shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible to put a 1.25 stone in a ring currently holding a 2+ ct?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jessica_brooke

Rough_Rock
Bf and I found a really pretty setting at a local jewelry store (pretty much the only one in our price range too) and it turned out to be an estate piece. It''s currently holding a 2.2 ct diamond (just plain 4 prongs, the band had some stones and slight engraving) but it looks like we wouldnt be able to substitute a smaller diamond for it. (The 2 ct is gorg but not in our budget unfortunately!) Were looking more at 1-1.25 ct.

The jeweler made it sound like if we wanted that setting it would have to be custom made, or the whole head replaced in which case the whole ring would need to be redone custom. I''m afraid that just wouldnt be in our price range.

Is there any shot the existing ring would be able to hold a smaller diamond or is that just totally impossible?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s a huge difference in size, so probably not. Unless you want to re work the head, etc... Which to me could be very expensive. What size is the ring, keep that in mind too. If you have to go up or down a lot in size that adds up as well. Also the ring has engraving, so you want that to be kept intact. Sounds like an involved process to me, but not impossible. Depends, what you are willing to spend, to make it doable. But could be better off, doing something custom. If you love this setting, make one like it. Thus it will be tailored for your stone, no headaches in having to change so much about the existing setting. Methinks it will be cheaper in the long run.

jessica_brooke

Rough_Rock
The sales associate at the store said she was going to send pictures to someone who could make a custom version (which I'm sure will be way out of my price range and I wouldnt want to get it custom made with them as a middleman) and I asked her to send me pictures as well. Hopefully I will have them by tomorrow.

the ring looked kind of similar to this:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=200&rn=709&action=show_detail

except there were 3 smaller diamonds on either side (pave?) and then a very faintly engraved line down the center of the remaining band (kind of cutting it in half). the head was pretty similar to this head, but i dont remember if the sides sloped up like that.

It was platinum, with I believe .12 tcw - marked $750 bc it was an estate piece.

edit: I don't really care for elaborate engraved designs, although i thought that faint engraved line was kind of interesting. if it makes things a lot more complicated we could easily nix that - it wasnt a major part of the design.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d take it to a jeweler in person, it''s really hard to tell this sort of thing by description only.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
The Knox setting you linked to is fairly well priced. $590 with side diamonds is not bad. Why not go that route?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results