shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about engagement rings in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I remember someone here from Singapore saying that large stones were less common in engagement rings and that some of women just got wedding rings. Does anyone know whats common in the rest of Asia? I''m wondering especially about Japan. Also is it true that in Europe a lot of women choose sapphires over diamonds? Sales people in jewelry stores always say that... could be a myth though. I''m just curious about what the norm is in other countries. I''ve always been interested in other places. Maybe there are some people from places.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I can tell you about Japan. (I lived there for a few years, and my mother is Japanese.)

Few women wear diamond engagement rings in Japan. Although, these days the tradition seems to have caught on among the younger generation. I think most young couples are getting engaged with a diamond ring, but it's still a relatively new trend. Bigger definitely is not better in Japan. I'm generalizing here, of course, but it's just not a very flashy culture. The aesthetics of Japan is very understated and minimal. Bigger is not better. I think most women who even have a diamond engagement ring do not wear it everyday. Also, they go for the better cut with higher color and clarity grades and not higher carat size.

I know that YG (especially 24 carat) is highly prized in Chinese cultures. However, there isn't as much of an emphasis on gold in the Japanese culture. Platinum is far more popular that YG or WG. I think that in Japan there is the perception that WG is an inferior metal. There's a strong emphasis on quality, make, and brand names in Japan.

I would say that pearls are more valued than diamonds. I'm not talking about just price, but pearls are very highly prized in the Japanese culture. I bet more Japanese women have an awesome set of pearls than they do diamonds.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Diamond e-rings are definitely not as pervasive in other countries, but I suspect that is changing rapidly as more countries adopt "American" wedding practices. I'd bet that diamond e-rings will rapidly become the norm in Japan and Singapore and other wealthier Asian countries pretty quickly. Western ceremonies in addition to traditional ones are quite common in Japan and Hong Kong, even though white is traditionally the color of death, so I can see more and more young people buying diamond e-rings. And after that, they'll probably start wanting larger and larger ones too!

As for Europe, with its long tradition of e-rings, colored stones have been as common as diamonds. I'm sensing, though, given all the advertising I've seen in British wedding magazines, that diamonds may end up becoming more the norm there as well.

mpicard

Rough_Rock
I know in Japan that the younger generation does give engagement rings, and most women now expect them! My fiance is japanese and most of her friends and coworkers are engaged also. They all have diamond e-rings and my finace said her diamond was the largest. For reference I got her a 1.01ct H vs1 in a platnium setting. She loves the ring and wears it everyday. We plan on having a traditional wedding in her hometown and a western wedding in the USA. The best of both cultures.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Interesting...thanks for the information. I spent a year in Seoul Korea but at that time I wasn't really interested in diamonds. I think I remember seeing a lot of yellow gold and the preference seemed to be for delicate jewelry. But I never noticed if anyone was wearing diamond engagement rings or not.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Typical, average Malaysians generally get married with just a wedding band only as well, but those that are richer and or educated overseas do get engaged first with a diamond ring.
I've seen many wealthy (filthy rich) Indonesians with humongous diamond e-rings, like 3cts and above too, but these people are in a class all of their own when it comes to the ability to spend and there is a stark difference between them and their average countrymen.
In general, I am seeing ALOT more diamonds, on the average middle to upper middle income Singaporean now then I did just 5 years ago. Earrings, pendants, and of course the diamond e-ring. To illustrate the issue of diamond size purchased, my e-ring upgrade at 0.71ct is the biggest of those friends I know who have diamond e-rings. I did spend the least money though!
naughty.gif

My general observation though is diamonds have always been bought in most Asian countries but only by the very wealthy uppercrust of society (as shown by Indonesians now), those people who could afford it. Now, diamonds are becoming more common because of the increasing disposable income of our Average Joe in the wealthier Asian countries.
There is a definite rise in the whole diamond hoopla in all wealthier Asian countries as seen by the intense onslaught of advertisements daily, increasing public desire (to own a diamond) and good old Hollywood (think the gorgeous Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama).
5.gif

katbadness

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 4/16/2004 10:23:32 PM tomatoe wrote:

I've seen many wealthy (filthy rich) Indonesians with humongous diamond e-rings, like 3cts and above too, but these people are in a class all of their own when it comes to the ability to spend and there is a stark difference between them and their average countrymen.

My general observation though is diamonds have always been bought in most Asian countries but only by the very wealthy uppercrust of society (as shown by Indonesians now), those people who could afford it. Now, diamonds are becoming more common because of the increasing disposable income of our Average Joe in the wealthier Asian countries.
There is a definite rise in the whole diamond hoopla in all wealthier Asian countries as seen by the intense onslaught of advertisements daily, increasing public desire (to own a diamond) and good old Hollywood (think the gorgeous Reese Witherspoon in Sweet Home Alabama).
5.gif
----------------

Tomatoe,

9.gif
9.gif
Heheheh.. I wish I can say that I belong to that filthy rich group of Indonesians! But, alas.. I'm just your average middle-class person.

I have to say that I agree with Tomatoe, though. The trend of giving your s.o. a diamond engagement ring seems to be catching on. But not having lived in SE Asia for a while now, I don't know if this is mostly in the bigger cities or everywhere else in the country as well.

But obviously, not everybody can do it. So you still see a lot of people wearing just plain wedding band (or even no jewelry whatsoever!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results