shape
carat
color
clarity

Resizing a ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bigalpha

Rough_Rock
I know you can take a ring into a jeweler to get a ring resized UP. How much can you resize before it has to be reset?

For example, if I have a size 7, can i get it quickly resized to 8 or 8.5?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 11:58:02 AM
Author:bigalpha
I know you can take a ring into a jeweler to get a ring resized UP. How much can you resize before it has to be reset?

For example, if I have a size 7, can i get it quickly resized to 8 or 8.5?
If it is a plain solitaire band it shouldn''t be a problem, other types might be problematic such as diamond bands, intricate designs etc.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A plain solitaire of normal construction can go from size 3 to size 12 beginning with a size 6. Sometimes complications arise which make the jeweler leave the ring a bit oval rather than totally round inside. Sometimes the metal is too brittle, porous or overly hard and it can crack. In general these issues can be resolved without a new mounting. Once you have side stones, fancy sides, open work filigree galleries, hollowed shanks, widgets and doodads, the scenario becomes much more complex. Usually going up a couple sizes is no problem. Going down sizes tends to be a sticky issue more often. Most of this is related to using so little metal to reduce the cost of the piece that it just can't bend enough before it breaks. High quality items, made in the weight style of the 1960'-70's tend to be very adjustable. You still can buy these now "heavy weight" items, but the norm today is overly light weight styles.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results