shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess F VS1 - Feather concern (help please!)

HersheyC

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I have found a diamond which has decent specs but has a feather on one corner. I was wondering if this will create issues down the road with chips or damage? I have attached extracts from the certification that illustrate the feather.

From reading previous posts it seems people have mixed views on feathers in general, my concern is really the location of the feather as the corner is going to be most vulnerable on a princess cut.

Appreciate your help!

ags.png

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is wise to be cautious about feathers in the corners of princess cuts. Because it is a VS1 my guess is that it is really small - less significant in reality that it appears on the plot. The biggest risk is in setting. Pressure has to be placed on the point in order to set it securely. If there is going to be a problem, it is most likely to happen at the time of setting. So, if you are having it mounted where you are buying the diamond, the merchant will likely be assuming that risk.

Once it is set, you should have no problem with normal wear. In general it is a good idea to maintain an all risk insurance policy for peace of mind, especially with princess cuts, and in particular with ones that have feathers in corners.

HersheyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, that's really helpful.

The girdle seems to be on the thicker side so maybe that will add a bit of extra protection.

The diamond is an AGS000, it is a DQD style report so I am unable to see the ASET but in the absence of this information and assuming it checks out with a positive visual inspection, do you think it is a good buy at under $6,000?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Possibly. Alot depends on the overall value proposition of the purchase- return policy, buyback, trade-up, service policies, design options with the seller for the finished piece, etc.

I would highly recommend that you consult a qualified, independent appraiser before your are locked in.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results