shape
carat
color
clarity

Question About Pears

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Hi all! First post.

My boyfriend and I are in the market for a diamond. He wants me to pick out the style I like, so I've been trying on rings at a variety of vendors. I recently tried on a beautiful pear ring (at Harry Winston and also Cartier), which I never expected to love, but I absolutely did. It is about a 2 carat center pear with two tapered baguettes on the side (I think often referred to as the classic Winston style in the pear).

Anyway, since I'm still deciding what I like, I've been to a few other jewelers. I went to Jangmai in the Diamond District the other day, and I mentioned that I am interested in a pear. I've read their Yelp and TripAdvisor reviews, some of which say the jeweler tends to be very pro-round diamonds and pro-H&A. Their diamonds were beautiful, but when I mentioned that I wanted to see a pear, they told me that pears lose their shine/brilliance within months after purchase and will never sparkle as well as a solitaire.

I'm just curious -- for those of you who have pear stones or experience with such -- is this true? Have you found that the pear diamond lose its sparkle significantly? I know it's expected that diamonds will obviously get dirty with wear and need to be cleaned, but I'm trying to find out some more information before I decide whether I still want to consider the pear.

Niether HW nor Cartier are within our budget, and I'm sure the diamonds there are of extremely high quality. So I'm just curious what other people have experienced.

Anyway, thanks so much. I'm sure I will be back soon. :)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pears do not sparkle the same as a round diamond but that doesn't mean the aren't beautiful. No, they don't lose their sparkle in a few months. As with any diamond they just need to be kept clean to look their best.

If Pears make you happy then that is what you should get. There are many online vendors that are highly recommended here that I am sure could find you a beautiful pear diamond.

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Whoever told you that is a scoundrel. As long as a diamond is well-cut, kept clean and isn't damaged by a hard blow at precisely the correct angle, a rare occurrence, it will not lose its shine, sparkle or brilliance within months. It's the hardest substance in the universe! The stones are millions of years old.

Welcome to PS. We'll help you find a gorgeous pear. What are your parameters?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond performance drops off signficanty once it gets dirty. A leaky shape like pears will be even worse. But if you're fanatical about keeping it clean and you want a pear, that shouldn't stop you.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
pears lose their shine/brilliance within months after purchase and will never sparkle as well as a solitaire

My guess is they had more round brilliants to sell that drool worthy pears. The sparkle you leave the store with will be the sparkle you see in 50 years - as long as you clean it. I don't think I would stay with a vendor I caught in a lie.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are good at finding nice fancy diamonds. When you decide it's time to buy and you want to get the best balance of performance and price and assistance. Come back and we'll help you. Pears can be a challenge to hunt, but we're up to it.

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much. Much appreciated. I do really like the pear, which is why I was concerned when they mentioned the above. And they are known to sell more round brilliants.

I thought it strange that they have near 5-star ratings on Yelp and Trip Advisor and not one mention on Pricescope yet.

Anyway, I will definitely be back to ask for suggestions about locating a beautiful pear. :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well my pear is 18 years old and I still think it looks pretty good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
^^^^^ I'm not recommending any of those. I'm just letting you know what is available at different price ranges. So you can budget accordingly.

When you are ready we'll find a nice pear for you.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I had a pear and I loved the shape and the way it looked on my hand but I missed sparkle. I cleaned my pear daily but it just can't compete with a RB in terms of sparkle. My cushion brilliant has more sparkle than my pear did as well.

islandmouse

Rough_Rock
Thanks all. This is very helpful. I'm still looking, but I do think I am leaning toward a pear. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results