shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased Diamond Studs from Macy''s Due to Error in Price

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DON HULIO

Rough_Rock
On a whim I went into Macy''s to look at their fine jewelry. I''m well educated on diamonds so naturally I''m leary of department store diamonds. Anyway, Macy''s has these diamonds that it labels "Super Buys". The diamonds that I looked at, "Super Buys", were accompanied by an I.G.I. cartification. I am also aware of the I.G.I. certs not being viewed as well as AGS and GIA. Anyway, the salesperson told me that these diamonds were originally priced at $5200. They were discounted to $2599.99. The I.G.I. cert said that they were graded .5 carats each, 1 carat total, 18 Carat white gold baskets, E-F in color, SI2/I1 in clarity, good cut and good polish. The cert listed no depth and table %. Anyway, sitting on the counter was a sign that said, 40% off + additional 10% off on all diamond jewelry. In bold Red Letters it said "EXCLUDES SUPER BUYS". I knew that the final sales price was supposed to be $2599.99. This price is comparable to other mall jewelers, and even comparable to one of the local repuitable jewelers that I''ve recently visited. THe jewelers price was for G, SI1, however.
I knew that the further discounts did not apply, but the salesperson proceeded to give me 40% off plus the additional 10% off, bringing the pair to $1403 before tax. I could not believe it. I looked at the diamonds through my loupe...one looked like an SI2 in clarity, the other an I1. I had to take the certs word for it on the color, but they were definately very clear. The I1, I could only see one small inclusion with the naked eye face up, and I only saw it after looking at it through the loupe was I able to see without the loupe. The SI2 was completely eye clean table up, from the side view only one small inclusion was visible...it was like a small bubble. Anyway, I knew that the price was far lower than it sould have been even for a department store certed I.G.I. pair of studs.
The salesperson was so happy that she was going to make a sale for $1509 with tax that she said, this is only my first week and I''m happy to be your salesperson today. She had to have a woman come down from the upstairs corporate office to authorize the sale and she had to have another jewelry sales associate help her out to complete the sale. Not one of them realized that $1300 dollar error that the new salesperson was making. It is a question of ethics, but the made the error, so I just kind of went along with it. So I bought them for my wife for Christmas.
I went back a couple of days later to make a payment to my account and asked if I could exchange the studs that I bought for the other pair that they had, since I could locate the one small inclusion. There was a different salesperson this time. The sales slip said 30 days exchange or return. She asked for the slip and I gave it to her nad she said, you could not have possibly purchased the "Super Buys" since they are not included in this discount. I pulled out my studs and told her that the girl before had give me the discounts. She freaked out and told me that the girl had made a $1300.00 mistake that that she could only exchange them if I paid the difference in price. She was extremely upset and I did not want to draw attention to myself so I just made, my payment, decided that for $1300.00 extra I could live with the one small inclusion that I can only see if I hold the diamond directly up to my face, and got the heck out of there. The inclusion is also right next to one of the prongs and without knowing that it is there, I doubt that anyone will ever notice it unles I tell them where it is and have them stick they eye up to my wife''s ear. So, that''s my story...I would not usually buy diamonds from Macy''s, and I know that it can be viewed as unethical that I took advantage of the offer knowing that the salesperson made a $1300 mistake.
I searched pricescope prices and even the loose diamonds without the 18k baskets are arount $1000 to $1200 each for that color and clarity....so did I get a crazy deal, and did I get them below cost? It seems that I may have, but I would like some objective opinions. Also, they are very sparkly..good light return...not a lot of fire, but definately nice stones considering the color...clarity...and um..the price. Thanks.

