shape
carat
color
clarity

Pros/Cons of Cathedral Settings??

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I am considering a cathedral setting for a 2+ carat round brilliant. I've heard good and bad things about this type of setting. What do you guys think? I've heard the diamond will sit lower. I've heard it will sit higher. I've heard the shoulders snag hair, clothing, etc. I've heard they are better suited for smaller diamonds. I've heard they are harder to keep clean. I've heard they affect the brilliance. ?????

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them, I had an antique cathedral solitaire for an 8 mm stone and I didn't have any problems. Mine was set pretty low, but I've seen higher ones as well. As for cleaning, do you mean accessing the diamond for cleaning? I never had a problem cleaning my diamond but I guess it depends on the style of the setting. Do you have a particular one in mind?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I don't have a particular one in mind right now. I was told there would be more crevices to keep clean, and that the diamond would be harder to access to clean.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422485879|3823465 said:
I wonder why some would sit high and some would sit low?

I have two cathedral set rings.
My pear sits high while my CBI sits low.
Both are easy to clean (the key is to have the pavilion accessible).
The culet shows in both.

Rarely get anything caught in either, but do have trouble getting gloves on to wash dishes over my pear (which I've had since 1996).

The pear sits up rather high due to the style of peg-head used:

My CBI diamond in a Vatche setting sits rather low:

I like them both for different reasons.

p6050063.jpg

smx_profile_2014-12-09_5.jpg

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sharing pics. Yes, I agree the shoulders should not block the pavilion. Otherwise, that would be more challenging to clean. Both of your rings are stunning! Is one your original?

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422485879|3823465 said:
I wonder why some would sit high and some would sit low?

I don't think there's a specific reason, it's just how the different settings are designed. I never had an issue with keeping the setting clean.I just used jewelry cleaner and a toothbrush and cleaned it often. And I don't think a cathedral would snag any more than any other kind of setting. I've never heard of a cathedral setting affecting brilliance either.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Guilty. LOL. Unfortunately, I overthink everything. This will be my first e-ring, so I'm a bit nervous about the whole experience. My diamond is beautiful so I want to do it justice. I wanted something unique yet practical. I'm having a tough time finding that.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do think you are over-thinking it. I prefer cathedral solitaires aesthetically. I have a cathedral halo. Mine is easy to clean.

But the quality of the setting itself is what matters not so much the design of cathedral or not.

You can get a great quality safe and sturdy solitaire with or without cathedral.

You should go what you prefer aesthetically.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422489285|3823500 said:
Guilty. LOL. Unfortunately, I overthink everything. This will be my first e-ring, so I'm a bit nervous about the whole experience. My diamond is beautiful so I want to do it justice. I wanted something unique yet practical. I'm having a tough time finding that.

I edited my post because I thought my comment came out a bit snarky! but yeah, I just really haven't heard or experienced any of the concerns or issues you're worried about. Maybe others will have different experiences. I think you should just go with the style you like best! I know it's an important decision and that you want to make sure it's the right one!

kelmel

Rough_Rock
Gypsy,
You are right! :) I do agree, the quality is very important.

junebug17,
No worries! I am a type A personality. I overthink everything. :)

Thank you both for your input.

kelmel

Rough_Rock
I think one of the reasons I overthink this is because rings often take on a different appearance after they are set with the diamond. In other words, how you thought it would look is not how it turns out.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422488740|3823493 said:
Thanks for sharing pics. Yes, I agree the shoulders should not block the pavilion. Otherwise, that would be more challenging to clean. Both of your rings are stunning! Is one your original?

Yes, the pear is my original ering. I recently bought the CBI as a RHR (Right hand ring )

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422490130|3823510 said:
I think one of the reasons I overthink this is because rings often take on a different appearance after they are set with the diamond. In other words, how you thought it would look is not how it turns out.

I know, there are a lot of options out there - It can be nerve-wracking trying to pick the right one lol! Did you decide not to go with the settings in your other thread?

kelmel

Rough_Rock
junebug17,

I am going tomorrow to look at one more option. It happens to be a cathedral with round channel set diamonds. It has a matching band. The diamond is still set in the setting in my thread (the one I'm worried sits up too high). I think it may sit up higher than your pear. My 60 days runs out Sun. so that is one reason for all my questions. Nerve racking is exactly right!!!! I realize that people do update settings, but I'm sentimental and would prefer not to do that. However, I've learned to never say never! I wouldn't update my diamond though. It took us about 6 months to find "him". :)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422491939|3823536 said:
junebug17,

I am going tomorrow to look at one more option. It happens to be a cathedral with round channel set diamonds. It has a matching band. The diamond is still set in the setting in my thread (the one I'm worried sits up too high). I think it may sit up higher than your pear. My 60 days runs out Sun. so that is one reason for all my questions. Nerve racking is exactly right!!!! I realize that people do update settings, but I'm sentimental and would prefer not to do that. However, I've learned to never say never! I wouldn't update my diamond though. It took us about 6 months to find "him". :)

Ah ok, I gotcha! The cathedral sounds pretty! Snap us a pic if you can!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kelmel|1422490130|3823510 said:

I am editing my post because I have now read a couple of your threads and understand the situation. I replied in another thread that I think you need to return the current set, have the diamond set in a simple inexpensive solitaire, and give yourself more time to find something you love. I think you are feeling pressured to decide because of your return period, but I would just return and take your time looking!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results