shape
carat
color
clarity

Premature question about price...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
So this question is premature because I don''t have all of the information at the moment, I was just talking with someone about my purchase and got to wondering...

Essentially I went through a B&M store. The setting that we picked out was a .5 carat setting; they said they might be able to get something as large as .6 to fit into it because of the way it was designed. That''s fine by me; my price range was about 3k. Although this seem small in comparison to what some people on forums have suggested/own, this is fine by me. I''m not going to argue the size game with people, I''d rather put a down payment on a house for us than get an xb0x heug rock.

So back to the story. I went back to get the ring, and asked to see the stones they have to fit in it. They brought out several half carat stones. I looked through some of them, and she mentions that one doesn''t have a cert since it wasn''t written on the front of the card. She said she could do a discount on it; it was marked 2800 and she said she''d be able to do 2000. I looked at some of the others and then asked to see some of the other off size stones they might have. When she went off, I took a look at the one that had no cert. She said they removed it froma necklace since the lady already had a stone she wanted in it. Inside it was a piece of paper with a seal, so I point it out to her when she gets back, and she pulls it out. It''s an EGL cert, and she couldn''t go back on her word, so I decided to take that stone since I felt better that it had a cert.

Now here''s my question. I know it''s probably very very hard to make a comment since I don''t have the full report on me (I pick it up in a week); I''m going to call tomorrow and get as much info as possible so I can post some more info, but I''m impatient so I''ll see if anyone has an opinion here.

The stone was a .5 carat, G color, round, VS2. When I look into a microscope (which makes me feel really silly since if I can''t see it, it shouldn''t bother me), it''s got one white nike symbol on a corner; the lady had to look at 20x before she found it and she let me look at it on 20x.

Essentially it comes down to "did I get a good deal". I look up some stuff on bluenile and such, and I see their stones with these basic stats come up for like 1200-1700 dollars.

Like I said, at the moment I don''t have the table and the rest of that info, but I''m going to call first thing tomorrow to get that informaiton and run it through this calculator that''s here. The setting we picked out is a white gold setting.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
It is so hard to say without the numbers. And we can't see the diamond like you were able to!

Obviously, you made the choice to work with a local jeweler, which is great. According to a search I conducted here, your numbers seem to be accurate as far as pricing online with a couple of good vendors. That being said, paying a little more may not be a bad thing given you had the experience to check it out locally on your own. However, if the diamond is an average or poor cut, you may have paid too much. Is this a done deal, or do you have the option of returning or not purchasing the diamond?

Good luck with this situation
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
shadowrulez,
is this a EGL usa cert? i purchased a .73 ct g vs2 with an EGL usa cert 4 months ago. which they called ideal cut. i paid $1900 for the stone. now keep in mind what EGL calls ideal cut. it's different from a AGS ideal cut.

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
wonka27 - I have 30 days to return it and I will just be out the sizing (although we will probably keep the setting at the very least) and the setting of the stone. This place also has a 5 year warranty against stone loss if it comes out of the ring since they set it.

vtigger86 - I will ask tomorrow when I call, I did not realize there was a difference between EGL-USA and EGL. I hope it's the EGL-USA since I can get the reports online from their website.

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
Well that didn't go so well. The report number they gave me over the phone doesn't seem to be in the EGL database when I try to look it up. I guess I'll wait until I can go in in person on Saturday so I can see it myself. The bad thing is having to wait until Saturday to get the information since I live 2 hours away from the place. I still have the 30 days for returns, I'm just an impatient person so it's going to bother me until I take care of it.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If the number isn't in the EGL USA database, it's likely an EGL European stone.

The potential downside to that is it may be overgraded.

If you like the stone, take it to an independent appraiser and have them give you the low-down on it to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.

If you aren't horribly attached to the stone, then perhaps a return might be the best thing.

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
Well, I got a response back from EGL-USA customer service. Turns out the cert number was issued before April of 2001. Is this normal for stores to have stones that are almost four years old still around? Now I'm worried that since other people didn't want it, I shouldn't want it either. Do stones float from store to store to store? I'm not quite sure what the typical turn around time is for a stone from cert to sale.

I should be able to get a copy of the full cert on Saturday. I know the mini-cert is there; they should have a full cert or be able to get me a copy of it as well, correct?

alexah - Thank you for the input. Seems that hopefully I didn't pay too much; I'm still leary of ordering online at this point.

aljdewey - I found out that it's an older EGL-USA cert. I'll have to think about taking it in to have someone else take a look at it.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I wouldn't be worried about the date of the cert.
- The store told you they removed it from a customers' necklace
- You looked it over with a x20 mag and found it attractive.

I second the recommendation to send it to an independent appriaser. It's a small investment to:
- uncover a problem that justifies a return
angryfire.gif

- if you keep it, you have your appraisal for insurance
saint.gif

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
Ricardo07 - They removed it from a necklace they were selling, not a previously owned necklace. They also said they would give me an appraisal when I picked it up. Will I need a seperate appraisal for insurance purposes?

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Cranky,
I'm not in the business. Alexha must be right that the appraisal from the B&M will suffice for insurance.

I'd recommend an independent appraisal for your peace of mind on a very expensive purchase. The B&M has a conflict of interest when giving an appraisal on their ring. It's like when buying a used car, everyone tells you to have your local mechanic inspect the car for hidden problems.

Diamond Angel

Rough_Rock
wow...interesting...i actually feel better about internet deals. maybe i am jaded (too many corner jewelry store crooks in my past) but i prefer to shop here.

ShadowRuleZ

Rough_Rock
I apoligize for the bad pics, but I'm not quite sure how to photograph this. Appraisal came in at 500 more than what I paid (3100). All they had was the mini-cert, not the full cert. I will call sometime this week and try to get the full information from EGL USA. I probably won't return it since I think I'm happy with it.

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

On another note, I learned that diamonds that are old are usually sent back for a recert so they have a newer date on them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results