shape
carat
color
clarity

Ripped Off?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ellie Ruby

Rough_Rock
My friend just bought a round cut diamond solitaire around 1.6 carats in Turkey. She paid around $9,500 for it. It has an obvious yellow color to it (but not strong enough to be Canary) she said it was the fourth clearest in clarity. I think she was ripped off because of the color - what do you think?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Your friend should get the stone appraised for insurance purposes anyway. Without this information, it's impossible to tell what she has. To say that she got a stone with the "fourth highest in clarity" makes it sound like she doesn't really know one way or another.

Yes, if it is visibly yellow, this would mean that she most likely paid way too much. Even stones in the J-K-L area would only look slightly tinted yellow, so if the color is obvious, then the color is probably below that. But she should get an appraisal to tell for sure. I'm sure she wants to insure her 10K investment either way.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It would make good reading to better understand why someone would willingly go to a foreign country and buy a blind item from someone they neither knew or had reason to place their trust in. Of course, I am assuming that this is the situation. Maybe a relative or a good friend cheated them. That, too, makes for good reading and an educational experience. Give us more to go on.

Ellie Ruby

Rough_Rock
Many thanks for the comments.
I am sure there are bargains to be had if you purchase from some foreign countries, but I would think you absolutely must know what you are doing! It was purchased from a stranger - she said this place was recommended by a Travel Rep and that it sells to Cruise Liners and Harrods! This may be the case, but the rep may be on a commission and the other things are easy to say. The shop may be legitimate, but I have heard when somebody states a price in Turkey it is normally off the wall and you should very drastically haggle (i.e. they say 10, you say 1 and you agree on 3). She has not yet had it valued. I am a bit nervous to tell her my fears as somebody else mentioned it to her and she just thought they were jealous!

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 7/28/2004 5:31:18 AM Furthermore wrote:

Hope she paid the import tax when bringing the stone back to the US, or it`s more a case of her ripping off US Customs ;-))))))) (ahem)

VAT and import duty are levied on cut stones, y`see - so she`s about $1000 up on the deal as it stands if she didn`t pay.......

Furthermore ;-)))))----------------

Hehe... Yes out poor government. How dare they not get money that they have no legitimate entitlement too
naughty.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
It would make good reading to better understand why someone would
willingly go to a foreign country and buy a blind item from someone
they neither knew or had reason to place their trust in. Of course,
I am assuming that this is the situation. Maybe a relative or a good
friend cheated them. That, too, makes for good reading and an
educational experience.
-----------

Hah hah hah!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results