shape
carat
color
clarity

Proposing soon, know basics, but need additional advice!!

tonynoob

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,
Totally new to the site, but have been exploring around. I am looking to propose within the month. I have done some basic research, and also briefly looked through the knowledge section. I think from the basics I am looking to spend around 15k for everything out the door.

General specs...but open to changes

shape: cushion
color: F+
clarity: VSI2+
carat ~= 1.5
cut: very good+

Must be verified by: GIA, anyone else?

What are some of the more advanced metrics I should be looking into when purchasing a diamond.

I am not looking for name brand, so either online (which I'm a little worried about not being able to see the diamond first) or going to a local jeweler.

+ Any recommended sites? White flash seems to be a favorite.
+ Should I always get independent appraisals afterwards? Is that even worth my time if purchasing from a reputable store?
+ Should I buy a loose gem and get the setting afterwards? vs buying directly from the site

Local Jeweler
+ any advice here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Proposing soon, know basics, but need additional advice!

what type of cushion are you looking for? this video may help, as cushions can have a variety of apperances (vintage/antique style, modern, crushed ice...)

this video may help
http://vimeo.com/7579666

tonynoob

Rough_Rock

thanks for the video, i'll definitely check it out.

I'm going to go ring shopping this friday, and I'm mainly looking to know how else to judge a diamond. There's proportions, table size, and a bunch of other stuff that I'm not too familiar with. What are some numbers I should be looking for?

slg47

Ideal_Rock

with cushions it is not as easy to shop by the numbers. i would try to look for one that is appealing to your eye and look at the diamonds in different lighting conditions

tonynoob

Rough_Rock

Man that video was very informative. The August Vintage collection is really nice. I think I would like to go with a vintage look, do you guys know if there are other similar vintages similar to the August Vintage? Sounds like James Allen is also a good site to look at.

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock

Mark at Engagement Rings Direct and Perry from The Art of Platinum (Leon Mege) also source antique looking cushions, although they are not cut with the exact precision as the AVC. They are very beautiful though.

I think you will be hard pressed to find a vintage cushion at a regular BM store though, but it will give you a good opportunity to decide whether you like more square cushions or more rectangular cushions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Totally agree with the above posts. You NEED to go with someone experienced in picking out cushions because it is unlikely to find good ones, if any, at local jewelers, especially if you are looking for well cut vintage style cushions. My favorites are August Vintage, but I would try Mark and Engagement Rings Direct or Perry at Leon Mege (Art of Platinum) next.

SilverFire

Rough_Rock

I would definitely recommend the August Vintage Cushions from Good Old Gold. I'm a most definitely a round fan, but I even considered these cushions. There's an abundance of video's on August Vintages, so you can see if you like them. :) In my experience too, Good Old Gold has been nothing but helpful, caring, and accommodating! They have great customer service, and the best of the best when it comes to diamonds. I would definitely recommend checking them out! :)

Luckycharms

Rough_Rock

I was in a similar boat when I started off...

For your parameters, you have F+ and IMO, there's no need to go any higher than F. I would be looking at G/F. That will be plenty white and anything higher you are paying for the rareness imo.

VS2+, same idea...I wanted a VS2 originally until I saw that eye-clean SI1s were fine. Unless you and your fiance are carrying around a 10x loupe around, you won't appreciate the clarity difference. VS2 to me, was more just because I could say it was VS2...when in reality, everyone will just notice the overall effect of the ring, and not ask you how much it cost, the different parameters, etc, and your gf certainly wouldn't care...

Both color and clarity are ones that I wouldn't pay a premium over the G/F color and SI1/VS2 parameter, since anything higher, you won't be able to appreciate the difference.

Cut on the other hand, you have VG. I personally can notice at least the Symmetry difference between a very well cut diamond and a very good cut diamond...polish, not so much. I would spend more money on the cut area to ensure the diamond will be brillant in the majority of light conditions.

tonynoob

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the great feedback, I went to a copule of local jewelers in the area. here are the best offers I got for the two places I went to.

