shape
carat
color
clarity

Recutting Old Miner''s Cut Diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

old-D

Rough_Rock
I''ve inherited a diamond that I believe is an old miner''s cut. I''ve not had it appraised, but I did take it to the NY Diamond District. While I was browsing for a new setting to place it in, a jeweler offered to look at it for me. His on-the-spot evaluation was that it was a G or H color, 1.75 - 1.8 carat, diamond with a 7.5mm diameter. He looked through a 10mm scope, and despite trying for quite some time, said that he could not see any flaws. He fervently characterized the diamond as an extremely nice diamond (another jeweler, just glancing at the diamond had a similar reaction). Without providing you much more detail than that, I was hoping you could answer a few questions. The jeweler mentioned that this diamond was an ideal candidate for being recut. He said that it would end up being 1.5 carat and be valued at $10-11K if it was recut. Should I consider recutting this diamond? What are the pros and cons? Will the sparkle of the diamond be increased significantly if it is recut? Enough to be noticeable to the passerby? I can see the "hole" at the bottom of the diamond from the flat bottom of the miner''s cut when I look at it, but overall, I''m not disappointed with the refraction of light/whiteness.

Thanks for your comments/thoughts. Also, if you recommend that I have it recut, could you also recommend a jeweler that would provide this service?

Thanks,

LC

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The pro is you'll be getting a stone with much better light performance.

The con is you'll be destroying an irreplacable hand-cut antique diamond that is extremely sought after by some people. It is rather difficult getting high color, largish OMCs because in decades past people cut them into modern shapes. In my mind it's like all the Victorians in San Francisco that were destroyed in order to make way for modern houses. Later on, people re-discovered the charm of the older buildings, mourned the loss of the lost ones, and now the old Victorians are bought and sold at premiums.

I'm *not* saying that if you hold on to the OMC it will fetch a premium, but with all the celebrities buying antique rings now, they are definitely more appreciated. IMO it would be a crying shame to re-cut it so it becomes no more special than any generic 1.5 carat modern diamond. There are so many of those while you currently have something unique.

Either way, the person to contact for more information, both on leaving it as is or re-cutting it, is Dave Atlas, who goes by Oldminer on Pricescope.

old-D

Rough_Rock
Thanks Hest88,

That was exactly what I needed to hear. I was inclined to keep the diamond as it is, but felt a bit of pressure to "keep up with the Joneses." It is quite pretty--I'll relax now and appreciate its uniqueness.

Thanks again!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Old-D, you're a gal after my own heart! Get the diamond set in a nice antiquey setting and wear it proudly!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results