shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about relationship between stone and setting color

Rb1701

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I am purchasing an engagement ring, and have no experience with jewelry. I have done a lot of research and I'm set to buy one from jamesallen.com, but there is still one thing I am confused over. I am purchasing a K-colored stone (VS2, 0.78, Excellent cut, EX polish/symmetry, faint fl.) and setting it into rose gold (picture below)

But I noticed that unlike most rose and yellow settings, which have white prongs, this one has rose-colored prongs. I am concerned this will cause the stone to reflect more yellow than I'd like. On the other hand, I've also read that it's good for higher-colored (J,K, etc.) stones to be surrounded by non-white colors, because the contrast will help the diamond appear more white.

So which has a bigger visual impact on the stone? The REFLECTION of color from the prongs/settings (in which case I'd prefer white prongs), or the CONTRAST between the stone and the setting (in which case I'd prefer to stick with the yellow prongs)?

Thanks for any advice!

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/side-stones/14k-rose-gold-wispy-nature-diamond-engagement-ring-item-50760

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Question about relationship between stone and setting co

If your stone has a yellow undertone, I don't think it will look great in a rose gold head. Generally, I like stones set in white metal for the head/prongs as I wouldn't want color reflecting in the diamond from the tips of the prongs. You just have to be careful with K color. Brown undertone looks better with rose gold to me.

The other issue is that setting has F-G diamonds in it, and I think that is going to make the center stone appear even more tinted. I would go up in color for the center stone, or else see if they can put J-K small stones in that setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results