Christa

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 12:40:22 AM
Author:DON HULIO
On a whim I went into Macy''s to look at their fine jewelry. I''m well educated on diamonds so naturally I''m leary of department store diamonds. Anyway, Macy''s has these diamonds that it labels ''Super Buys''. The diamonds that I looked at, ''Super Buys'', were accompanied by an I.G.I. cartification. I am also aware of the I.G.I. certs not being viewed as well as AGS and GIA. Anyway, the salesperson told me that these diamonds were originally priced at $5200. They were discounted to $2599.99. The I.G.I. cert said that they were graded .5 carats each, 1 carat total, 18 Carat white gold baskets, E-F in color, SI2/I1 in clarity, good cut and good polish. The cert listed no depth and table %. Anyway, sitting on the counter was a sign that said, 40% off + additional 10% off on all diamond jewelry. In bold Red Letters it said ''EXCLUDES SUPER BUYS''. I knew that the final sales price was supposed to be $2599.99. This price is comparable to other mall jewelers, and even comparable to one of the local repuitable jewelers that I''ve recently visited. THe jewelers price was for G, SI1, however.
I knew that the further discounts did not apply, but the salesperson proceeded to give me 40% off plus the additional 10% off, bringing the pair to $1403 before tax. I could not believe it. I looked at the diamonds through my loupe...one looked like an SI2 in clarity, the other an I1. I had to take the certs word for it on the color, but they were definately very clear. The I1, I could only see one small inclusion with the naked eye face up, and I only saw it after looking at it through the loupe was I able to see without the loupe. The SI2 was completely eye clean table up, from the side view only one small inclusion was visible...it was like a small bubble. Anyway, I knew that the price was far lower than it sould have been even for a department store certed I.G.I. pair of studs.
The salesperson was so happy that she was going to make a sale for $1509 with tax that she said, this is only my first week and I''m happy to be your salesperson today. She had to have a woman come down from the upstairs corporate office to authorize the sale and she had to have another jewelry sales associate help her out to complete the sale. Not one of them realized that $1300 dollar error that the new salesperson was making. It is a question of ethics, but the made the error, so I just kind of went along with it. So I bought them for my wife for Christmas.
I went back a couple of days later to make a payment to my account and asked if I could exchange the studs that I bought for the other pair that they had, since I could locate the one small inclusion. There was a different salesperson this time. The sales slip said 30 days exchange or return. She asked for the slip and I gave it to her nad she said, you could not have possibly purchased the ''Super Buys'' since they are not included in this discount. I pulled out my studs and told her that the girl before had give me the discounts. She freaked out and told me that the girl had made a $1300.00 mistake that that she could only exchange them if I paid the difference in price. She was extremely upset and I did not want to draw attention to myself so I just made, my payment, decided that for $1300.00 extra I could live with the one small inclusion that I can only see if I hold the diamond directly up to my face, and got the heck out of there. The inclusion is also right next to one of the prongs and without knowing that it is there, I doubt that anyone will ever notice it unles I tell them where it is and have them stick they eye up to my wife''s ear. So, that''s my story...I would not usually buy diamonds from Macy''s, and I know that it can be viewed as unethical that I took advantage of the offer knowing that the salesperson made a $1300 mistake.
I searched pricescope prices and even the loose diamonds without the 18k baskets are arount $1000 to $1200 each for that color and clarity....so did I get a crazy deal, and did I get them below cost? It seems that I may have, but I would like some objective opinions. Also, they are very sparkly..good light return...not a lot of fire, but definately nice stones considering the color...clarity...and um..the price. Thanks.
I can''t speak to whether this was an amazing price, but I certainly agree with the highlighted statement. There''s a good chance the salesperson lost her new job over this. At the very least she probably had to pay for her mistake out of her minimum wage salary. I''m not impressed.
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no words. This is soooooo wrong. You come here to brag about this??
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I know you are happy to get a great deal and all, but am soooo not too impressed that you seem to be proud of it knowing the "deal" was at the expense of possibly someone's job and the deaprtment store (which will indirectly cost all of us). Congrat on your new earrings (i guess), but please know that others WILL suffer from this incidence.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...this is an interesting ethical dilemma here. How many people will actually take that deal for what it was and not say anything? I do know someone who would definitely jump on a deal like that.

After working for quite a few years at a bank, I would never do something so unethical. This is because I have seen people fired over honest mistakes on their part, and the customer(s) involved never spoke up to point out the mistake.

Congrats on your new earrings. I''m not going to repeat what others have said on here, but keep in mind that karma sucks.

abbey

Rough_Rock
Just a lurker chiming in to say, "where is Kenny when you need him?"
23.gif

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I would not call it an ethical dilemma. It was simply a choice of benefiting oneself with total disregards to others getting hurt. I fear PS vendors will begin not wanting to do business with PS customers if they think the recent postings are representative of PS customer community......

Date: 9/28/2006 2:36:34 AM
Author: Cinderella
Hmm...this is an interesting ethical dilemma here.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 2:56:33 AM
Author: zhuzhu
I would not call it an ethical dilemma. It was simply a choice of benefiting oneself with total disregards to others getting hurt. I fear PS vendors will begin not wanting to do business with PS customers if they think the recent postings are representative of PS customer community......

Right you are zhuzhu, what happened was a selfish thing to do.

