shape
carat
color
clarity

Rodium Plate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
Can rodium plating be stripped off?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean you have a ring with rhodium plating and you want it removed?

Leanne

Shiny_Rock
No, they're white gold earrings but the yellow gold is really showing through. I know I can get them re-plated with rodium so they'll look brand new but I'm wondering if it's the plating that's making my ears hurt? Is rodium a form of platinum?

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I doubt the issue is with the rhodium; it's probably because the rhodium has worn off and the nickel-alloyed gold is showing through that's the problem. Many people have nickel allergies. Of course, some people are sensitive to all metals, but the odds are better that it's a nickel problem.

Most white gold in the U.S. is alloyed witih nickel--because it's cheap. Nickel doesn't mask the yellow as well as palladium or silver, so it has to be plated with rhodium to make it white. The plating eventually wears off, slower or faster depending on its thickness and how much wear it gets. And yes, rhodium is in the platinum family.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results