shape
carat
color
clarity

Quick Advice: Is this briaded concept cheesy?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

familystone

Shiny_Rock

Ok you can find the history of the story here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/needs-help-finding-a-good-custom-platnum-smith.42162/

The question is if you think this concept would be too busy or downright cheesy? (the braided portion of the ring) I have decided that I want a modified D Vatche inspired design. Hopefully Vatche will agree to customize the ring themselves as I am waiting to here back from them.
The style is based on their x-prong round channel set ring:

http://www.dvatche.com/eclipse/new_catalouge.htm

However I like the setting better of the Hybrid x-prong and royal crown found here:

http://www.diamondvues.com/archives/2005/04/

Additionally I wand to make the stone sit slightly higher and I would like the band of platinum around the girdle to be thinner if possible so that you can truly appreciate the depth and shape of the OMC center stone.

I would like flowing out of both ends of the bottom of the channel a braided design. However, I want it to look more like flowing waves then braided hair. I don’t want a space between them either where you could see through the ring. I have seen some examples of braids that look cheep and unappealing but others that definitely draw your eye like Mark Morrel piece below:

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/January-05/

I liked the potential for this ring as well,

http://www.peterindorf.com/catalog/item.cgi?item=010011

but preferred the MM won if I could tighten the strands so no space could be seen

I also borrowed the bottom portion of the ring from a design in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/want-to-share-a-ring-design-i-just-made.36445/=

Do you think it takes away from the stone and will make the ring too busy? Anyways please give me feedback either way so I know whether I am going astray.

Thanks Dave

familystone

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to mention I am going to a couple of jewlers tommorow afternoon so a quick response would definately be appriciated.

-Dave

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link to another
5.gif

HKRc.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally am not a fan of the braided look. What does your girlfriend think?

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the look, however, I would not like it for an everyday ER......more for like a right hand ring, or an occasional fun ring.....

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Not as fan of the braided look. Unless you KNOW she has been wanting it, its a big risk.

If you love the look, I would still go with more traditional for engagement ring and then for another gift in the future, anniversary, birthday etc, get her a braided ring for her right hand with a colored gem stone.

Just an idea :)

Have fun shopping!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Vera Wang has several "twisted wire" (braided?) styles in her bridal collection that are quite beautiful. An option, perhaps? www.verawang.com

cheers--Sharon

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
i think the braided ring is VERY cool! I haven''t seen one like those around anywhere - very unusual!

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback so far, she definately didn''t mention the concept herself so it definately would be a risk which I getting more hesitant about after hearing the coments but who knows prob depends on if Vatche could do it themselves so I would be assured a quality product. Anyways keep the comments coming (any other suggestions would be welcomed too!)

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2006 10:45:35 AM
Author: familystone

... she definitely didn''t mention the concept herself so it definitely would be a risk ...

Would you consider presenting the diamond in a temporary setting? Custom work would not be inexpensive (thinking of Vatche - definitely not) and ... why risk going wrong with some matter of taste issue
38.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/23/2006 12:22:06 PM
Author: valeria101
Date: 3/23/2006 10:45:35 AM

Author: familystone

... she definitely didn''t mention the concept herself so it definitely would be a risk ...

Would you consider presenting the diamond in a temporary setting? Custom work would not be inexpensive (thinking of Vatche - definitely not) and ... why risk going wrong with some matter of taste issue
38.gif

i completely agree. If you are not 100% sure of what she wants, I''d also suggest a temp setting and then you guys can pick the permanant setting together. That, or get a very good idea of exactly what she wants ahead of time so you will be 100% sure she''ll love it
1.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Don''t really like the look of the ones you posted - but the Harry Kotlar version Ana posted is exquisite! That would be a beautiful ering IMO!!

blondie76

Rough_Rock
I have a family friend with the most beautiful braided wedding band I''ve ever seen (which sits next to the largest and fattest marquise I''ve ever seen!) I can''t explain it very well but it''s kind of like two ropes wrapped around eachother, all diamond-encrusted of course! I''ve never seen anything like it in stores or online, maybe it''s custom, but the effect is stunning! Just another thought! Good luck!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo I think the ring diamond_quester posted is a great compromise between the braided look and the traditional solitaire!

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Well even though I like the concept and many of the rings posted looked great I think I am going to save it for another ring and not the engagemetn ring.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

thanks for all the suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results