shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions: Which stone to pick & polish and symmetry

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrlink

Rough_Rock
I have a couple of questions. I am looking at a couple of stones getting ready to purchase (see below). I ran them through the Cut Advisor and think I am happy with these...however, I don''t understand enough about polish and symmetry values to make a good choice.

I will be putting this stone in a platinum setting.

Can you please comment?

Thanks!

Matt

Stone 1 Round Ideal Cut
.90ct
G
VS2
Depth: 62.6
Table: 54
Crown Angle: 34.9
Pavilion Angle: 40.7
Girdle: Medium
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good

HCA 1.3
Light Return: Ex
Fire: Ex
Scintillation: Ex
Spread: Vg
Price: 4020.00

Stone 2 Round Ideal Cut
.82ct
D
VS1
Depth: 61
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34.8
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: EX
Symmetry: EX

HCA 1.8
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Very Good
Scintillation: Very Good
Spread: Very Good
Price: 4338.00

Stone 3 Round Ideal Cut
.9ct
H
VVS2
Depth: 62.3
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.6
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Very Good

HCA 1.4
Light Return: Excellent
Fire: Excellent
Scintillation: Excellent
Spread: Very Good
Price: 4080.00

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the proportions of #3 the most but there is something to be said for polish/symmetry. Also keep in mind that the HCA is *assuming* perfect optical symmetry which stone #3 (or even perhaps the other 2) does not have. It is the combination of symmetry and light return that's going to impact the overall beauty of the cut. Any pics of the 3 under an IS or H&A viewer?

mrlink

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/27/2004 11:34:22 AM Rhino wrote:

I like the proportions of #3 the most but there is something to be said for polish/symmetry. Also keep in mind that the HCA is *assuming* perfect optical symmetry which stone #3 (or even perhaps the other 2) does not have. It is the combination of symmetry and light return that's going to impact the overall beauty of the cut. Any pics of the 3 under an IS or H&A viewer?----------------

Rhino,

The only image I have is from stone 1. hopefully I can get some soon.

Thanks for your reply...on a Sunday even!

Matt

stone_1.jpg

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
Having posted this question before, I thought Gary Holloway said that anything better than Very Good for Polish/symmetry and you will not be able to see the difference with the naked eye (visually). I remember he said the GIA president said the same thing and that someone was doing a study to present at the Moscow conference on this. Does it really matter or should the real focus be on the other parameters of the stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results