shape
carat
color
clarity

pre-owned diamonds

Katba1ou

Rough_Rock
Hi all

I am looking into buying a pre-owned diamond as I don't have the budget to buy brand new one of the size and clarity I am looking for.

I just dont know where to start. First things first I like in the UK and diamonds are not as bigger deal over here.

I am more than happy to look online and potentially purchase for the right one.

The stats I am looking for in a diamond are - Round Brilliant, triple Ex, at least 1ct, G colour or better, SI1 clarity or better but has to be eye clean with no florescence. Im still a little unsure of the other stats as I still have to learn re: dimensions but any advice would be must appreciated. budget $7000-$8000

am i likely to find what im looking for??

thanks,

Katie

proto

Shiny_Rock
I am from the UK so I may be able to add some value here.

You will be able to find nice brand new 1 carat G SI1 diamonds for that budget.

Keep in mind that you will pay 20% VAT import duty when they arrive at customs. This is refundable through HMRC if you decide to return it. Also keep in mind they always Fedex the diamond, and you pay Fedex a 2.5% handling fee on your VAT.

If you buy a diamond on a setting, or the setting alone, you will pay 2.5% import duty on top of 20% VAT. The import duty is not refundable as far as I know, but i did not research this deeply. Again, keep in mind the 2.5% fee from fedex on the tax element.

So. does this 7-8k USD figure include or exclude the taxes you will need to pay?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your budget can also be helped by looking at diamonds just under 1ct.
Good Luck!

Katba1ou

Rough_Rock
proto|1401656832|3684537 said:

Keep in mind that you will pay 20% VAT import duty when they arrive at customs. This is refundable through HMRC if you decide to return it. Also keep in mind they always Fedex the diamond, and you pay Fedex a 2.5% handling fee on your VAT.

If you buy a diamond on a setting, or the setting alone, you will pay 2.5% import duty on top of 20% VAT. The import duty is not refundable as far as I know, but i did not research this deeply. Again, keep in mind the 2.5% fee from fedex on the tax element.

So. does this 7-8k USD figure include or exclude the taxes you will need to pay?

Proto if you could help that would be amazing! I quote the US dollar with it being a US site but realistically want to pay no more than £4500 but as little as possible. Long story short, I had an engagement ring that was hand made and it was poorly made. The ring is currently with a different jeweller being melted down and remade but with a different setting and the original diamonds. The current stone is .49 and is just too small so I want at least a 1ct. I would be more than happy to buy in the uk, but as you well know we dont have such a great forum for places in the UK.

proto

Shiny_Rock
Katba1ou|1401657600|3684548 said:
proto|1401656832|3684537 said:

Proto if you could help that would be amazing! I quote the US dollar with it being a US site but realistically want to pay no more than £4500 but as little as possible. Long story short, I had an engagement ring that was hand made and it was poorly made. The ring is currently with a different jeweller being melted down and remade but with a different setting and the original diamonds. The current stone is .49 and is just too small so I want at least a 1ct. I would be more than happy to buy in the uk, but as you well know we dont have such a great forum for places in the UK.

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.00-carat-f-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-234464

looks alright as long as you are okay with the inclusion

http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/three-stone-diamond-ring-lovely-trade-up-special-throwback

not quite what you were asking for but could be of interest. I would want to see the gia grading report though

Does the budget need to include taxes etc?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would forget about the 'no fluorescence' thing. And consider expanding to H.

Katba1ou

Rough_Rock
Gypsy said:
I would forget about the 'no fluorescence' thing. And consider expanding to H.
gypsy i have considered this I just don't want to be disappointed if I saw any colour. I've read something about fluorescence improving the appearance of the colour of a stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would look it up. They carry Hearts on Fire over there. If you can, go to one and ask to see G and H colored diamonds. And see for yourself.

Stive85

Shiny_Rock
Katba1ou|1401654284|3684517 said:
Hi all

I am looking into buying a pre-owned diamond as I don't have the budget to buy brand new one of the size and clarity I am looking for.

I just dont know where to start. First things first I like in the UK and diamonds are not as bigger deal over here.

The stats I am looking for in a diamond are - Round Brilliant, triple Ex, at least 1ct, G colour or better, SI1 clarity or better but has to be eye clean with no florescence. Im still a little unsure of the other stats as I still have to learn re: dimensions but any advice would be must appreciated. budget $7000-$8000

thanks,

Katie

For that budget could you not get a 1 ct with your specs for your budget? Or is the duty way too much?

Katba1ou

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1401668084|3684627 said:
I would look it up. They carry Hearts on Fire over there. If you can, go to one and ask to see G and H colored diamonds. And see for yourself.

I definitely will thankyou.

Just looking at H colour stones with faint fluorescence si1 clarity and the price difference is quite considerable!

if it were you, how much fluorescence would you go for with an H colour diamond?

thankyou for your advice so far :)

Katba1ou

Rough_Rock
Stive85|1401668626|3684633 said:
Katba1ou|1401654284|3684517 said:
Hi all

thanks,

Katie

For that budget could you not get a 1 ct with your specs for your budget? Or is the duty way too much?

yeah i guess i could but trying to save as much money as possible as this will be an upgrade

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Katba1ou|1401668673|3684634 said:
Gypsy|1401668084|3684627 said:

I definitely will thankyou.

Just looking at H colour stones with faint fluorescence si1 clarity and the price difference is quite considerable!

if it were you, how much fluorescence would you go for with an H colour diamond?

thankyou for your advice so far :)

I am happy with ANY fluorescence. I love the look of it. But if I were being conservative I would say up to Medium is not even noticeable (you should still ask to make sure the stone isn't over blue-- extremely rare-- but if it is not you are fine)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results