shape
carat
color
clarity

Rapaport Price List

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
how to get the pricing list if it is out....i googled the net and could not find how to purchase it...or it is for diamond dealers only and not to the public?

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone can purchase a subscription. The cheapest is $180, for monthly updates, which is why it's not generally bought by non-dealers. There is a "by the month" option at $60/month, but I'm not sure if there is a minimum term.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/1/2008 5:09:59 PM
Author:Doc_1
how to get the pricing list if it is out....i googled the net and could not find how to purchase it...or it is for diamond dealers only and not to the public?
just ask your vendor "what''s RAP" on XX stone.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Am searching for a diamond for my wife and i would like to know what is the whole sale starting negotiating price so i know my ground...i don''t like the feeling of being ripped off or over paid for just not doing my homework.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
thx Neil for the link it is an interesting article...However i still think for educated customer to know the retail pricing is a plus. then i can factor in the other criteria and decide if the extra money is worth it or not.
It is always good to be more informed as long as am using the info the right way.
I agree with you again and i compare it to reading an article on a research in our profession (Medicine), we were always taught the worst thing we can do is running to conclusion and read it..we where taught during residency how to criticize the article then if it sounds solid then to consider the conclusion.
thx again for the link it will add to what i know.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pretty much any dealer who wants to can look you up a price. Many if not most are subscribers for reasons explained in the article. The price listed is not ‘wholesale’ (whatever that is, but that’s a whole new conversation) or even retail and it is almost certainly not the dealers cost but if it makes you feel more comfortable in shopping to know it, I’m sure you can find someone who will help you out. Ring up your favorite dealer and ask.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Is it fair to say that Rap price is the base and i should get as close to it as i can?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
A lot of dealers of poorly cut IGI/EGL-Israel graded diamonds would love for you to use rap to negotiate with them.
They say I need rap + 10% you negotiate to rap + 5% thinking you got a deal and they pocket a 30% profit.
They win you lose.

Now another dealer across the way is selling excellent/ideal cut ags/gia graded diamonds at the same rap+10% making a 10% profit.
He wont move to rap+5% and you go off mad and buy from the other guy.
You both lose.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 6:42:12 PM
Author: Doc_1
Is it fair to say that Rap price is the base and i should get as close to it as i can?
Internet advertisers present their wares right here...on this board...several actually even advertising for the same diamond held "somewhere" for different prices...which means they need to be close to the bone to get your attention and business. I would use the "Pricescope your diamond" here above to see real world ranges and targets. The "search by cut" option within provides a target center where options have a smaller range, somewhat higher price...and for these generally non-virtual and in-house options...you can expect a more reliable and higher quality.

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
So why is the pressure on Rap to up his prices..and he lowered it instead in the past?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 6:53:56 PM
So why is the pressure on Rap to up his prices..and he lowered it instead?
because the trade is terrified of lowering prices so they want him to make it look like all is ok while below the surface it isn''t.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/1/2008 7:05:18 PM
Author: strmrdr

because the trade is terrified of lowering prices so they want him to make it look like all is ok while below the surface it isn''t.
Not exactly Karl..., its not a question of being ok or not..., this industry (as all others) is witnessing (from the sidelines [in my opinion]) one of the most serious economic crisis since the depression...

As of now..., there was some speculations when it came to the larger finer quality Diamonds..., so naturally a lot of dealers or industry members are nervous at this time...

The turmoil dust/fog is still fresh and heavy..., its hard to look ahead and see the results (for the Diamond industry at least)...

Saying its not ok below the surface is not the right wordings..., we dont know yet as most segments are frozen at this time and there are almost no deals made..., but I can assure you that I personally know of some deals that are still made at the regular prices of a month or two ago..., especially in the smaller goods segment (2 carats and below).

Time will tell what will happen in the Diamond industry..., but you might find yourself surprised...
2.gif

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 7:25:47 PM
Author: DiaGem

Not exactly Karl..., its not a question of being ok or not..., this industry (as all others) is witnessing (from the sidelines [in my opinion]) one of the most serious economic crisis since the depression...

As of now..., there was some speculations when it came to the larger finer quality Diamonds..., so naturally a lot of dealers or industry members are nervous at this time...

The turmoil dust/fog is still fresh and heavy..., its hard to look ahead and see the results (for the Diamond industry at least)...

Saying its not ok below the surface is not the right wordings..., we dont know yet as most segments are frozen at this time and there are almost no deals made..., but I can assure you that I personally know of some deals that are still made at the regular prices of a month or two ago..., especially in the smaller goods segment (2 carats and below).

Time will tell what will happen in the Diamond industry..., but you might find yourself surprised...
2.gif
At the consumer end do you think it will be better if i wait a little if that means i can get a better deal?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There’s a LOT of money at stake. Assume, for arguments sake that the aggregate inventory currently in the pipeline is 100,000 stones and the ‘average’ stone is $10,000, that’s a billion dollars worth of inventory. Most is priced for sale as a ratio to Rap. Some are more, some are less, etc. depending on the merits of each stone. A 1% change in Rap costs or makes the collective $10,000,000!

Of course they pressure him to always go up. And kudos to Mr. Rapaport for resisting.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock

2.gif

They cant stay frozen or the industry is dead.
If they don''t make enough money over the holiday season they are toast.
They don''t have much time before they are forced to move.
No one wants to make the first move that makes sense as the first to move could lose big time.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/1/2008 7:40:29 PM

At the consumer end do you think it will be better if i wait a little if that means i can get a better deal?
I believe if you need or want to buy a Diamond today you might have a bit of an advantage as you know the latest slogan...., "CASH IS KING"...

And if you can find a cash hungry jeweler you might be in a better negotiating position...., one thing is for sure..., having the Rapaport pricesheet handy will be an obstacle for your position rather than help...

Good luck!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/1/2008 7:51:27 PM

2.gif

They cant stay frozen or the industry is dead.

Dont worry..., its impossible to stay frozen..., but it is for the near future...

If they don''t make enough money over the holiday season they are toast.

Like I said previously..., the good will survive..., good old fashioned capitalism

They don''t have much time before they are forced to move.
No one wants to make the first move that makes sense as the first to move could lose big time.

Some are making moves already..., thats where some journalists have a field-day, but its considered a drop in the bucket
27.gif
..., but I said before and I will say again..., this industry is dominated by very strong economic entities/hands (much more than examples in the past)...

Doc_1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 7:57:40 PM
Date: 11/1/2008 7:40:29 PM

I believe if you need or want to buy a Diamond today you might have a bit of an advantage as you know the latest slogan...., ''CASH IS KING''...

And if you can find a cash hungry jeweler you might be in a better negotiating position...., one thing is for sure..., having the Rapaport pricesheet handy will be an obstacle for your position rather than help...

Good luck!

Am sorry ..but i do not know how knowing more can be an obstacle. i can choose to pay more but at least i want to know.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 8:14:01 PM

Am sorry ..but i do not know how knowing more can be an obstacle. i can choose to pay more but at least i want to know.
The bottom line is that the pricescope search prices are more indicative of low end real world prices than RAP is.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2008 8:45:53 PM
thx Karl for the advice ...will do..!!
Your welcome.
Just the other day someone found the exact same diamond same report number and everything for $4k less on the PS search engine so your on the right path wanting a price reference.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results