shape
carat
color
clarity

Request for CAD help!!

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I started with SBear621's gorgeous three stone ring by Steven Kirsch. Back in the day BE was on the roll and producing amazing pieces.

I had requested them to work on a setting for my sapphire with pear sides and received the following CADs.I wish that the first set of CADs made my heart sing but something is missing...

My first comments were
My first set of comments are (that may not make sense
1. The bottom curve should be part of the main circle support instead of the outer one. That will help the top circle portion to be lighter and more delicate
2. The wire transition looks really awkward...
3. Remove center stone bar
4. I'm debating whether it would help if the center stone was slightly raised higher..

I'd really appreciate if I could receive some help from the eagle eyed ladies that could reinfuse this design with what made it so special

steven_kirsch_three_stone_trellis.jpg

dltr4.jpg

dltr1.jpg

dltr2.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your mock up! :love: A picture says a thousand words. I think that if you show him this mock up, and I believe you want the "shoulders" to taper towards the head, correct - if so tell him that? Then it will be much closer to what your inspiration photo shows!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only comment that is confusing to me is "Make this wire seem like it's separate sliding into the shank."

You want it to come from the shank seamlessly but look like a separate wire. I think "seamlessly" is the word that
they need to know. Right now it looks like there is a seam there.

Edit...also if you send them that picture you need to move the purple box up more near the purple circle. Right now
one corner of the box is pointing at the green area which makes it look like it's related to the lower shank area.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you have most of it captured. But no, not all. But I can't tell how much is going to be fixed by what you already have captured. Because it really depends on how they take your comments and translate them into the next CAD round.

I would advise you to stick to the current revisions. Then, let's see what happens. If we need another round, we'll do another round. =)

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Here's the 2nd round

The gallery still doesn't sing to me at all...
I'm beginning to wonder if the side stones are too long.

_38085.jpg

_38086.jpg

_38087.jpg

_38088.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe. But the purple stone is also really deep which is causing issues too.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
Yeah the sapphire is a bit deep and far from standard diamond ideal stats. The sapphire is something I'm not willing to change...

I'm a bit confuddled on what to say all together. There's so many weird transitions and it just looks so wrong.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you consider a different setting??? I don't think this design works with those stones, particularly that sapphire. I really like the proportions of the side stones with the center.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
omgg!! I was looking for that listing!!! That would had helped soooo much! Thank you Gypsy!

I also gave a video of the 5 stone person and I think something finally kind of clicked. it's still not perfect but I feel better..
I wish this was the very first iteration...

They still haven't gotten the tapering of the shank towards the end of the pear and the wires around the center stone need to be more rounded.

I was so disheartened the first few editions..

_38109.jpg

_38110.jpg

_38111.jpg

_38112.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a CAD expert, but I think the biggest issue (for me, at least) is that so much of the center stone is "showing" through the wire. It almost feels like the center stone is "naked" in terms of not having the wires close enough together.

This might not help that much, but here is a profile shot of my 5-stone ring that shows how the wires cross.

20160829_150859.jpg

And here's a potential idea for yours to look a little more like that in terms of having coverage on the middle stone.

_38109.jpg

I hope that makes sense--sorry for my horrible photo-shop skills! :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to disagree with LD. I think the placement of those wires in relation to the center stone are finally perfect. I would not move them in.

RSN, I agree that this version is a vast improvement over the previous versions. YAY! :shifty:

Try this.

rsn_cad.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd likely listen to Gypsy over me since she's seen TONS more CADS than I have. But no matter where you go from here I 100% agree that this version is much better than the previous ones :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
lovedogs|1472523683|4071328 said:
I'd likely listen to Gypsy over me since she's seen TONS more CADS than I have. But no matter where you go from here I 100% agree that this version is much better than the previous ones :)

8) The biggest difference is I was looking to the original setting. You were looking to your own ring. The prongs on the inspiration ring are set farther apart than those of your ring. Neither is "wrong" in the abstract. Both are lovely looks. But since she specifically wants to get close to the SK version, I wouldn't move the prongs. :wink2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results