'm sorry! I would love to go sooner! Of course your post helped! They always do with my loco personality!
21.gif

Diamondseeker - I 100% agree!

Milton - I love that you know what lighting really makes your ring stand out! I'd go to Walmart everyday just to see my baby shine! I'm not nearby a Shane&Co but it's a great idea to see an ACA stone in person. Thanks! Sounds like your ring is a beauty so I'm off to see if you have some pics posted!
36.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried on a superideal cut round? I tried on a HOF e-ring--loved the diamond and setting--and then bought an ACA from WF. I had the ACA set in the HOF semi-mount. Best of both worlds for me. You need to try on a really high quality round, IMO, to see if it is right for you
2.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 10:41:08 PM
Author: risingsun
Have you tried on a superideal cut round? I tried on a HOF e-ring--loved the diamond and setting--and then bought an ACA from WF. I had the ACA set in the HOF semi-mount. Best of both worlds for me. You need to try on a really high quality round, IMO, to see if it is right for you
2.gif
I really haven''t tried on high quality stones. Ring shopping is hard because these jewelers just have them loose. How will I know how it looks on my finger? I can''t envision it...
I''m on a quest this weekend.

Is there any resource online to tell me if any stores in my area sell ACA AGS stones?
36.gif

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 10:41:08 PM
Author: risingsun
2.gif
I agree-sounds like you need to see some ideal cut rounds! If you are a size junkie they will blow you away!

What about buying CZ rings (shock horror) in round and princess and try wearing them for a week? That might help you to tell if you prefer one over the other on your hand and with your wardrobe.

As for me, round all the way-I''m lazy and want to know that the numbers look good before I shell out the cash-and rounds are classic, they will never date! Plus if your taste changes you can mix it up with eternity rings, other wedding bands, etc.-and if you want a modern or square look the setting can do the work for you!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 10:52:30 PM
Author: Gemma12

I agree-sounds like you need to see some ideal cut rounds! If you are a size junkie they will blow you away!

What about buying CZ rings (shock horror) in round and princess and try wearing them for a week? That might help you to tell if you prefer one over the other on your hand and with your wardrobe.

As for me, round all the way-I''m lazy and want to know that the numbers look good before I shell out the cash-and rounds are classic, they will never date! Plus if your taste changes you can mix it up with eternity rings, other wedding bands, etc.-and if you want a modern or square look the setting can do the work for you!
I do have some RBs (real) grandmas ering and it''s beautiful (.75) but maybe because the band is so plain, it just does nothing for me! Obviously I don''t know the stats..but again it wouldn''t be what I would choose so of course it doesn''t make my heart flutter. I think I''ll buy a princess at Target tomorrow and see what I think! Thanks Gemma..that''s a great idea! Plus - gives me a reason to buy some cute fakey gems!
31.gif

I agree about the lazy thing..that''s how I feel! Again another good point, they will never date! Great suggesstions regarding the setting and mixing it up.

You guys are great, thanks again! Lets hope my split personality clears up soon!
9.gif

orangemonster

Rough_Rock
I will throw my hat into the ring on the side of princess cut.
I have a 2.02 princess that performs BRILLIANTLY, in all types of light and it sure does have the fire and sparkle I was hankering for. I think it is truly a matter of preference and you do have to go and see some stones in person to compare. When I was looking at princesses, the place we purchased my stone brought out several at once and my baby just POPPED at me. Maybe I''m just lucky but I love it and will keep it. Rounds are definitely classic but to me my princess is just sooo special!
1.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 11:16:43 PM
Author: orangemonster
I will throw my hat into the ring on the side of princess cut.
I have a 2.02 princess that performs BRILLIANTLY, in all types of light and it sure does have the fire and sparkle I was hankering for. I think it is truly a matter of preference and you do have to go and see some stones in person to compare. When I was looking at princesses, the place we purchased my stone brought out several at once and my baby just POPPED at me. Maybe I''m just lucky but I love it and will keep it. Rounds are definitely classic but to me my princess is just sooo special!
1.gif
Yeah a princess owner! Thanks for posting Orange..the princess lovers were losing out. I do think it''s all personal preference and just finding the one that makes your
emlove.gif
skip a beat. What a sap I am.
I''m off to search for your 2ct beauty!

Thanks!

orangemonster

Rough_Rock
You''re welcome Angel! I wish you much luck on your search for your special stone, whether it is rb or princess. When all is said and done... IT IS A DIAMOND! Have fun and go for the stone that makes your heart sing!
36.gif

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 11:23:32 PM
Author: orangemonster
You''re welcome Angel! I wish you much luck on your search for your special stone, whether it is rb or princess. When all is said and done... IT IS A DIAMOND! Have fun and go for the stone that makes your heart sing!
36.gif
Thanks so much. Hey Orange, I have a bone to pick with you...WHERE are the picturs of your beatiful princess ring? I did not find any! Are you holding out? Please post pics of that beauty ASAP!
9.gif

I apologize in advance if you do have a thread and I missed it.
27.gif
Feel free to yell at me if that''s the case!
3.gif

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2008 10:38:32 PM
Author: Angel7
Spark - I was just reading another post where people said your center stone matches your furniture..ok my kitchen table and dining room table..square/rectangular. All my furniture is set up like a box, I always put things on angles/corners..hmm...Freud what are you telling me!
9.gif
I do like more modern looking things...does that apply to erings though? I don''t think the setting I like is very modern..do you?

