shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for ppl who have rings from a Pricescope jeweler

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock
I'm currently in the process of having my engagement ring reset by David Klass who is not local to me since I am in Boston. I know many on this site have rings done by DK, Leon Mege, Victor Canera, WhiteFlash, BE and many more. If you don't live nearby the jeweler that made your rings, where do you go for cleaning, polishing, and to get the prongs checked? I know that you can send it back to the original jeweler but it just seems crazy to me to do that frequently. So, what do you do? Do you have your own local jeweler? Do they charge a fee for these services? Do you have a machine to clean it yourself at home? Just wondering because my original setting and wedding band were made by a local jeweler and I went to them for everything. Super excited about my DK rings but not sure how this part works. Thanks!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Question for ppl who have rings from a Pricescope jewele

I just clean the other half's with its own special toothbrush and a bar of hand soap - low abrasion, cuts through the grease, and even a 'firm' toothbrush's nylon bristles shouldn't damage solid carbon and platinum :))

It is a solitaire, though - I'm not sure what people with pavé do... lol

Prongs-wise, I am sure I read somewhere about checking them by trying to slide a piece of paper between the prong and the diamond - if you can slide it in, the prong is loose :???:

I may very well be wrong, though... :D

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If it's gold, you should not be polishing it that often because every time you polish gold, you are wearing away metal. You can clean the ring at home and use a soft buffing cloth. As for prongs, tap on the diamond. If it doesn't rattle or make a clinking sound, then it's probably secure.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

MeganShannon11|1465566186|4042628 said:
If you don't live nearby the jeweler that made your rings, where do you go for cleaning, polishing, and to get the prongs checked? I know that you can send it back to the original jeweler but it just seems crazy to me to do that frequently. So, what do you do? Do you have your own local jeweler? Do they charge a fee for these services? Do you have a machine to clean it yourself at home? Just wondering because my original setting and wedding band were made by a local jeweler and I went to them for everything. Super excited about my DK rings but not sure how this part works. Thanks!

I clean my jewelry myself. I have a $20 ultrasonic machine that I got on Amazon, but usually soft toothbrush and dish detergent is the method I use. I don't polish my jewelry, just make sure it's dry after cleaning and I like one of those soft glasses cleaning cloths for that.

As for prongs, a local jeweler can check your prongs (generally they look at your prongs with a loupe), or you can get your own loupe (again, a few bucks on Amazon, I think I paid $10 or something for my set of two loupes) and look at them yourself.

Local jewelers will often offer to clean jewelry as you browse/shop, for free.

MeganShannon11

Shiny_Rock

Laila619|1465567753|4042638 said:
If it's gold, you should not be polishing it that often because every time you polish gold, you are wearing away metal. You can clean the ring at home and use a soft buffing cloth. As for prongs, tap on the diamond. If it doesn't rattle or make a clinking sound, then it's probably secure.

My new rings will be platinum and I used to get my old platinum rings polished every so often which is why I ask...seems like you would have to send it back to the original jeweler for that?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

MeganShannon11|1465569627|4042650 said:
Laila619|1465567753|4042638 said:

My new rings will be platinum and I used to get my old platinum rings polished every so often which is why I ask...seems like you would have to send it back to the original jeweler for that?

You can find a local jeweler who can polish your jewelry, in that case.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I cleaned my original e-ring for about 25 years and occasionally when I was in a jewelry store, they asked if I wanted them to clean my rings and I did. Other than that, I didn't have anything done by a jeweler until after about 25 years when I had them sized and the white gold prongs retipped. My platinum rings I have had nothing done in 5-10 years. I use a jar of Connoisseur's Jewelry Cleaner to soak my ring and clean the diamond with the little brush a couple of times a week and then use a little ultrasonic about once a month (but not pave rings).

You absolutely do not have to have the original jeweler polish platinum rings. But I would only go to a high end jeweler for any local work. I would not even polish platinum more than every 5-10 years.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm in Boston too and work close the Long's in town. I go in there often and they know me and they always offer to clean my rings and if I wanted something checked, they would do that for me too. They never charge me for just cleaning or checking. It doesn't matter if the item was purchased from them or from someone else. (DK has made a lot of my jewelry, by the way). If your local jeweler did those things for you for your other ring, they should be willing to do it for the new one too. I will say however that I don't have my rings polished so I can't speak to that.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cleaning: DIY. Warm water, dishwashing liquid. Soft toothbrush. I'm OCD. Multiple times a day. Use my ultrasonic once every couple of weeks.

