shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring Size and Carat Size Proportionate vs. Carat Size

paris29

Shiny_Rock
I have read here and on other sites that the smaller you finger is the bigger the carat size seems to appear. I'm just curious to hear what you ladies think on this topic. What is more important to you proportion or carat size or even both? Just thought this would be a fun topic to discuss. I know everyone will have different opinions but I think it would be interesting to hear everyone's views.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I'm both. Although.. being a size 3.5 helps a lot... I'm still a size whore due to PS brainwashing ;-)

When I first tried on rings... a 1.50 carat RB seemed huge... but my at the time bf (we're now separated) bought me a 2.73 carat cushion (8.78 X 8.15 mm) and that seemed perfect.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
proportion for me. I have seen women with extremely small hands or short fingers and huge round diamonds. i think aesthetically they look silly..........just my opinion. I think the shape and the size of the stone as well as design should all be considered. example: short thicker fingers. a more thin and delicate stylelooks more flattering but the stone needs some substance to balance the hand. if that person's budget only manages a smaller stone I would build up the stone with more setting............ i dont think a ring is any different than selecting clothes or hairstyle to complement body type and face shape

rtuttle

Rough_Rock
Ring size 7.5, Diamond size is 1.5 round, looking at around 3mm for her. She has shorter fingers. From what I read, it seem like a I want something around 3mm.

I didn't think a thinner mm would be as flatterying to her as possible. I would love to hear other ideas, though, i'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
paris29 said:
I have read here and on other sites that the smaller you finger is the bigger the carat size seems to appear. I'm just curious to hear what you ladies think on this topic. What is more important to you proportion or carat size or even both? Just thought this would be a fun topic to discuss. I know everyone will have different opinions but I think it would be interesting to hear everyone's views.
What is more important to me, proportion or carat size or both? This question does not apply to me. Proportion is never a problem to me. Rather than my finger size, what dictates the carat size is MONEY - what I can afford and am willing to pay. My finger has no problem fitting a diamond of size ranging from 1 to 10+ carats, and still looks proportional.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me it's proportion. My girlfriend just got a 1.5 and it looks the same size as my 2.5. I'd love to have been able to spend a little less and have the same coverage.

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
For me it is about proportion. I have small finger size and short fingers too. What looks average size on someone can look huge on me. My lifestyle is ont one that I feel comfortable wearing something that takes up the whole finger so to speak. I don't feel an urge to wear X size carat etiher so that is why it isn't important to me.

I feel lucky because I can wear a smaller carat size and have it look much larger on my hand than others.

newd

Rough_Rock
I don't like wearing big rings in general. I just don't feel comfortable in them. But I am not sure about ER. I have a ring size 4.5 and when I tried 1 carat princes it looked kind of small.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
To me proportion is the most important. I have long fingers and overall kind of big hands, so rectangular shapes look best on me. RB's look kind of funny on me I think, or just not as complementary.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
paris29 said:

Neither.

I wanted an RB from day one, and with RBs bigger stones have bigger facets and perform differently - they flash and blind more than twinkle, and I prefer this type of light return. So for me, it's all about size, but not so much for how it looks on my finger.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Proportion first, but hey, if you have a small finger size and can still rock a big stone, carat too :) Like Resonance, I have a small finger size (3.25) and I'm sure smaller sizes will look plenty big on my hand. However, I'm also sure that I can totally rock a 2 ct. ring so .... ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rtuttle said:
Ring size 7.5, Diamond size is 1.5 round, looking at around 3mm for her. She has shorter fingers. From what I read, it seem like a I want something around 3mm.

I didn't think a thinner mm would be as flatterying to her as possible. I would love to hear other ideas, though, i'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

Are you talking about a 3mm ring width? Many people around here think the diamond looks larger with a thinner band. I'd say 2mm is very popular and 2.5mm might be second. 3mm will be wider than average here, but not too wide. Have you asked your gf what kind of setting she likes?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
So here is a chart that has been floating around PS for quite some time now... but haven't seen it in a while. Enjoy!

size chart.jpg

blueiris

Brilliant_Rock
I'm tall with long fingers and long hands (approximately a size 6 finger) and a smaller stone doesn't look proportionate on me, so I'm "stuck" :lol: with needing a bigger stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results