shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about ring design - side stones, mellee stones, etc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
I am having such a hard time with the ring I am wanting to have made, and I honestly think it has a lot to do with not understanding side stones, mellee stones, etc.

Let me start by explaining the ring. It will have an 11.8 x 7.8 pear amethyst in the center - I want a very fine and tight halo around it - basically I want the amethyst sitting very low in the halo, claw prongs but the halo to be very fine and close, not a lot of metal showing. I want a split shank with mellees - I do not want the split to go all the way around the band, but instead to go to the halfway mark and then join to be a solid band (diamonds only going to the halfway point as well). In the splits of the shank I want 2 pear diamonds, rounded side toward the center amethyst - I''m hoping that the split shanks will essentially look like 3/4 halos for the pears (since the rounded part of the pears will bump up against (or fall slightly under) the halo from the center stone).

So here are my questions:
1. Has anyone seen something similar to this that might help me describe this to the jeweler?
2. I''m working wth WF - Bob Hoskins has been fantastic!! - he has assured me that the pears will be g/h color and VS clarity - they will not be certified (though they will weigh .40 cts each) - does anyone have experience with Whiteflash non-certified side stones? If so, are you happy with the cut? If you had it to do all over again would you go with certified stones?

I am nervous about this for some reason, I don''t know why - I really shouldn''t be - the 2 bead set bands that I received from WF are amazing!! The mellee stones in them sparkle like crazy!! I guess I want to make sure that the pears will give me the effect that I want and be very pretty and sparklie in their own way.

Advice? Comments? A smack over the head so I stop worrying? - I welcome all of it, I just want the wise ones here to share their view so I know I''m on the right path.

Thanks all
35.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Here is something similar... I know what exactly what you meant- it''s not exactly a split shank with a pear set in the open part, but the halo does follow the shape of the pears.

LM_blue.w.pinkpears.jpg

sera

Ideal_Rock
And maybe show him something like this (if one similar to what you want can't be found) along with the other and say you want it set in the space, but for the shank to follow closer along the the outside of the pear or whatever specifics you want.

ETA: I've seen baguettes E-W and N-S, RBs, kites, traps and half-moons set similarly, but never pears that I can recall... though I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Hopefully someone can hunt one down.

beaudry_spllitshank.baguette.jpg

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Sera!

I spoke with Bob at WF today and I think we have the design figured out. Now I just need the amethyst to get here!! I''m so excited to have this made, I can''t wait!

sera

Ideal_Rock
YW! I can''t wait to see the finished ring!!! Make sure you post pics as soon as it''s done!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results