Ok moving on..what''s more important size or shape? I''m not sure I''ll come back to you. Of course I want to say size but then I say shape.
I thought/am thinking just like you. Rounds are traditional, boring..everyone has them....so I think that''s why I leaned towards princess cuts. I totally get your plastic wrap analogy..I can see it.

Ok I''m going to really conentrate and commit at the jeweler this weekend. FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS!!!
No, I can''t move it up.She has to order the diamonds and they have to come in! I''m sorry! I would love to go sooner! Of course your post helped! They always do with my loco personality!
21.gif
Angel -- You make me laugh ... I''m glad you were able to get something from my post. I think it was much better suited to a real life conversation with lots of gesticulation and facial expressions.
26.gif

Don''t worry. You''ve gotten a ton of good advice and this, in conjunction with, your Saturday diamond play date, will help you out. If you are still undecided, no big deal ... just means you need more "play" time.

As always ... looking forward to your update.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Just wanted to add that my er (worn happily for 15 years) was a beautiful rb and my princess has replaced that for now. I must say that I enjoyed wearing both shapes. The deal breaker for me would have to be the size, all other c`s being equal. It is my belief that for a set amount of $, you will get move finger coverage from a fancy than a rb.

As far as trends, I would not write the princess off as a passing phase or trend. Im sure it will continue in popularity due to its visual appeal. I dont think that the next generation will refer to it as modern just as I and my friends today dont.

Being honest,(yes, Im a diamond hungry, mad bling whore)
11.gif
I really went for the most diamond I could for our budget and it so happened that we came across a large princess that fit our requirements. Meanwhile, I had spent about 12 months road testing different shapes.....and believe me, I fell in love with almost every diamond that came any where near me, let alone one that had lived with me!!!!!
2.gif
I can say that my princess gives me extreem pleasure, as does my Mum`s, which we helped her find too.

My setting is the real eye catcher though and happens to look very old fashioned and antique style. So to me, it just shows that shape of diamond does not determine the look ie modern or old fashioned, classic or edgy. I think the setting does that. My Mums setting is more modern but still very blingy with diamonds on the ring part too.

I think that its hard to choose in `theory`, but when you see the actual choices available to you irl, it becomes easier. Hopefully you will get to see some shapes irl and it will click for you!!!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
I was in a similar situation. Originally after reading PS forums for a while I was determined to get a RB solitaire as my e-ring. So my hubby and I started trying on rings in stores to find out what carat size would be best for my finger. We only tried on RBs, as that`s what I was set on. Then when we were about to leave one store, the lady said why don''t I try a princess solitaire. I couldn''t say no to trying more bling, and when I saw the princess on my finger for the first time, I knew I couldn''t go back to RB. RBs looked beautiful on my finger, but it never felt as right as when I had a princess on. So just try on the different cuts, and hopefully you`ll feel which one is the right one.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Spark - Thank you! I will keep you posted! My bf thinks I like the princess more. HE likes it more (not quite sure why) but I really just have to try it on!
36.gif
Oh yea, a WHITE princess might help me make the decision!
31.gif

Sharon - I love that you are a "diamond whore". Too funny! Your 4 carat stone looks beautiful. Nice and big too! Congrats!
36.gif
Like you said, I''m hoping I just try on and the style just "clicks" with me!

Chiq - I''m glad you find the princess of your dreams and hope I get that "just right" feeling when I do some more trying on.

Thanks all!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
Angel7, I understand that it''s a tough decision! My original ering was a 1.52ct princess. Purchased in ''02 (so during the Princess BOOM). Well, the "bull in a china cabinet" that I am, it ended up with a hefty chip out of the girdle last year. Thankfully insurance covered replacing the stone and I headed straight for RB''s. I life in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area and can only speak from my own observations, but EvErYoNe seemed to have recently received or be getting a princess cut. One of my long time friends who is older and has been married almost 10 years has a gorgeous (albeit smaller, .75ct) pear and my best friend who is my age has a RB that she received in ''99. I always oooohed and ahhhed over their diamond shapes because to me they just seemd more classic. SO. I ended up replacing my princess with a 1.59ct AGS000 RB. I love it. I do. But I often remember my princess and miss it. It was a poorly cut stone mind you, and now I have a KILLER cut RB but I do miss the princess.......I go back and forth. NONE of my friends have this diamond passion or obsession like I do. They wouldn''t know a dog from an ideal cut if it hit most of them in the face. So, I''ve had a couple of comments of "oh, I liked your old rings!". I feel like I''m in jr. high when I let those comments start to sway my feelings towards my current rings. For me it came down to wanting CLASSIC over what I am not sure is or isn''t a more trendy and passing shape. And I wanted the biggest look I could muster. Then I wanted peace of mind that I knew by the #''s that it was a great cut stone and that''s much easier to determine with RB''s. Another reason I went with RB was because my princess broke......it has an extrememly thin to medium girgle EGL grade.....
40.gif
So there was certainly potential for damage there, plus it was set pretty high up. Our insurance agent happenes to be a long time family friend of my husbands and was so sweet about helping me when it broke but she did kinda suggest I go smaller maybe (ha, NO!) but more protected or lower set. Hence my 6 prong WF classic tiffany setting. I have not WACKED this stone into anything that I can recall---and I was smacking that princess constantly by accident due to it being set pretty high. Ok, there''s my long boring 2 cents on the subject. I knew that I knew I wanted a princess the first time around, and the 2nd I thought I knew that I knew I wanted RB.......now I sit and think about a HUGE pear one day! :)
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results