shape
carat
color
clarity

Ring appraisal: is it normal to leave a ring for 2 hours?

Hello!

I am planning to propose in a few weeks and have scheduled a ring appraisal for next week. (I ordered it online and want an independent assessment of what I got).

The appraiser has said I will need to leave the ring with them for two hours. They seem somewhat legit (and by that I mean they have a website, and are registered with our national gemological group).

However, I've never owned something this valuable, and my gut instinct is to not let it out of my sight... How do I really know that the diamond I give them is what I get back? Isn't 2 hours enough time to swap something else in?

Maybe I'm just being really super paranoid... any common tips on how to handle this, what to look out for, or how to verify what I get back?

Thank you!!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ring appraisal: is it normal to leave a ring for 2 hours

Where are you located? Someone here might be able to recommend an appraiser that they have done business with. There's also a list of appraisers Under the "resources" tab (https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers); many of them indicate that they will do a "while you wait" assessment (although the final report might not be prepared on the spot).

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

You do sound paranoid. Appraisers unlikely to risk their reputation on your stone by swapping. I've had to leave my stone for a week or more to have the ring appraised. If you are really concerned, ask to see the inscription on the stone, or the plot of inclusions before you leave it, and then identify the same inscription or placement of inclusions when you pick it up.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes I left mine for half a day. I went to someone I trust, and you can always loupe it when you get it back. Make sure you go to a reputable jeweler and that YOU are comfortable with him/her, for your own sake.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh yeah, I have left jewelry for several days. A respected appraiser is one of the safest places to leave your jewelry. Are there places I wouldn't leave my jewelry? Absolutely. Know the reputation of who you leave your jewelry with. I always choose well established, high end jewelers to do any repairs, sizing, etc.

One other thing, tell him exactly what you paid, and tell him you do NOT want an inflated appraisal amount. The only person who comes out ahead with an inflated appraisal is the insurance company that gets inflated premiums from you!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1467209638|4049647 said:
Oh yeah, I have left jewelry for several days. A respected appraiser is one of the safest places to leave your jewelry. Are there places I wouldn't leave my jewelry? Absolutely. Know the reputation of who you leave your jewelry with. I always choose well established, high end jewelers to do any repairs, sizing, etc.

One other thing, tell him exactly what you paid, and tell him you do NOT want an inflated appraisal amount. The only person who comes out ahead with an inflated appraisal is the insurance company that gets inflated premiums from you!

Applause, Applause for all the good responses above, and especially for Diamond Seeker's comment about not getting an inflated appraisal.

One thing I can offer you for your piece of mind. Ask the appraiser if he will quickly show you your diamond under the scope and make a quick diagram of one or two of the inclusions so that you can look at it again when you pick it up. That way you will be comfortable when you leave it, and when you pick it up. The appraiser will likely be more comfortable too, since he will know that you now know what your diamond looks like and will not be surprised when you pick it up.

Wink

tracylt

Shiny_Rock

I once had an appraiser told me it would take 4-6 weeks!!! :-o . But normally it's about 1 week. The most valuable jewelry I've had appraised was > $200,000. I've never had any problems. As long as you get the receipt from them ( they should write down a brief discussion of your ring, mine even included GIA report # as I showed them, but only kept the ring itself to appraise), and other paper works (receipt, GIA cert., etc.), and it is a reputable appraiser/jeweler who has been around a while; I don't think you should be worried.

RaiKai

Brilliant_Rock

I just dropped two rings off yesterday for a resize and they are doing an appraisal on one of them while it is there. I don't expect either of them back until next week so they would have PLENTY of time to swap stones if they wanted. But I know they won't.

I trust the place I take my jewelery too, whether it is worth $1,000 or $25,000 and often am leaving things there for a week or so at a time for sizing, maintenance, repairs, and so on. Heck, there are times I time those things that need to be done for when I am leaving on vacation as I trust items to be more secure at the jewelers than in my safe at home or something.

A reputable appraiser is not going to risk their business, and their life work, to swap a stone. If your fiancee ever needs her ring resized, repolished, repaired she will likely need to leave it with someone for far longer than two hours.

Get to know the ring, if the stone is inscribed then know the inscription, get a loupe, get some insurance, and get some peace of mind by only using reputable jewelers, etc.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I usually make an appointment and stand there while he's appraising with my report in hand to confirm what he is seeing lolol... my checklist.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

For me the inspection portion of an appraisal takes about 30-45 minutes. Local single item clients normally just wait and watch but it is by appointment only and it's a matter of scheduling around other customers. Some appraisers don't really have a place for you to hand out and if you have a bunch of items it can turn into sort of a long wait. No, a 2 hour window for dropoff and pickup is not unreasonable but, if you would rather wait and watch, tell them your preference and see what they say. If they've got the physical facility to do it, most I know will be happy to cooperate.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results