shape
carat
color
clarity

Purchased D color center, ok to mail stone to set? what color stones on side?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TNM5

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
I have been using this forum as a great resource in my purchase and have purchased a 2.55 ct D vs2 antique style cushion from Mark T at ERD. I am debating where to send the stone to have the setting done. I might use Mark or Maytal.

My questions are, How comfortable are people sending their stones anywhere to be set?

Also with a D color center stone, should G color side stones on a small halo and on the band be even considered? I think they should be E-F, but Im not sure what everyone''s experience here is...

Thanks!

dockman3

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there! As for your first question, I''ve never mailed my stones anywhere, but I know plenty of people here have, so hopefully they will be by to tell you all about that.

As for the second question, I have a D center stone and E-F sides and I love it! That doesn''t mean that G will be noticeable, but that is a question you might have to answer for yourself. Some people have a really hard time telling the difference between a D and a G while others can tell it easily. You might want to head over to your local jeweler and put your stone next to some G''s and E-F''s and see which you like better. Good luck with your setting and come back with pictures!

stone_seeker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/6/2008 8:58:11 AM
Author:TNM5
Hey guys,
I have been using this forum as a great resource in my purchase and have purchased a 2.55 ct D vs2 antique style cushion from Mark T at ERD. I am debating where to send the stone to have the setting done. I might use Mark or Maytal.

My questions are, How comfortable are people sending their stones anywhere to be set?

Also with a D color center stone, should G color side stones on a small halo and on the band be even considered? I think they should be E-F, but Im not sure what everyone''s experience here is...

Thanks!

Most jewelers keep side stones the exact same color. Since all D''s can get expensive I wouldnt think of going below an F but thats just me. You wouldnt want to see color differences in the stones side by side.

Mark''s cushion setter Theodore is really good so using him shouldnt be an issue. I like keeping everything in one place so I have one point of contact at all times for service related issues.

TNM5

Rough_Rock
I met theodore as well, and seems to know what he is doing. I am a little concerned I am overpaying here in nyc, even though I am asking for a pretty detailed setting that would require all hand work and no casting. That is why I am considering going elsewhere and debating going with someone like Maytal that others have used here. I would just like to hear some of their experiences on how it was handled.

As far as the color goes, I tend to agree with the responses that I should keep it to no lower than F color. I do tend to see the difference in color, especially with a G color stone, so I need to keep it within D-F. I wonder however, if using all F''s would still work well next to a D center, and would love to hear other people''s experience as well.

Thanks!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Since you sprung for the D center, I'd go with Fs, not Gs for the halo...e/t it would probably be fine with the G...As for the setting, since you got it from Mark, I'd have him set it...I think his settings are really lovely and well made....also, what if something happens when the stone is being set by someone else? They won't do anything for you if the stone is injured, I'm sure the same thing can't be said if you buy and set with the same person...best of luck..

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve mailed my stones out before. The best, safest, and cheapest way is to use USPS registered insured mail. It''s slow, but it''s under lock and key the entire time and very inexpensive.

Either maytal or Mark would be fabulous for a cushion setting. I would trust either completely to make a lovely design. I would gather quotes from both and see who is less expensive and see who you get a better vibe from in terms of working with that person.

As far as sidestones go, I think anything between D-G would be fine. It''s hard to notice a difference between a center stone and small sides or melee.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results