shape
carat
color
clarity

Rough diamond ring twisted band.

warmdiamondlove

Rough_Rock
Do any of you ladies have a rough diamond? What do you think about them?
I found this ring & I love it & want to know what you think about it? Does it look sturdy, ect?
I know its not many peoples style, but I love rings like this & have ever since I saw one online a while back. So that isn't what I am worried about. I am just wondering about durability?
il_570xN.311392442.jpg
il_570xN.311259407.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the concept of twisted shank and a rough diamond (rough diamonds are very 'in' at the moment) but I couldn't cope with the wonky/all different prongs. And with workmanship like that you've gotta wonder how well the diamond is actually held.

warmdiamondlove

Rough_Rock
chel180|1330628929|3138453 said:
I like the concept of twisted shank and a rough diamond (rough diamonds are very 'in' at the moment) but I couldn't cope with the wonky/all different prongs. And with workmanship like that you've gotta wonder how well the diamond is actually held.
That is also what I worried about! :errrr:

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
It's interesting, but it looks like it's made from plastic-coated aluminum wire. You could probably whip up something that looks a lot like that using supplies from your local craft store.

liz

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's cool but would worry about those coarse prongs bending after catching on something.

OhMyDogs

Rough_Rock
Where did you find it?

Seeing something like that just makes me wonder if it's crazy old. Maybe that's why it's so "crudely" made.

I don't know, I see that and think of some miner who found that little chunk of diamond, forever ago, and decided to make a ring for his girl.

So very cool.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks pretty cool! Unique, to say the least, but like Kenny, I'd worry about the prongs catching. It is definitely a primitive style - are you ok with that kind of asymmetry and it wouldn't bother you over time? I think I'd be okay with it... but I know myself well enough that after a while, I'd be back to wanting balanced shiny bling. Yes, I am weak and easily seduced by the shiny things in life!

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
chel180|1330628929|3138453 said:

This is actually my complaint about rough diamonds too. I have seen photos online of many rough diamonds that I like, but I have never seen one in a setting that I like.

warmdiamondlove

Rough_Rock
OhMyDogs|1330633242|3138526 said:
Where did you find it?

Seeing something like that just makes me wonder if it's crazy old. Maybe that's why it's so "crudely" made.

I don't know, I see that and think of some miner who found that little chunk of diamond, forever ago, and decided to make a ring for his girl.

So very cool.

Its handmade, using silver & gold fill. But it can be made different for a higher price. I would want 14k white & 14k rose gold. They are all full 100% natural diamonds straight out of the mine with no treatment.

warmdiamondlove

Rough_Rock
Enerchi|1330634591|3138554 said:
I think it looks pretty cool! Unique, to say the least, but like Kenny, I'd worry about the prongs catching. It is definitely a primitive style - are you ok with that kind of asymmetry and it wouldn't bother you over time? I think I'd be okay with it... but I know myself well enough that after a while, I'd be back to wanting balanced shiny bling. Yes, I am weak and easily seduced by the shiny things in life!

Haha good points indeed! I would be wearing it has a right hand ring & only on days I wanted to, not everyday. But still I am wondering about those darn prongs. :sick:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've got two that I adore ... both ballas diamonds, one white, one green. They're both set in semi-bezels which were custom made for them. I think the biggest problem with rough diamond jewelry is, a) the kind of rough that's chosen for a lot of pieces is inferior/unsuited for jewelry settings, and, b) the settings are one-size-fits all, which works for faceted rounds, but not even necessarily other faceted shapes (try stuffing a pear or an oval or a radiant into a calibrated mass-produced setting). That said, there are some artisans out there who do amazing things. I had mine custom made, but you might want to check out Todd Reed and his ilk, or maybe source your own stone and ask somebody with an organic style what they could whip up ....

PS Alterna-Set 1.jpg

PS Alterna-Set 2.jpg

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
Circe|1330636653|3138594 said:
I've got two that I adore ... both ballas diamonds, one white, one green. They're both set in semi-bezels which were custom made for them. I think the biggest problem with rough diamond jewelry is, a) the kind of rough that's chosen for a lot of pieces is inferior/unsuited for jewelry settings, and, b) the settings are one-size-fits all, which works for faceted rounds, but not even necessarily other faceted shapes (try stuffing a pear or an oval or a radiant into a calibrated mass-produced setting). That said, there are some artisans out there who do amazing things. I had mine custom made, but you might want to check out Todd Reed and his ilk, or maybe source your own stone and ask somebody with an organic style what they could whip up ....

Those are so elegant!

warmdiamondlove

Rough_Rock
Circe|1330636653|3138594 said:
Beautiful! :lickout:
& Thanks so much for the tips!

Mrsacornblue

Shiny_Rock
I love the band and the stone on the ring that OP posted but I HATE the prongs. I think it cheapens the entire ring. It would look so much better if the prongs were somewhat even.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results