Whooops. That wasn't meant to be in bold. Can't get a hang of HTML here.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I wonder if this post was in response to the other thread. In order to make people see the vendor''s side of things in a round-about way.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is happening to the ethics of this country?
38.gif

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
OK he stated that in his post it was her first week. Not only that but he knew that. Working in retail I will say this, she most likely not be fired she will probably be tested on policies and procedures but probably not fired. She didnt know any better buy you did and thats kinda a shame.

DON HULIO

Rough_Rock
I''m sorry, I did not post this to Brag, and trust me I felt plenty bad about it...but there was an offer made...and the two others...the executive from the corporate office and the third person another jewelry sales associate that did nothing...also, if I had not known what was going on and bought the diamonds...the outcome would have been the same. What if I found out after the fact...should I have gone back and said...Oh I''m sorry, that was your mistake...here let me give you another $1300.00. If others of you were in the same situation I doubt that you would either. Like I said before, an offer was made, I accepted, that is all. I don''t think that I''m selfish...I think that an opportunity presented itself and that I took it. Anyway, I did not mean to stir the pot by posting this message, but it just happened to me and I also did not mean to upset anyone on PS. I doubt that susch a thing will ever happen to me again. Also, if the salesperson simply read the sign that said "Excludes Super Buys" then she would have known that it was a mistake. Anyway, have a nice day.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99%; HEIGHT: 219px">Date: 9/28/2006 8:59:02 AM
Author: DON HULIO
I''m sorry, I did not post this to Brag, and trust me I felt plenty bad about it...but there was an offer made...and the two others...the executive from the corporate office and the third person another jewelry sales associate that did nothing...also, if I had not known what was going on and bought the diamonds...the outcome would have been the same. What if I found out after the fact...should I have gone back and said...Oh I''m sorry, that was your mistake...here let me give you another $1300.00. If others of you were in the same situation I doubt that you would either. Like I said before, an offer was made, I accepted, that is all. I don''t think that I''m selfish...I think that an opportunity presented itself and that I took it. Anyway, I did not mean to stir the pot by posting this message, but it just happened to me and I also did not mean to upset anyone on PS. I doubt that susch a thing will ever happen to me again. Also, if the salesperson simply read the sign that said ''Excludes Super Buys'' then she would have known that it was a mistake. Anyway, have a nice day.
Well that speaks for itself I think. But for the most part I would have to agree I probably would not go back and say yeah here is $1300 for your mistake, BUT if I had known that she was making a mistake while she was ringing it up thats different, you should have spoken up.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
At the Macy''s where I shop, which is in little ''ol podunk Portland Maine, the sales clerks do not "apply" discounts. Everything is barcoded and computerized. The clerk scans, the computerized register states the amount. They sell plenty of things that cost more than those earrings (rugs and watches come to mind) without ever having to get someone "from corporate" to authorize the sale.

Having a hard time believing this one...

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
If you knew that the earrings shouldn''t have been part of the sale or extra discounts at the time of purchase, that''s ethically wrong. If you didn''t know and you found out when you went to pay the bill, then I would say it''s Macy''s fault (since the new rep did represent them). However, I would feel like scum that someone was possibly penalize for an honest mistake and would take them back. I need to feel GOOD about my purchases, big or small.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clearly this does not bother you. . .today.

Someday, it may.
At any time in the future, even years into to future, you can make this right by returning the earrings.

Over a lifetime we change.
Honestly, I think many years ago I would have kept them too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 9:13:35 AM
Author: Maria D
At the Macy''s where I shop, which is in little ''ol podunk Portland Maine, the sales clerks do not ''apply'' discounts. Everything is barcoded and computerized. The clerk scans, the computerized register states the amount. They sell plenty of things that cost more than those earrings (rugs and watches come to mind) without ever having to get someone ''from corporate'' to authorize the sale.

Having a hard time believing this one...

that how it works at my macy''s too.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 5:34:55 AM
Author: Larissa
I wonder if this post was in response to the other thread. In order to make people see the vendor''s side of things in a round-about way.

Maybe it was, because it sure sounds like a tall tale to me. But I think it''s different than Gutman''s situation by a long shot. First of all, this guy knew before the sales clerk had even finished the transaction that she was making a mistake. Gutman didn''t know at all until 2 weeks after picking up his ring, and had already proposed, having no idea that any mistake had been made. Secondly, this gift had not even left the store. It had not been already given. His intention from the get-go was to rip the store off for $1300.

