shape
carat
color
clarity

PRINCESS CUT - What is my priority?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

marlejh

Rough_Rock
I am in the market for a princess cut under $4000 - 1.0 or larger. i have looked at hundreds of stones and bottom line -

i can focus on VERY GOOD cut and excellent or very good symmetry/polish with the proper depth and table and L/W ratio, but i will be left with an I or more likely a J SI 1 or SI2.

would i be smarter to go with a higher color/clarity stone and sacrifice in another area to get the highest quality stone possible? i can''t figure out what is more important! i had a jeweler tell me that good cut, polish symmetry means you can drop to an I or J in color and not sacrifice appearance. is this true?

any advice is appreciated, i feel lost.
marle

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
From what I understand, princess cuts are less forgiving in terms of color, even when you get one with an excellent cut.

I suggest no lower than an H for a princess; you may need to determine if your gf has a particularly discerning eye regarding color; if so, you will probably want to stay at an F or G.

Because the princess is not as brilliant as the RB, it is less efficient at masking the color tint.

However, you can always go as low in clarity as your eye can tell the difference, and then get the best you can afford in the other areas.
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
People will say "you should stay above and/or you can drop down to x color and y clarity" but only YOU know your tolerance & preference for each. Did your jeweler show you I/J stones? What did you think?

I, personally, luv well-cut I/Js above all others (i have a J princess e-ring) - they go better w my skin tone than icy whites & they're more appealing to my eye... but only you can say what will float your boat
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
My princess is an I/SI1, and everyone thinks it's a D-F. It seems my stone is the exception (it's over 3 cts and therefore supposedly shows more color), but I have yet to have anyone guess my stone is lower than a G in color (and these are people who own 3+ carat round stones in the colorless range). In other words, when the cut is amazing, you really can go lower in the other C's.

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Funny, researcher just chimed in when i was looking for the link to HER E-RING
1.gif
can you believe it's an I??
2.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
For $4K, i found this 1.04 H VS1 w/out giving up size, color, clarity, etc...
21.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think your first step should be to go look at some colors. See a G, and H, and I, etc in ALL different kinds of lighting....I personally think you should focus on a .85 - .9 princess with a really good depth to maximize size - so you can get the LOOK of a 1 carat without paying for it!
2.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
If you do as MMM suggested (stay just under the 1 ct mark), you're talkin colorless (if that's your pref) stones
1.gif
there's this $3639 .93 F SI1 and this (tho slightly deep) $3778 .94 F VS2

Also, there's this one but i don't know if it's eye-clean w the black spot in the table - $3765 .97 F SI2.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results