shape
carat
color
clarity

return period almost up, please help

sammie83

Rough_Rock
I bought a 0.90 carat GIA cert RB diamond, F color, VS1 clarity, Excellent cut, symmetry, and polish, medium girlde, no fluorescence, no culet, measures 6.19x6.20x3.87, depth% 62.5, table% 56 for $5,458 and I''m wondering if I made a good choice??? Did I get my money''s worth? It looks beautiful as far as I can tell. I''m about 10 days away from my return window expiring so I''d love to hear opinions! Thanks!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 12:44:13 PM
Author:sammie83
I bought a 0.90 carat GIA cert RB diamond, F color, VS1 clarity, Excellent cut, symmetry, and polish, medium girlde, no fluorescence, no culet, measures 6.19x6.20x3.87, depth% 62.5, table% 56 for $5,458 and I''m wondering if I made a good choice??? Did I get my money''s worth? It looks beautiful as far as I can tell. I''m about 10 days away from my return window expiring so I''d love to hear opinions! Thanks!
What are the crown and pavilion angles and lower girdle facet lengths? You can find this information on the cert diagram of the diamond.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Price seems right, similarly prices stones on the PS search range from $4800 to $5800.

But we need those other numbers I asked for to judge its cut quality.

sammie83

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 12:45:51 PM
Author: dreamer_d

What are the crown and pavilion angles and lower girdle facet lengths? You can find this information on the cert diagram of the diamond.
I attached the pdf for the GIA cert. Thanks for your help everyone!

Attachments

• GIA Diamond Dossier for my diamond.pdf
    92 KB · Views: 36

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you please copy the numbers here for us, I don''t like opening things off the internet.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 2:03:47 PM
Author: Stone-cold11
http://www2.gia.edu/reportcheck/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.showReportVerification&reportno=2111680608&weight=0.90

I would return it, will have leakage.
I'll second SC (not that he needs it)...crown and pavilion angles are not good. Its a tad deep too.

Edit - on the HCA (cut advisor tool) we use to determine whether a stone is worth further consideration yours is scoring...

Light Return Good
Fire Good
Scintillation Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good

Total Visual Performance 4.4 - Good - Only if price is your main criterion

The scores are Excellent, very good then good so yours is pretty far down. A stone is worth further consideration if it scores
2 or under.

You spent good money and you should have a better cut stone.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thritto - since you have a chance to return, I''d do that and get one with a safer c/p combo.

Lula

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful as far as I can tell.

Can you post some photos of it? I hate to dismiss it based on the numbers without seeing at least a photo. It did receive a cut grade of Excellent, and you say it looks beautiful to you, and the price is fair.

Just curious, have you looked at AGS 0 or GIA excellent cuts in stores? If not, you might want to spend some time in local jewelry stores that carry Hearts on Fire branded diamonds or if there's a Jared's near you, go look at their Peerless line. You don't have to tell them you bought your diamond online, but you certainly can see what else is out there and compare it to your stone before you go to the trouble of returning it.

Is your stone loose or in a setting?

sammie83

Rough_Rock
wow, everyone, i wasn''t expecting this!!! my head is kind of whirling!
23.gif

i am kind of lost with some of the technical info you all were giving me.. terms like:

"leakage"
"c/p" combo

and how did you get that info for my stone tyty333? i don''t even know what a cut advisor HCA is
33.gif

can you guys help me find a better stone? i looked for a diamond for a year and that was the one i chose, so i apparently don''t know anything! man is my fiance going to be mad!
23.gif

thanks everyone

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/13/2010 2:30:34 PM
Author: sammie83
wow, everyone, i wasn''t expecting this!!! my head is kind of whirling!
23.gif

i am kind of lost with some of the technical info you all were giving me.. terms like:

''leakage''
''c/p'' combo

and how did you get that info for my stone tyty333? i don''t even know what a cut advisor HCA is
33.gif

can you guys help me find a better stone? i looked for a diamond for a year and that was the one i chose, so i apparently don''t know anything! man is my fiance going to be mad!
23.gif

thanks everyone
No reason to be mad...feel lucky to find out what you did when you can still return it. If you had images of the stone such as
idealscope/ ASET images we could tell you/show you if and where it is leaking light. (you wouldnt happen to have these would
you?)

Yes, we can help you find a good stone.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of budget are you working with and what is the specs you are looking for?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
buy this: http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y and have it shipped to you as fast as possible. While it's in transit study the references on the L side of the screen, then take a look at your stone when it comes.

One reminder: any leakage issues you see with the IS will be exacerbated by the fact that you'll be looking at the diamond through the scope with mono, not stereo vision, so some slight leakage may not be visible IRL with both eyes, and you may well decide not to change anything at all - but make that choice as an educated consumer.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 2:25:06 PM
Author: sarap333

It looks beautiful as far as I can tell.

Can you post some photos of it? I hate to dismiss it based on the numbers without seeing at least a photo. It did receive a cut grade of Excellent, and you say it looks beautiful to you, and the price is fair.

