shape
carat
color
clarity

putting a new stone in old head

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glaucomflecken

Brilliant_Rock
hi! I''m getting my tacori back soon and cant help but always want to tinker with it. the stone I have the head made for is round brillliant 7.44mm in diameter. i''m looking at a new stone that my jeweler has that is about 7.6mm in diameter. if i got this, would they be able to set it into the current prong that I have (the Tacori "U" style prong) or would i have to get a whole new head? would it be a bad idea to "squish" a slightly bigger diamond in there (i know its a small size difference but the stone is better than the one i have now)

thanks!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I''ll let the jewelers chime in here, but I wanted to mention that I had a slightly larger stone put into my ring''s head. The stone I had in there was .93c but it''s diameter was only 6.10 across. My new stone was .95 with a diameter of 6.38. They had no problem setting the stone into the old head.

I have since changed heads but not because of any problems...I just wanted to go back to 6 prongs and a higher setting.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Dave, talk with the person setting the stone.

But I just thought I would add that I had a 1.35 stone set in an old head that contained a 1.24 stone. The stone kept coming loose and it turned out that three of the four prongs were just stretched too thin and were barely holding onto the stone! Obviously, that ring should have received a new head!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/29/2005 8
6.gif
4:58 PM
Author: crankydave

It depends upon so many things in addition to diameter. The girdle, whether thin or thick. The way the seat or bearing was originally cut. The amount of prong tip left. The type of metal. The amount of dents/scratches that would need to be refinished.

I agree with Dave.

(You can close your jaw now Dave).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results