shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions on recutting a stone

annam

Rough_Rock
First, thank you to everyone about all th knowledge you all have shared. I learned so much about diamonds since learning about this website.

My dad bought my mom a 1.15ct diamond, I2 clarity (from the appraisal). It has a huge table, I mean huge! You can barely tell where the table ends. It is also a bit cloudy and doesn't sparkle much. I recently recived RA# to have it evaluated for a recut. I am so excited to do this for my mom who loves the diamond but I know that it can be so much more.

I am wondering what is evaluated to ensure it is not damaged when it is recut. I am terrified of this happening. Also when I look at the diamond from the side, there appars to be a horizontal seam through the middle of the diamond. I can't tell what this is. I tried taking a photo but I only have an iphone and can't get a clear shot. I don't know what to look for re: inclusions and the like. I have a 10X loupe but can't identify anything. (I have never purchased a diamond bigger than .10ct and have no idea what to look for).

In addition, I plan to have it reset in a simple tiffany setting as the current setting is a bit cheap and is bent quite a bit.

I just want to be assured that it isn't going to break and this stress to totally worth it. I'll try to post pictures tonight.

luvmysparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I am smiling as I read this, because I have a diamond that I am sending to a PS vendor for recut. Your description sounds a lot like mine, but mine was sold to me as about a 90ish pointer. It also looks like it is a warmer color since I can see yellow face up. It sparkles some, but only in low lighting, in the daylight it looks dead. This stone is so spready that it just barely has a crown!

The table is also huge and it is almost touching the prongs. I am wondering if the seam that you see is actually the girdle and because the table is so big, it is hard to discern?

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
DSC_0092.JPG

The line across that is girdle reflection.

There's no assurance that the diamond won't come apart in cutting. That's true for a piece of rough or for a candidate for a recut. The cutter will evaluate it and let you know if there are any fractures or inclusions that make it definitely unsuitable. There's always a risk that any diamond will chip out or cleave on the cutting wheel. But on the positive side, it has already survived cutting once. Wait for the cutter to evaluate it and tell you if it can be recut or not.

I don't know what all is evaluated. But something like a feather on the girdle or possibly internal or surface graining or the nature of the inclusions could make one diamond (or piece of rough) more risky than another.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With it being I2, it is possible they may not want to recut it depending on the type and location of inclusions. Does your mom understand that the diamond could end up much smaller? I had a 1 ct family stone recut and it was .80 after the recut. I think the very large table will mean cutting a crown to reduce the size of the table and who knows about the pavilion. You could lose more or less weight than I did. Recutting may improve the stone in some ways, but it may not improve the clarity so the stone still may appear cloudy after the recut. Are you using Brian Gavin? Because I think he would be able to tell you if this would be the case.

annam

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker - I am surprising her with the recut and new setting. Right now, I am "borrowing" the ring. (I hope this doesn't sound sketchy...) She is not a jewelry person at all, but she noticed and has commented on how dull it is compared to other rings. I am sure she wouldn't notice, to tell the truth. I personally believe the cut is more important than the carat. :) From what I read here, there shouldn't be too much loss.

TC - that's it!!! I didn't know what it was and thought it was a crack. Thank you!!!

luvmy - I have read quite a few threads on recuts and yes, BG is doing the evaluation and the recut hopefully. I know it will be worth the expense. She's my mom.

Thanks for the posts. I really appreciate it. I just wanted to get some reassurances that I am not wasting the money on shipping for the evaluation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results