Check prongs: Local trusted jeweler will do for free. Seldom get it checked anyway.

Victor did one setting. Adam did my current.

I do not trust my jeweler to clean either of my rings.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I clean them myself, I loupe to inspect myself, and I check prongs with my loupe, and check my stone's status with my fingers. My bands I check the stones individually with a loupe as well as tapping with a little plastic 'flosser' thing to see if they move. Any work that needs done itll go back to the maker, and Ill just have them polished locally by a jeweler I know polishes well.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

rubybeth|1465568215|4042643 said:
just make sure it's dry after cleaning and I like one of those soft glasses cleaning cloths for that.

Good point!

I recall Kenny recommending one of those tins of compressed air that are designed for cleaning keyboards :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I just clean it using a $35 ultrasonic cleaner I bought on Amazon with warm water and dishwashing liquid. Then I'll take a hairdryer to it to get rid of any water spots on my diamond. :bigsmile:

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have a ring by Victor Canera with pave (profile pic). I clean it myself by soaking in hot water with a drop of dish soap. No ultrasonic for me because of the pave. The soaking seems to work well. I also would never let anyone else clean it or do work on it.

I guess if it ever needed repair or sizing I would try to get it back to Victor to do it.

I own other more generic pieces and use a couple different local jewelers for sizing and small repairs.

Anne

drk14

Brilliant_Rock

This is turning into a bit of a "how to clean your ring" thread, which is a topic that comes up from time to time, so I thought it might be helpful to add these links to some of the threads I have bookmarked that contain useful information about cleaning diamond jewelry:

Keep Diamonds Clean
Best cleaning solution for Diamonds
Cleaning Your Ring While Travelling
Kenny's recommendations on brushes for cleaning

Personally, I use a cleaning regimen that's an amalgamation of advice from the above threads, mostly based on Kenny's techniques. I start by scrubbing with a baby toothbrush using a solution of Dawn detergent and Windex, then scrub in tap water, and rinse in distilled water, followed by drying using a combination of compressed air and low-lint tissue (kimwipes). I use artists brushes dipped in isopropyl to clean the pavilion, followed again by compressed air and kimwipes to dry off any excess solvent.

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock

I have a set done by Brian Gavin when he was still with Whiteflash. When we were in Pennsylvania I sent them back at 10 years for inspection. It was fairly simple and stress free. They handled all the transport arrangements and the cost was really pretty low. I handle daily cleaning on my own. When I'm in a local high end jeweler I have them steam cleaned. I'm far to busy to take them for inspection on a regular basis anyway.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

You need a good local jeweler with an in house bench.

Sometimes "local" means a bit of a drive, depending where you are, of course.

So what I look for is a place that does nice custom metal work and does repairs and finish work in house.

I generally clean my own rings.

But my first 'phase" of checking out a new local jeweler is to find one that does repairs on site. Then I go in and I ask for my rings cleaned while I browse.

A GOOD jeweler will check your prongs and all your stones BEFORE cleaning your ring, and often after as well.

Then from there I ask to see any pieces they might have done on site. And I inspect those (loupe). And then from there I ask to see some recent bench work like sizing, etc.

If that stuff checks out, I will drop off a repair (polishing, sizing, whatever) and see what happens and what the charge is and what their attitude is about my stuff.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As far as sizing goes, unless the shank is totally plain metal, I would send mine back to the maker to be sized up. I have no one here who I would trust to do pave or an engraved shank. If they were too loose, I would add sizing beads.

Regarding cleaning, I already mentioned the red jar of jewelry cleaner. But I just sit mine on a kleenex to dry and wipe off the top of the stone and it works just fine! It doesn't have to be more complicated unless you just want it to be!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found a local bench I really like. They do a nice job and he's great about checking my jewelry, repairs when I've needed them and also very nice. He's replaced a diamond in my eternity, fixed prongs, tightened them too and sized a ring for me. He's also done my appraisals. He was so impressed with the details and quality of my Erika Winters ring when he did my appraisal he dropped by to see her collection in Vegas at the Couture show.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I clean my own rings and inspect my own jewelry. If my rings needed repair, they would go back to IDJ, LAD/CVB or VC.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results