shape
carat
color
clarity

Requesting images from a vendor not so computer savy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scardali

Rough_Rock
I found a stone with a Gentleman who is part of a family business that has been around for some 90 years, and he's been at it for 45 himself. Given his time in the industry, he's not so tech savoy but he's in another state than I live. I visited him to see the stone last weekend, but I'd like to see it again and get some 2nd opinions as well as ask for a 3rd party appraisal.

Does anyone know what the plausibility would be of him getting a third party to get say an idealscope and maybe some other photographs of the stone (like some online sites like GoodOldGold does). I know he doesn't have any of the equipment to obtain this imagery, so I'm wondering if there are avenues out there such that he could solicit the business with a third party so that I wouldn't have to make another trip to see it again. Do you have any idea of what the cost possibilities are of doing so?

Thanks for any feedback.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/3/2009 11:40:49 AM
Author:scardali
I found a stone with a Gentleman who is part of a family business that has been around for some 90 years, and he's been at it for 45 himself. Given his time in the industry, he's not so tech savoy but he's in another state than I live. I visited him to see the stone last weekend, but I'd like to see it again and get some 2nd opinions as well as ask for a 3rd party appraisal.

Does anyone know what the plausibility would be of him getting a third party to get say an idealscope and maybe some other photographs of the stone (like some online sites like GoodOldGold does). I know he doesn't have any of the equipment to obtain this imagery, so I'm wondering if there are avenues out there such that he could solicit the business with a third party so that I wouldn't have to make another trip to see it again. Do you have any idea of what the cost possibilities are of doing so?

Thanks for any feedback.
It is certainly worth asking, use this tool to see if there is an appraiser in your area,

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Pricing, this depends as there would be shipping fees involved and also what services and how in depth an appraisal you require, best to check with the parties involved rather than for me to hazard a guess.

your jeweller could maybe arrange to have the diamond sent to an appraiser if you can come to an agreement whom can give you an impartial opinion on this stone for purchase.

If you wish you could post all the details of the diamond ( especially if it is a round diamond) and we can take a look for you?

scardali

Rough_Rock
Well if any of you would be willing to give opinions, I'd certainly be appreciative of your thoughts.

I've seen it once, but it wasn't in the greatest lighting, hence the reason I'd like to get some pictures of the stone, and try to see it again before I buy it, next time in better lighting but here are it's specs from the GIA cert:

Shape: Round Brilliant
Carat Weight: 1.61ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI2
Cut Grade: Ex
Polish: Vg
Symmetry: Vg
Flouresence: Faint

Comments:
Additional twinning wisps are not shown
Surface graining is not shown.

Table: 60%
Girdle: thin to medium faceted
No culet
Depth: 61.0%

Don't know what these are called but:
depth from girdle up: 14%
depth from girdle down: 43.5%

Assuming that my first impression is correct and this is in fact an "eye-clean" SI2, I think that $8400 for this stone is a good price... thoughts on that? The only inclusions on the reference diagram are two twining whisps. One that goes from the outer perimeter of the diamond to about helf-way into the table, and the other goes almost 85% from end to end of the diamond, but I don't recall being able to see this with the naked eye. This is part of the reason I want to see it again though in better light.

Is that price about average, or is that competitive pricing?

Thanks in advance for your input!
SC

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have crown and pavilion angles listed?

scardali

Rough_Rock
report# 15021568

if I''m reading this correctly, the crown angle is 35 and the pavillion angle is 41. These are the only two numbers listed not as percentages, but appear to be both pointing to the thickness of the girdle?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 11:56:27 AM
Author: scardali
report# 15021568

if I'm reading this correctly, the crown angle is 35 and the pavillion angle is 41. These are the only two numbers listed not as percentages, but appear to be both pointing to the thickness of the girdle?
Yes those would be the crown and pavilion angles, they are entering what we call the steep deep zone which can lead to light leakage * the enemy!* It could be fine however as not all these angle combos will show leakage, if you don't have images to help then check the diamond out carefully to see if there is a dark ring around the table or any dark dead patches on the surface of the stone, this is leakage. What happens is due to the angle combo in some cases light can escape and " leak" from the diamond, you want the light bouncing back and hitting you in the eye as sparkle!

Girdle will normally be listed as a percentage such as 2% for example or in words such as thin to thick, slightly thick etc.

scardali

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/4/2009 11:59:04 AM
Author: Lorelei

Yes those would be the crown and pavilion angles, they are entering what we call the steep deep zone which can lead to light leakage * the enemy!* If you don't have images to help then check the diamond out carefully to see if there is a dark ring around the table or any dark dead patches on the surface of the stone, this is leakage. What happens is due to the angle combo in some cases light can escape and ' leak' from the diamond, you want the light bouncing back and hitting you in the eye as sparkle!

Girdle will normally be listed as a percentage such as 2% for example or in words such as thin to thick, slightly thick etc.

I will consider that carefully with the images I eventually hope to get taken, and also with the next in-person viewing I get. Have to get from DC to NY to do it, so it's a hike, but sounds even more like I need to make sure I see this stone in some very good light. I'm planning to possibly use Dave Atlas to appraise the stone, and he mentioned that images are included. I'll inquire as to whether he's able to test it and generate a light report as well? I don't know how reasonable this is to ask, nor what the costs are, but I'll inquire.

Thank you Lorelei.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/4/2009 12:04:27 PM

Date: 9/4/2009 11:59:04 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 9/4/2009 11:56:27 AM

report# 15021568

if I'm reading this correctly, the crown angle is 35 and the pavillion angle is 41. These are the only two numbers listed not as percentages, but appear to be both pointing to the thickness of the girdle?

Yes those would be the crown and pavilion angles, they are entering what we call the steep deep zone which can lead to light leakage * the enemy!* If you don't have images to help then check the diamond out carefully to see if there is a dark ring around the table or any dark dead patches on the surface of the stone, this is leakage. What happens is due to the angle combo in some cases light can escape and ' leak' from the diamond, you want the light bouncing back and hitting you in the eye as sparkle!

I will consider that carefully with the images I eventually hope to get taken, and also with the next in-person viewing I get. Have to get from DC to NY to do it, so it's a hike, but sounds even more like I need to make sure I see this stone in some very good light. I'm planning to possibly use Mr. Dave Atlas to appraise the stone, and he mentioned that images are included. I'll inquire as to whether he's able to test it and generate a light report as well? I don't know how reasonable this is to ask, nor what the costs are, but I'll inquire.

Thank you Lorelei.
Oh you would be in excellent hands with David, I believe he should be able to provide images and perform other tests, he is a super chap and will be very pleased to discuss this with you and help you in every way!

I was going to suggest you could purchase your own Idealscope if you wished, but David will be able to provide images I am sure.

http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=2&ShowAdd=Y

And you are most welcome, glad to help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad to help, you have a great weekend too! I will be around if you need any more assistance!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results