I''m not buying this story at all. I think there''s a troll under this bridge.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 10:33:31 AM
Author: lumpkin
Date: 9/28/2006 5:34:55 AM

Author: Larissa

Maybe it was, because it sure sounds like a tall tale to me. But I think it''s different than Gutman''s situation by a long shot. First of all, this guy knew before the sales clerk had even finished the transaction that she was making a mistake. Gutman didn''t know at all until 2 weeks after picking up his ring, and had already proposed, having no idea that any mistake had been made. Secondly, this gift had not even left the store. It had not been already given. His intention from the get-go was to rip the store off for $1300.

I''m not buying this story at all. I think there''s a troll under this bridge.

I purposely kept my answer short and didn''t voice my opinion in relation to the other thread. I don''t care how it''s different from the other situation.

The price and the fact that both were a vendor''s mistake stuck something with me that made me think that may be what this poster was attempting to get at. My post was not a judgement call on either party.

sistagrl2004

Shiny_Rock
Well call my cynical, but after a while I began to think the other poster was a "discussion starter" as well. He had never posted before, registered to post AFTER the fact, not while researching diamonds or anything.. why would you do that, and did not post a picture of the ring after all of that. It was an interesting discussion and got people thinking, but I felt kind of "duped"

gunsuka

Rough_Rock
Trade
I was at the postoffice a couple of months ago sending a package.

As I quickly counted my change (as he handed it to me) I thought something was wrong. I was either short changed, or had too much... after a quick calculation I found the error was his. He had given me $1.00 too much change.

I handed him the dollar.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Not to be an extremist here - but right is right and wrong is wrong.

Taking advantage of a new salesperson that makes a mistake is wrong. Particularly when that mistake is a $1300.00 mistake.

Were I in your situation, I don''t think I could have lived with myself knowing I made the mistake. and I certainly wouldn''t have been brazen enough to try to return the stolen earrings and get a nicer pair.

Because really...you can call it an ethical dilemna...but it was theft.

~*Alexis*~

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 11:11:37 AM
Author: littlelysser
Not to be an extremist here - but right is right and wrong is wrong.

Taking advantage of a new salesperson that makes a mistake is wrong. Particularly when that mistake is a $1300.00 mistake.

Were I in your situation, I don''t think I could have lived with myself knowing I made the mistake. and I certainly wouldn''t have been brazen enough to try to return the stolen earrings and get a nicer pair.

Because really...you can call it an ethical dilemna...but it was theft.
Totally agree. That was a bold faced move. I don''t agree that once you got back to the store to upgrade them that you would just take them and leave the store. Thats not right. Sorry.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 10:40:50 AM
Author: sistagrl2004
Well call my cynical, but after a while I began to think the other poster was a ''discussion starter'' as well. He had never posted before, registered to post AFTER the fact, not while researching diamonds or anything.. why would you do that, and did not post a picture of the ring after all of that. It was an interesting discussion and got people thinking, but I felt kind of ''duped''
$1300 is a recurring theme...

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Stealing, plain & simple.

If you know there is an error, it''s your responsibility to correct it. What on earth are we teaching our kids? It''s ok to steal if no one catches it? Thanks but no thanks.

Jeannine

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Many aspects of this story are unimpressive, in a number of ways.

One thing about Macy''s jewelry: it is a rented space. Macy''s is not in the fine jewelry biz, that particular department is a concession, or a "store within a store". They messed up, and it''s bad, but lower quality half carats are not very expensive anyhow so the vendor didn''t lose that much. I imagine their cost on those earrings was very low.

Doesn''t justify anything, I''m just pointing it out to somewhat mitigate the loss element.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just my opinion. I think he made up the story.
14.gif

Linda

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
DH, I'd personally love to see pictures of your wife's new earrings! Are they sparkly?

I think it's kind of odd that you were buying $2500 earrings from Macys, as a Pricescoper, knowing that you could get them for a comparable price elsewhere for much better quality. I would NEVER buy fine diamonds from Macys...their stuff is not wonderful at all. Especially knowing that I can get a pair of 1ctw G SI's from a PS vendor for basically that same price...and get H&A cut diamonds for that same price, probably in cool 3 prong martinis. Even if I wanted to shop local I would still go to a reputable jeweler where I had some idea of cut (not just 'good') and pay the $2500 there. Not to Macys!

I also think it's hilarious that the store says they were 'marked down' from $5200 for a 1ctw pair of earrings. Now THAT is highway robbery!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results