shape
carat
color
clarity

Princess cut help??!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lugerxu

Rough_Rock
This board is great! Thanks for everyone''s opinions, help, & input. I had a quick question in regards to princess cut diamonds. For the best possible scenario without looking at the diamond, do you normally want the table to be less than the depth? If so, what''s ideal? What if they''re about the same? I guess what I''m trying to ask is: if the table is more than the depth, how does this affect the brilliance and vice versa.

Thanks!

Alex

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Having table more than depth does not mean the stone will be a dud. If it's WAY more, chances are it may be a flat stone with poor crown height. A 72.9 depth 68 table stone I was interested in had a crown height of about 8.2. YIKES! I'm not sure there is any way to tell. It certainly doesn't hurt, however, to narrow the field that way when you are looking online and can't know any more about the stone, u dig?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
You also need to keep in mind that diamonds are cut to certain proportions to bring out the most beauty possible, and that certain combinations produce the best results. While the depth/table ratio does affect the crown of the stone (fire) as MMM stated, it also affects a lot more. Here's a great link by White Flash that should provide you with a little insight into the importance of proportions:

White Flash Princess Guide

BTW, a stone with a table 3-5% smaller than the depth or at least equal to the depth has the best chance of having the proper angles on the crown and pavilion! There are always exceptions to the rule, but buying a stone sight-unseen makes it difficult to judge whether you're finding an exception or buying a dud!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results