shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fiancee to be

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
This is probably basic knowledge to almost everybody here but me. What is the defining characteristic of a catherdral setting? My gf wants a platinum solitaire cathedral setting, the diamond will be princess cut. I thought I had it figured out but when I look at other settings I thought would be cathedral they are called something else. And I would really appreciate any suggestions on where I could find really beautiful settings like the one I described. Thanks everybody.

FTB

cushioncut

Shiny_Rock
I think it''s considered cathedral when the sides go up into the side of the diamond, like this. As opposed to being a fully round ring, with prongs set on top of it.

P.I.C........jpg

reena

Ideal_Rock
the top ring (mine) is cathedral style; the bottom ring (FTLOD's ring) is not.
1.gif
as cushioncut said, i would describe cathedral settings as those that have "arms" that rise up to the stone from the shank.

cathedral1.JPG

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a more typical cathedral setting. Again note how the "arms" of the shank rise up toward the crown.

gi_JD0102_m.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results