shape
carat
color
clarity

Questions about Settings, OECs, Tacori, and Seattle

rebski

Rough_Rock
Now that I know that I should have a few options regarding what to do with my old wedding band, my husband and I are looking at options for a new engagement ring. We had hoped to do a three-stone design using my original 1 ct round, the 0.4 carat round from his great-grandmother's engagement ring, and a new side stone. However, I got really frustrated with trying to work with a local custom jeweler and don't especially want to work with someone who's not local. I've also realized that I really want to be able to see the actual ring (or a sample of it) in person before we choose something.

We're still open to the idea of a three-stone ring if we could somehow find (and see beforehand) something good that's made for the dimensions we need. This seems unlikely, so we've started looking at options that wouldn't use the 0.4 carat stone and even some that wouldn't use either stone.

We don't live near any big cities, so we don't have a whole lot of options locally, but we are going to be in Seattle soon and should have some free time, so I would love recommendations for any shops we should check out there.

The first option that I saw in real life and really liked is this Parade design. I didn't realize until I saw it just how much I love antique-y filigree and such because it looks so different on a small, real ring than in huge pictures online. Anyway, the sample ring in the store had a CZ that's larger than my 1 ct stone, and I'm not totally sure that I'd love this setting with a smaller stone (pictures of this setting with a 1 ct stone and a size around 5.25 might be helpful if any of you have them). It would be nice to use my original stone, but we are open to getting something bigger, probably an OEC. I haven't gotten to see any OECs in person, so recommendations for where to find these in Seattle would be particularly helpful to make sure I actually like them as much as I think I would. I just love the idea of something older, with some history, set in a ring with a vintage feel. If I see some and really love them, I will certainly be back here for more advice on them.

I did find a couple Tacori settings that I liked with 1 ct stones (this one and this one, probably the first one more). I have reservations, though, because I know that there have been some issues with the durability of Tacori's rings. I love all the intricate details on the Tacori and Parade rings, but I also really want something that's going to last. Is Tacori's quality now better than it seems to have been a while back? How good is Tacori's warranty? I've heard mixed reviews of their customer service and willingness to fix issues.

If you think I should stay away from Tacori and/or Parade (I really don't know anything about Parade except that I like one of their settings, so info on them would be much appreciated, too), can you recommend something else that will have a similar look, with the delicate designs, but that might be more durable?

I'm open to the idea of buying an antique ring, so I welcome recommendations for online sellers who have good return policies, as well as stores in and around Seattle.

rebski

Rough_Rock
I figured maybe I should add a bit more about what I'm looking for in an engagement ring.
1. I'd like for it to be beautiful from all angles. I love that the three rings I mentioned above are all beautiful from the side, as well as from the top.
2. I'd like a relatively narrow, non-split shank. I certainly want the shank to be wide enough to provide good strength, but I also don't want it to overwhelm the diamond.
3. I'd like for the ring to fit flush (or at least close to flush) against a straight wedding band. Unfortunately, a lot of the really awesome antique rings with beautiful crowns could never come close to fitting flush against a straight band.
4. I'd like platinum.

If you have any recommendations for settings that fit these criteria, or for designers that I should look into, I would love to hear them.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the Parade design the best, then the Dantela, then the other Tacori... If you choose Tacori, I would make sure it's a style that only Tacori does well, because I feel like a lot of their pieces are underwhelming in person. A lot of the intricate detail that you see when it's blown up a million times looks just "meh" in person. I don't remember seeing that particular Parade setting, but I have seen several IRL, and I really liked them... :)) That said, the Dantela is very pretty, and I don't know of any other vendor that makes one quite like it. It would be difficult to replicate, I think.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wanted to say to make sure you see it in person set with a very similar sized stone. Their rings are made to scale, so a setting for a 1 ct stone may look very different than the same one for a 2 ct stone... I had my heart set on a specific Tacori style, but had only seen it set with a 1.5 ct. I thought mine would look just like it, only a bigger stone -- WRONG. I had them order that style with a 2 ct CZ so I could see it in person, and I'm so glad I did... it didn't even look like the same ring. The larger stone changed the entire aesthetic of the design, and I hated it. ::) Not knocking Tacori, it's just that they're very expensive for what they are, so I'd want to know that I puffy-heart-loved it before handed over my credit card! ;))

rebski

Rough_Rock
msop04|1406659661|3722659 said:
I like the Parade design the best, then the Dantela, then the other Tacori... If you choose Tacori, I would make sure it's a style that only Tacori does well, because I feel like a lot of their pieces are underwhelming in person. A lot of the intricate detail that you see when it's blown up a million times looks just "meh" in person. I don't remember seeing that particular Parade setting, but I have seen several IRL, and I really liked them... :)) That said, the Dantela is very pretty, and I don't know of any other vendor that makes one quite like it. It would be difficult to replicate, I think.

In some ways, I like the Parade design best. However, I think the CZ in the sample was a stand-in for a 1.25 ct diamond, and it looked just big enough to me. I'm not sure that I'd be happy with that setting with my 1 ct stone.