Cushion Brilliant
1.52 F VS1 Ex Polish VG Symmetry $13700 out the door
7.13 x 6.57 x 4.47...56% table, 68% depth

1.73 G VS1 VG Polish VG Symmetry, $9375
7.03 x 7.01 x 4.71...55% table, 67.2% depth no fluorescence

The reason why the 2nd one is so much cheaper is because I'm getting a good deal through a friend. The 2nd diamond is actually really clean even under the lupe. The symmetry is okay IMO, but that's only when you're looking under the lupe.

I'm a little torn because I really like the look of the august vintage, I wish I could compare them side by side to really tell the difference.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

do you have any images?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock

tonynoob|1299982845|2870498 said:
Thanks for the great feedback, I went to a copule of local jewelers in the area. here are the best offers I got for the two places I went to.

Cushion Brilliant

The reason why the 2nd one is so much cheaper is because I'm getting a good deal through a friend. The 2nd diamond is actually really clean even under the lupe. The symmetry is okay IMO, but that's only when you're looking under the lupe.

I'm a little torn because I really like the look of the august vintage, I wish I could compare them side by side to really tell the difference.

Are the ones above from local jewelers GIA certified?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ditto - we can't give you any truly useful feedback without a lot more info - scans, pics, dimensions, and has an authority (GIA, etc) evaluated these stones?

tonynoob said:

Cushion Brilliant

The reality is unless your friend is a *very, very* good friend with uniquely altruistic tendencies, all jewellers - like all other vendors of goods - are in the business to make a profit on these tangible luxury goods, and make a profit they will - think about it, if he's giving all his friends fabulous deals his shop isn't going to last long! And if there's a disagreement, negotiations between friends in my experience can turn especially sour.. Just educate yourself, prepare to pay for what you want without counting on some discount, and recognise that no matter who you are, unless you're famous or family, the likelihood of getting a "good deal" on the primary market is slim to none - you're almost always getting exactly what you pay for. Which is a good thing.

Talk to GOG about the possibility of buying an AVC for comparison purpose, if you can't make a trip down?

SilverFire

Rough_Rock

I agree with Yssie on both points. If nothing else you won't be sorry you at least talked to Jonathan about the August Vintage Cushions. If you can't make the trip, you can email or call them. You'll gain a lot of information and knowledge from talking to him. He's very obliging and knows his stuff. AVCs are beautiful diamonds. If you want to see a side by side comparison of regular cushions and GOG's AVCs I'm sure they'll be happy to make a video for you if they don't already have a video that already has that comparison. You can't go wrong with Good Old Gold.

SilverFire

Rough_Rock

These videos might help you out. The first video doesn't compare modern cushions to AVCs but it does compare regular vintage cuts to the AVCs. For reference (just in case you can't tell, Jonathan does not name the cuts in this video) the second and fourth diamonds are AVCs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqztk6DMZCU

This video does compare modern cuts vs. vintage cuts vs. AVCs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiTL30UysoI. This is a great video showing the beauty of the AVCs. Keep in mind that AVCs are very consistent in their optics and regular cushions are not.

You may want to consider the Hearts and Arrows cushions that Good Old Gold offers too. They are very nice modern faceted cushions. Here's a link to a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkk79n7_Ic4 These are also gorgeous diamonds!

tonynoob

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the feedback. The jeweler is a good friend of my friend. It sounds like they trade favors often. So I don't doubt that I'm getting it close to their margins. I'm sure they're still making a profit. But I asked for where it was verified and they said it was EGL...bleh.

I think i'm going to try calling GOG.. I'll let you guys know what I find. THanks!

tonynoob

Rough_Rock

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post the result. I ended up not being able to get a GOG AVC diamond, so I had to settle for a vintage cushion which I still do love. It's a bit smaller than what I had previously would like, but I guess more room for upgrade in the future. My fiance still loves it either way :)

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8189/

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks like a lovely stone, AVC or not :sun:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results