shape
carat
color
clarity

Radiant diamond in different lighting situations-- help!

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone this is my first post on here but I have been lingering for quite a while! I recently got engaged and I love my radiant cut diamond. However, I have noticed that in certain lights it looks dark and sometimes yellow. Can anyone shed some light on whether this is normal or not. My stone is a 2.5 carat radiant H color. In daylight it looks beautiful and white and sparkly. In restaurants, kitchens and bars it loos dark but still very sparkly. I have a halo around it so it might just be more obvious to me because the halo is so white but I would love to know if this happens to other people's diamonds and if so, is it normal?? Thank you!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Radiant- congrats on the diamond!
In terms of what you're seeing...do you have a GIA report for the diamond?
If so we'll have a better idea what we're looking at.

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
Thanks for both of your responses!
My fiance has the GIA report when he gets home I will get the stats and post them. Thank you so much.

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
Also would it help to post pictures of the diamond performing in different kinds of lighting?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Incredible looking ring, that's for sure- big!

I totally understand the difficulty in relaying what you see in the photo versus what you see in real life.

No diamond will sparkle equally in all lighting environments.
In the case of stones like a radiant cut, the flash and sparkle is fluid- as you move your hand, or your eye in relation to the lighting sources, and diamond, everything is constantly changing.
There are definitely stones with detrimental bow ties in my opinion. In such cases the dark areas are static- not nice
But many pear shape, oval marquise and even radiant cut diamonds sometimes exhibit this effect in a non detrimental way.
The dark areas light up with the slightest movement, creating a lot of sparkle.

You're looking at the stone- do the dark areas stay dark, or do they light up frequently as it moves?

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your complements :)
It totally depends on the lighting. In most lighting, sun, office, house, indoor spaces without recessed lighting there is no black at all and the bow tie just looks like a clear facet and the whole stone is very bright and white. When in a restaurant or bar the bow tie is dark (as is the whole stone) and does not move or let light through.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
It sounds like your diamond is doing what diamonds do, and what you describe in within the range of normal for a diamond accross lighting invironments.

Is that what you really want to know? Or is there something more specific you are looking to learn.

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
What I want to know is if it is normal that under certain lights the center stone turns dark when it is normally so white and sparkly and that under those lights black spots (including defined bow tie) appear. Below are the stats from the GIA certificate:

Cut cornered rectangular modified brilliant
8.82 x 6.98 x 4.85 mm
carat weight: 2.52 carats
Color: H
Clarity: VS2
Total Depth: 69.5%
Table Size: 61%
Girdle: Thick
Cutlet: None
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very good
Flourescence: None

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its completely normal. Those of us with rounds will tell you the same thing. Diamonds look different in different lighting. They reflect colors around them. Your diamond may look its best in a white room with halogen lights! But since we all can't stay in that environment, we just have to love our diamonds' different looks in different lighting environments!

Your ring is beautiful!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Photos are extremely hard to take- especially ones that capture the beauty of a radiant cut
As has been said- no one can judge a fancy shaped diamond by it's measurements.
Having said that, the specs on your stone look great.
Specifically EX/VG - which is rare on a radiant cut- also small table indicates a higher crown- which is also a lovely look in most cases.

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
Thank you diamondseeker and rockdiamond for your kind words and feedback :)
It is truly remarkable how much my ring sparkles even when it looks dark it is sparkling like crazy. It does slightly bother me though that I notice this tint in certain lighting.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It looks like a normal reasonably well cut radiant to me.
Due to the very small virtual facets it will be brighter in direct light that is brighter and or smaller sources.
In more flat lighting it isn't as bright static but should still sparkle as you move it.

radiant2011

Rough_Rock
It definitely still sparkles even when it is dark I just don't like that it will look dark in certain light even though it is still sparkling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results