Just curious, have you looked at AGS 0 or GIA excellent cuts in stores? If not, you might want to spend some time in local jewelry stores that carry Hearts on Fire branded diamonds or if there''s a Jared''s near you, go look at their Peerless line. You don''t have to tell them you bought your diamond online, but you certainly can see what else is out there and compare it to your stone before you go to the trouble of returning it.

Is your stone loose or in a setting?

yes, best to compare it to a really excellent cut diamond.

also I think you can do better in your price range, here is one option

sammie83

Rough_Rock
ummmm....stupid question: how do i put pics in my post? sorry, i''m new here
3.gif

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Click HERE for instructions for posting and resizing pictures.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look, lets be real here.

You have bought the diamond and proposed with it. You paid a fair price for it based on the price of GIA EX stones with theose specs available online. You love it, your fiance loves it! It is a GIA Ex. It is NOT a dog.

What the previous posters are telling you is that you can probably find a more ideally cut stone out there for a little less money. But consider whether you want to do this or not. The visusal difference in cut will be small but noticable. But is it worth it since you have the diamond and know you love it? Is it worth disappointing your fiance?

Listen, think long and hard about this before you do anything crazy. I am a cut nut. But I am also a realist. My sister-in-law has a diamond that has leakage. And you know what? It is lovely and sparkly and she gets lots of compliments. My diamond is better cut and I think it is more beautiful. But cut matters a lot to me. Good enough is not enough for me, or many of us here on PS, we want THE BEST. But maybe good enough is fine for you and what you desire. And that is OK as long as you paid a fair price, which you did. So now YOU need to decide if it is worth it to you to find a better cut stone.

Just my 2c!

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Use the attached file button.
attach.file.button.gif

File size must be below 100kb, and use a long random name, no special characters. That should work.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I won't comment on the numbers of the stone because others have offered much better advice about that than I can. However, I did want to kind of piggyback on what DD said. If you have already proposed or your GF/FI knows about the stone already and is pleased, then why would you be returning it at this point? The numbers are just those...numbers. But if the stone is a good performer to you and your GF/FI's satisfaction, then why send it back at this point? Just a question.

ETA: the pictures don't look bad to me (given the stats), but then again how a stone looks in person and on a computer screen varies widely I suppose.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
The pictures look pretty good to me, can''t judge optics from them, but the cut looks nice.

You will need to decide what to do, we cannot tell you.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Can you put in on your hand, resting in between the fingers but still face up and take a pic?

I'll ditto dreamer a bit here. The stone looks nice even though it is probably not the most super-ideal cut it is also not ugly either. It is hard to tell everything from a few still pictures however returning it and getting a new stone is a whole can of worms, and you may or may not want to go down that road. If you are still concerned, either taking it to a really skilled appraiser or taking it and comparing it to some ideal cuts like Hearts on Fire might be in order. Then you can see if you can see a difference, and if that difference matters to you. Good luck!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 3:52:23 PM
Author: cara
Can you put in on your hand, resting in between the fingers but still face up and take a pic?

I''ll ditto dreamer a bit here. The stone looks nice even though it is probably not the most super-ideal cut it is also not ugly either. It is hard to tell everything from a few still pictures however returning it and getting a new stone is a whole can of worms, and you may or may not want to go down that road. If you are still concerned, either taking it to a really skilled appraiser or taking it and comparing it to some ideal cuts like Hearts on Fire might be in order. Then you can see if you can see a difference, and if that difference matters to you. Good luck!
I think this is really ther first step no matter what. The OP needs to see this comparison to know whether he wants to keep it or whether it is worth it to seek "perfection" in cut.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 3:18:33 PM
Look, lets be real here.

You have bought the diamond and proposed with it. You paid a fair price for it based on the price of GIA EX stones with theose specs available online. You love it, your fiance loves it! It is a GIA Ex. It is NOT a dog.

What the previous posters are telling you is that you can probably find a more ideally cut stone out there for a little less money. But consider whether you want to do this or not. The visusal difference in cut will be small but noticable. But is it worth it since you have the diamond and know you love it? Is it worth disappointing your fiance?

Listen, think long and hard about this before you do anything crazy. I am a cut nut. But I am also a realist. My sister-in-law has a diamond that has leakage. And you know what? It is lovely and sparkly and she gets lots of compliments. My diamond is better cut and I think it is more beautiful. But cut matters a lot to me. Good enough is not enough for me, or many of us here on PS, we want THE BEST. But maybe good enough is fine for you and what you desire. And that is OK as long as you paid a fair price, which you did. So now YOU need to decide if it is worth it to you to find a better cut stone.
I don''t have anything to add, I just wanted to say that this is very well-written, dreamer!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2010 4:08:31 PM
Author: NeverEndingUpgrade
Date: 5/13/2010 3:18:33 PM

Look, lets be real here.

I don''t have anything to add, I just wanted to say that this is very well-written, dreamer!

ditto this!!

OP I did not realize you had already proposed with this diamond. If you are worried about it then go to a Jared''s and compare it with their Peerless line to see if the cut difference is going to make a big difference to your or your FI. But otherwise just enjoy it :)

Also you can make yourself go CRAZY second guessing these decisions, like "should I get G or H? this diamond or this one? can this one save me some $$" the important thing is that you presented a beautiful diamond to your girlfriend and she was thrilled with it :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results