shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring bent after one day...

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! I have a wedding band with diamonds that I love. It is made out of platinum. I had it for six months and then needed to have it repaired because a diamond fell out. The jeweler informed me that the band was heavily worn and out of round. The ring was reshaped and the diamond replaced and sent back to me. I got it back yesterday and was really careful with it. I took it off this morning and it was already misshapen. Is this normal? What do I do???

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
AnaClare|1373247278|3478816 said:
Hi all! I have a wedding band with diamonds that I love. It is made out of platinum. I had it for six months and then needed to have it repaired because a diamond fell out. The jeweler informed me that the band was heavily worn and out of round. The ring was reshaped and the diamond replaced and sent back to me. I got it back yesterday and was really careful with it. I took it off this morning and it was already misshapen. Is this normal? What do I do???
If the jeweler had to heat the ring then it will have annealed and softened the metal - if he needed to do that then there is usually no other option.
It sounds to me as if the ring was too thin / weak in the first place. If you wanted a really fine wedder then you are stuck with it - maybe you could add a rail each side?
Most platinum alloys are actually rather easy to bend.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry AnaClare! Would you post a pic showing how it is misshapen?

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
If the jeweler had to heat the ring then it will have annealed and softened the metal - if he needed to do that then there is usually no other option.
It sounds to me as if the ring was too thin / weak in the first place. If you wanted a really fine wedder then you are stuck with it - maybe you could add a rail each side?
Most platinum alloys are actually rather easy to bend.

I'm not opposed to a thicker band. This one is about 2 mm on the bottom.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a rail?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sonnyjane|1373335171|3479439 said:
AnaClare|1373327864|3479374 said:
distracts said:
Did you sleep in it?

Yes, I did sleep in it. Is this bad???

You'd be very, very surprised at the damage that can occur while sleeping.

Yes, Drena scratched my head often with her rings so I made her not wear them.

The only real damage would be if you have two pieces of jewellery that can rub on each other.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1373335413|3479442 said:
sonnyjane|1373335171|3479439 said:
distracts said:
Did you sleep in it?

You'd be very, very surprised at the damage that can occur while sleeping.

Yes, Drena scratched my head often with her rings so I made her not wear them.

The only real damage would be if you have two pieces of jewellery that can rub on each other.

Ha! I have to admit I only sleep with my band, but I have often read that you shouldn't sleep with e-rings on because of the potential damage (actually I think the "suggested care" brochure for my ring included that suggestion as well). If that's untrue then I'll defer to you!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts said:
Did you sleep in it?

Yep. If you sleep in it, you were actually not careful with it AT ALL! A lot of pressure can be put on our hands when we sleep - if you tuck your hand under your head, between your knees, under your side, under your spouse's side, whatever, all that pressure is going down on your ring, which can really easily smoosh it. I'd bet that is almost certainly the reason it looked smooshed in the morning. As well, prongs can snag and get pulled.

acezarra

Shiny_Rock
Garry H (Cut Nut) said:
Retake the pics on a white background please. Is there a gap?
and do one side on also

Here are two. I've sent it back so I can't do a side on. I'm sorry!

_7905.jpg

_7906.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my opinion its not the repairers fault - there seems to be not enough metal under the stones (assuming there are cleaning holes underneath.
Of course to make a propoer assesment i would need to have the ring in my hand.
How heavy and what metal is it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results