shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about recutting and improving a diamond.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ppundy

Rough_Rock
I purchased a diamond through Ebay because I felt a need to stretch my dollar. I knew the diamond was less than perfect when ordered, but was hoping for the best. The diamond came with an IGI appraisal for $11,835 but I only paid $3,048 for it. After receiving it in the mail, I was a bit disappointed by its lack of life.
7.gif
The purchase was made through a private seller, so my return options are limited. Could someone please advise me if there is a chance of bringing life back to this stone?

Here are the details:
2.86 carat round brilliant cut
measurements 8.64-8.70 x 5.90 MM
clarity: I1-I2
color: I-J
depth: 68.1%
table: 62%
girdle: medium to very thick
cutlet: none
polish: good
symmetry: good

I live in a suburb of Chicago. Would recutting the gem help and is it worth it? I don''t mind sacrifing some carat weight to gain life. How would I get in touch with a reputable gem cutter in the area? Is there an option for clarity enhancement? Is there an option for lasering the inclusions? Any other suggestions? Please help. Thanks in advance.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
You could probably get an approximate 2.33 ideal cut out if it, which couldn''t hurt. You''d stll have a pretty heavily included stone though, which might or might not be improved by lasering and clarity enhancing.

If I were you I''d contact the PGS lab there in Chicago for a consultation. (Professional Gem Sciences) They can tell you whether the stone can be treated, and probably refer you to a good diamond cutter.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recutting would certanly help. Please read the tutorial here on pricescope to understand better my next piece of advice.

There are certain proportions that give either great brilliance or great fire. However, modern stones are rarely cut to produce great fire (FIC cut). You almost can never even find a Tak... Ideal cut as cut shops focus on maximum weight from the rough.

If you are going to get it recut I see no reason not to specify the exact cut you want within a narrow range. A T.. Ideal cut, or a FIC cut would only improve the appearance of the stone and be something that almost no one has.

Other than that, aprox 3 grand for a diamond that size - you will probably have something at least worth your investment after recutting (and it may be worth a lot more).

Please note that there can be a wide range in appraisial values.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ppundy
i had a 1.47 ct rb 60/60 stone recut and it lost 22% of its weight end up a 1.15ct.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends in large part on the location and type of inclusions if it can be recut without leaving open feathers.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Go with Rich''s advice - TomTashi at PGS.

If you get a Sarin scan and want a second opinion for some possible creative recut options - post them here and PM me to read the result.

I would advise you ways to save weight but still get a great look.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I again would suggest to you, let a profesional diamond cutter, or manufacturer look at the stone. If you want an ideal INCLUDED stone go and recut it. but an ideal heavy included diamond loose3s its efect, simply cause the diamond acts like a bunch of mirrors reflecting light, and heavy inclusions block the light return, so an ideal made heavily included diamond is a waste of time (IN MY OPPINION ONLY) I am sure a lot of people on this website wont like to hear this oppinion, but its a FACT...

Secondly, Inclusions in a diamond means (depends where they are situated in the diamond) a weaker diamond, and by only letting a pro. look and study the location and the type of inclusions, there will always be a good chance that it would get damaged during the recutting stage.

So again, The diamond must be inspected by a profesional....

Good luck,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results