shape
carat
color
clarity

Recently engaged. How do I clean this thing?

yasssss

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I am recently engaged and I adore my ring (though I've only taken a few pictures of it and its already dirty :nono: ). Its pave and I dont know how to clean it or how often to do so. I was just going to take it to the jeweler every other month or so (the jeweler is nearly an hours drive away). Do I clean it at home? And is it ok to wear all the time (except cleaning, working out and showering of course)? Please help!

img_0332__1_.jpgimg_801_0.jpg20140328_135605-1_0.jpg

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I just use Dawn dishwashing liquid and an old soft toothbrush. Scrub gently. I also use rubbing alcohol as a degreaser, sometimes. I like Dawn for the same reason: Good degreaser and it washes off leaving no residue.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
you can clean your diamonds as many times a day as you like. You can also buy an ultrasonic cleaner for use at home. Diamonds will be find in it, but don't use the ultrasonic for emeralds/opals/pearls or soft stones.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Probably daily or even twice daily, if I were wearing rings daily. But I'm single and have a job where I can't wear them, so I don't have to clean often. I don't own an ultrasonic. People have had small diamonds fall out of settings, so just be watchful if you get an ultrasonic.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The best thing I've found recently - [I had been soaking, scrubbing, steaming] is a little pen-like thing called "Connoisseurs Diamond Dazzle Stick". Then run the diamond under hot water for a minute while brushing. I've found that it works much better than anything else I've tried and is very simple. It makes the pave sparkle as well. However, I have not tried Dawn.
By the way, a small art store paint brush works much better than a toothbrush. The Dazzle Stick has a small soft brush, but if you are going the Dawn route you may want to buy a little paint brush.
Also my appraiser recommended soaking overnight, every night.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jimmianne|1398166137|3657711 said:
By the way, a small art store paint brush works much better than a toothbrush.

I second this idea wholeheartedly. Get one with long, fine, but stiff bristles. After soaking, work the brush up underneath the prongs and try to clean as much of the pavilion of the center diamond as possible. This is where the film tends to build up that will diminish light performance. Cleaning it regularly will keep that film from getting so hard that you can't do an effective home cleaning. If it hasn't been cleaned in a while you might want to take it to the jeweler for a professional cleaning. Then start a regular program at home.

I have heard many people recommend Dawn. You can also use a dilute solution of household ammonia and water (2/3 warm water, 1/3 ammonia). It won't hurt diamonds or precious metals.

It's amazing what a difference keeping your diamonds clean will make to their beauty and your overall enjoyment of them. I think people gradually slip into a situation where they have lost alot of light performance because the change is so incremental over time.

Don't let that happen people!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results