shape
carat
color
clarity

question about HW''s RB with pear-sided setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jin866

Rough_Rock
Hi, I was browsing Harry Winston''s site and found their RB with pear-shaped side stones is really beautiful. Of cause the diamond is huge
2.gif
But my questions is about the pear-shaped side stones. Most of the pear sided setting I saw at stores are not that appearling. The pear stone is white without much sparkle, almost like broken glass. But this HW''s setting is absolutely beautiful. The pear shaped stone seems to be shorter (fat pear?), like a heart-shaped or rounded triangle shaped. I wonder would fat pear be prettier as side stones or the whole impression is just due to the huge center stone?

Thanks,
Nana

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a similar setting from Tiffany''s and my pears really sparkle.

jin866

Rough_Rock
Hi, kaleigh:

So is your pear shaped stone fat pear? What''s the ratio? The pears from the settings I''ve seen are very long.

Thanks,
Nana

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have the ratio but can tell you they are .34 each and total .68. One is a little bit fatter than the other, but only I would notice that. My center stone is 2.36 E VVS2. The pears are E VVS2 as well. HTH.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi nana...

I think pears can come in all sizes/ ratios.

Long ago I had a ring mounted with pear sides. I rejected the first pair that came in because they were too skinny, and ended up with fatter ones.

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I much prefer the fatter ones as oppsosed to the skinny long ones. If you want to do a custom ring make sure you find a nicley matched pair of fatter ones, and make sure they don''t have bow ties. I don''t like the bow ties, but that''s just me.

jin866

Rough_Rock
Widget, kaleigh, Thanks for replying me. Kaleigh, your ring is beautiful. Thanks for letting me know the size of your side stones, that gives me a good idea. Mine center is 2.26ct, a bit smaller than yours. What''s your ring size? Mine is 3.75-4.

Nana

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pears shouldn't be flat looking... It may be that the ones you found were badly cut.
7.gif
This is rather common among the very small ones (below 30 pts or so), as far as I can tell.

I don't think the wide pears have more reason to be brilliant than the longer ones. Perhaps the very stretched pears take some hit - I'm thinking 2:1 or more.

Heartshapes work so beautifully for sidestones! I am surprised they are not more often used. And there is a kind of fancy sides cut much like half of a marquise: the flat bottom gets hidden next to the center stone and the overall look maybe pretty much what you are looking for. Just in case wide pears are nowhere to be found
2.gif

How about this:

13378.jpg

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
Harry would never use sleepy side stones, regardless of the shape.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
nana,
Thanks!! My ring size is 4 3/4 .

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I love the look of a RB with two pears on the side. Does anyone have a sense for whether a H&A would over-power two well-cut pears and make them look inferior? Is the difference in cut quality noticeable?

jin866

Rough_Rock
valeria, that ring is beautiful. I love the look, maybe with the side stone a little bit more round.

Where is that ring made?

Nana

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results