I actually like that the Tacori (and similar) details that are so obvious in huge pictures are less obvious when viewed in person. I actually didn't think that I liked this style because it seemed much too busy to me when I saw the pictures online, but then I loved it in person. I mean, some of the Tacori designs still seem too busy for me, but there are some that are right up my alley. I wonder what other rings that I've ruled out in the past from viewing them online would actually look nicer in person. I think almost all the Verragio rings look a bit over the top online, but I haven't gotten to see any of these in person, so hopefully I'll get to on our upcoming trip.

msop04|1406660143|3722660 said:
I also wanted to say to make sure you see it in person set with a very similar sized stone. Their rings are made to scale, so a setting for a 1 ct stone may look very different than the same one for a 2 ct stone... I had my heart set on a specific Tacori style, but had only seen it set with a 1.5 ct. I thought mine would look just like it, only a bigger stone -- WRONG. I had them order that style with a 2 ct CZ so I could see it in person, and I'm so glad I did... it didn't even look like the same ring. The larger stone changed the entire aesthetic of the design, and I hated it. ::) Not knocking Tacori, it's just that they're very expensive for what they are, so I'd want to know that I puffy-heart-loved it before handed over my credit card! ;))

I did, luckily, get to see the 1 ct versions of the Tacori rings in person. I agree about wanting to be very sure about loving a Tacori, or some other expensive setting, before I commit to it. Even with seeing the right-size rings already, I'd probably have to go back and check them out several times before deciding that they're worth the money.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Love Affair Diamonds is located close to Seattle. Send Erica a message, she has lots of OECs you could look at!

rebski

Rough_Rock
armywife13|1406719689|3723019 said:
Love Affair Diamonds is located close to Seattle. Send Erica a message, she has lots of OECs you could look at!

Thanks for the recommendation! I thought one half of the former JbEG was near Seattle, but I hadn't yet figured out which half it was.

rebski

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to report back after visiting Seattle. Thanks again, armywife, for suggesting that I try to meet up with Erica from Love Affair Diamonds. She was so friendly and helpful, and she had some beautiful rings and loose OECs. We also got to visit several stores to see some Tacori options that we hadn't yet seen in person, and I picked out a couple new favorites. I think I've ruled out the Parade setting because I'm concerned that it wouldn't be sturdy enough. I've heard about Tacori crescent rings having issues with all the little cut-outs, and the Parade setting has more cut out than the Tacori settings we're considering. Anyway, I don't have more specific questions right now but welcome any advice regarding buying antique rings, OECs, or Tacori. Unless someone has important information about these things, I think I'm ready to hand things over to my husband, who will be picking out the setting (and possibly an OEC). He knows which things I like most, and I like the idea of having this ring really be from him, since I'm sad about having to replace the original ring from him.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
hi rebski,
My e-ring experience was similar to yours, we bought an OEC from Jewels by Erica Grace (before they each created their own business) and then had the OEC set in a Tacori 2510.

I've been wearing my e-ring a year and a half-ish, I've had zero problems. It's a part of the reverse crescent collection. Lots of little inset diamonds along the sides, none of them have fallen out. No problem with the gallery work. I love looking at the side profile so much, it's very delicate looking but doesn't feel flimsy.

I do take my rings off to workout, heavy lifting, showering etc and I don't sleep with them on. Tacori has really fine milgrain detail and I want it to last as long as possible. I do wear a spacer band between my wedding ring and e-ring, it stops the milgrain from rubbing up against each other (and it helps snug up the rings a bit more, I wear my rings quite big).

ETA: Rebski - how does Parade pricing compare to Tacori? I've never heard of Parade before.

_21265.jpg

_21266.jpg

rebski

Rough_Rock
maccers|1407786554|3730362 said:
hi rebski,
My e-ring experience was similar to yours, we bought an OEC from Jewels by Erica Grace (before they each created their own business) and then had the OEC set in a Tacori 2510.

I've been wearing my e-ring a year and a half-ish, I've had zero problems. It's a part of the reverse crescent collection. Lots of little inset diamonds along the sides, none of them have fallen out. No problem with the gallery work. I love looking at the side profile so much, it's very delicate looking but doesn't feel flimsy.

I do take my rings off to workout, heavy lifting, showering etc and I don't sleep with them on. Tacori has really fine milgrain detail and I want it to last as long as possible. I do wear a spacer band between my wedding ring and e-ring, it stops the milgrain from rubbing up against each other (and it helps snug up the rings a bit more, I wear my rings quite big).

ETA: Rebski - how does Parade pricing compare to Tacori? I've never heard of Parade before.

Thanks for sharing your e-ring story! I'm glad to hear that your ring is holding up well. When I had my old engagement ring, I took it off for working out, showering, sleeping, etc., and I plan to do the same with the new ring.

As for how Parade pricing compares to Tacori, I can't remember the prices we were quoted for platinum rings from each, but the Parade setting I like most would be $2,275 in 18K gold, according to their website. I did a quick search for similar Tacori rings (halo-less solitaires with pave bands and intricate designs), and the prices of these seem to be pretty comparable to the Parade, with some higher and some lower. I haven't compared other designs from Parade and Tacori, though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results