shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Diamondseeker?

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
DS do you think the Tiffany Legacy would match with the Vatche Grace? I had planned to go with Victor Canera for my re-set, but I stumbled upon the Grace and it was all over! Love at first sight. I see that there is a matching wedding band, but I would love to own the Legacy band and was wondering if you think it would work? I plan to visit Tiffany after my re-set is done to see it in person. Also do you think the Grace will still look good with a larger stone? Mine is 1.8. I plan on paying for it tomorrow and I guess I'm a little nervous. TIA :)

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I've been wondering how your reset is coming along, I think the vatche grace is gorgeous and if it sung to you then go for it!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, just now seeing this!

I love the Vatche Grace! I think it would be outstanding with a 1.8 ct diamond! I can't wait to see your ring!

I think it has great potential to go with a Legacy band, but I do think you'll have to try them on together to see if they are the same height, etc. That is the great thing about Tiffany over custom...you can try them on before buying!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and one more very important thing, Candy. Assuming this is going to be platinum, do you know about requesting the specific alloy that is harder and more durable?

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
DS yes it will be platinum. I asked for the 95 PLAT 5% ruthenium. Is that an ok mix? I'm hoping that they actually do it! I've written everything out with detailed instructions and asked for it to be added to my invoice. How can you confirm that they made it right?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought the alloy people asked for here was 900 plat 10 irridium.

It is strange to me because in the UK an item cannot be hallmarked platinum unless it is 950 platinum. So 900 platinum rings over here are not considered platinum.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Candygrl|1406567909|3721989 said:
DS yes it will be platinum. I asked for the 95 PLAT 5% ruthenium. Is that an ok mix? I'm hoping that they actually do it! I've written everything out with detailed instructions and asked for it to be added to my invoice. How can you confirm that they made it right?

That is great!!! You really can't confirm it. You just have to hope they honor the request! What vendor is ordering the ring for you?

Pyramid, some ring makers prefer the 90plat/10iridium like Victor Canera, Mark Morrell, etc. and Tiffany uses 95plat/5 ruthenium. It may be that the handforgers prefer the 90/10 whereas the ruthenium alloy works well with casting. I don't know that to be true, but different top ring makers prefer one or the other, usually.

The standard alloy here is 95plat/5iridium and that is the softest of the three and therefore might scratch more easily and show more patina.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pyramid|1406572840|3722031 said:
I thought the alloy people asked for here was 900 plat 10 irridium.

It is strange to me because in the UK an item cannot be hallmarked platinum unless it is 950 platinum. So 900 platinum rings over here are not considered platinum.

I replied to you in the previous post, but I find your last sentence to be interesting since that means 18k gold rings are not considered gold, using that logic. ;))

18k gold is only 75% pure and 900 platinum is 90% pure.

I understand that the international standard for plat is 95%, but there are many examples of fine antique rings still around today that were made with 900 platinum.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered it from Since 1910. They have a military discount which brought the price down a little. The lady I've been working with is great and very helpful and patient. She understands all my requests and I'm confident she will order it to my specifications :). One thing I'm wondering about is the setting of my diamond. They said they will set my diamond for $80 which isn't bad but them I have to insure through the post office and pay the shipping to mail it in which is about $40. I asked my jeweler here and he wants $350!!!!! That seems crazy high to me. Should I just mail it? I don't really trust Zales to do it. We have very limited options in Hawaii. Mostly mall jewelers.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see what you are meaning about 18 carat gold. I have seen antique rings here with just the word PLAT on them. Don't know what they are. Over here we have a hallmark which is a pentagon shape with 950 inside it. This is what all platinum rings sold in the UK have. You can't buy platinum here that is not 950 per cent. I suppose if a jeweller did make it, but not common here, he would just put PLAT in it but it would not be sent for hallmarking to the assay offices and you would not find this in any main stream jeweller or high end jewellers.

We have a lot of 9 carat gold here, especially in chain stores, although engagement rings there are usually 18 carat. I remember looking in the window of one of them, it was in the summer and these two women came alongside me, they were Indian women. I heard one say to the other, come on (her name) this is 9 carat it is not real gold. All different perspectives. Remember someone writing on here one time that in America 10 karat gold is seen as kids gold. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results